Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mouse problem on the DE2-70
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:11 am 

Hi All,

I have been able to migrate the Minimig/Fampiga core to the DE2-70, everything seems to be working fine, but I haven't been able to test further because I am having some strange issue with the mouse.
The mouse detects, but when I move it the cursor jumps all over the place, sometimes grabbing and releasing stuff randomly.

Have anyone seen this before?

Any insight here will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Marcelo.

Post subject: Re: Mouse problem on the DE2-70
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:32 pm 

Does this only happen on the DE2-70, or on the DE2 too?

Can you try with a different mouse?

I have seen this problem in my own projects when the mouse is sending 3-byte packets and the driver's expecting 4-byte packets or vice versa, but the Minimig's pretty robust against that and I haven't seen it happen with that core. How are you connecting the mouse? Noise on the clock line can cause issues with PS/2 comms.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:58 pm 

Hi There,

Fixed!
This was happening with a cheap PS/2 mouse which came with the (also cheap) keyboard as a combo. On the DE2-70, as I did not have a chance yet to prepare an adapter for PS/2 mouse on the DE2.
Luckily I had one of those green adapters which converts from USB to PS/2 mouses, so I tried an USB mouse with that and it worked fine. Go figure.

All seems to be good now.
The video quality of the DE2-70 is a bit worse than the DE2. Like if there's some little color "leaking" or "smeared" from the white, which makes the image appear a bit blurred. Just a little bit, not more than a real Amiga would show on a CRT monitor, but enough to bother me, lol.
Maybe this is timing, levels or just a worse VGA converter, not sure. I will check if I can improve it.
Now I am able to run some more stuff and test other applications.

I want to test now the hard disk emulation and sound. Let's see.

Cheers,
Marcelo.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:03 pm 

mockba wrote:
Fixed!
This was happening with a cheap PS/2 mouse which came with the (also cheap) keyboard as a combo. On the DE2-70, as I did not have a chance yet to prepare an adapter for PS/2 mouse on the DE2.
Luckily I had one of those green adapters which converts from USB to PS/2 mouses, so I tried an USB mouse with that and it worked fine. Go figure.

Excellent - glad to hear it's working :)

Quote:
The video quality of the DE2-70 is a bit worse than the DE2. Like if there's some little color "leaking" or "smeared" from the white, which makes the image appear a bit blurred. Just a little bit, not more than a real Amiga would show on a CRT monitor, but enough to bother me, lol.

Hmmm - are there maybe some EMI suppression capacitors on the video out that are either not present or smaller on the older DE2?

Quote:
I want to test now the hard disk emulation and sound. Let's see.

Have fun!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:52 pm 

Other emulations won't have the same issue on the DE2-70, so I am guessing it is something related to the Minimig core specifically.
It is like if the red comes up a bit earlier than other colors, so a fine vertical while line would be a little red to the left and cyan to the right.
On other emulators, or if I write a test VHDL myself, the line is white. No idea what it can be.

But let's not change topics here. It is working fine and that's what counts. Now off to test Hard Disk and try to adapt newer version of the Minimig core.

Thanks,
Marcelo.