Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 6:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: DE-1 Add-on boards arrived (UK)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:02 am 

OK, I've made up enough for those that have expressed an interest here and on Amibay, and I can spare 2 boards unpopulated for Dirk but no more unpopulated boards as I've already fitted the bird seed to all of the others. I will only buy connectors for the last ones if people want them.

One thing - I have NOT populated the SD Card slot or the Ethernet header. I have however populated the resistors and caps associated with those parts, so if you want to add them all you need to do is get the parts and do so. The one you see in the picture is mine, I included it as it shows the underside.

There are multiple reasons why I did not add these parts. Firstly, Chaos has not implemented it in the core as of now so it won't do anything anyway - and may never be (see above, they're basically for other dev boards / projects). Secondly, the SD card slot and the ethernet card would both cost as much to add as the sum of all the parts, and so would triple the cost of the parts per board, and finally, I had a fun time cutting back the metal on that SD Card holder without destroying it to be able to get to the pins and hand solder it on. It was easy enough once I'd done that though :)

I need to spend a bit more time on them to clean them up a bit (there's some excess flux round the underside of the connectors) and also to test each one properly. But the photos below basically show them done. I've tested mine and it works just fine.

I have come up with £8 for a populated board, £3 unpopulated. Plus whatever it costs me to post them. For complete openness, I have divided it up such that the cost of my own board is covered by the others, in return for ordering them in the first place and soldering them up. I'm hoping nobody has a problem with me doing that. The cost of the bare boards is a little more than just the price of the PCBs themselves, but unfortunately, otherwise the cost of parts divided between them goes up so it impacts everyone. I hope that makes sense?

Once I've tested them I'll get them weighed and be in touch about payment.

Thanks,
Martin.

Full resolution images if you want to check out my soldering:
http://www.guddler.co.uk/images/de1_pop1.jpg
http://www.guddler.co.uk/images/de1_pop2.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:35 pm 

Sorry for the delay on this people - I was not particularly well last week.

I'm hoping to get all sorted and posted this week so I'll be PM'ing shortly.

Ta,
Martin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:28 am 

Quick update - these are being posted this afternoon...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:03 pm 

Mine arrived today - many thanks :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:10 pm 

The PCBs has been arrived today.
Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:30 pm 

I guess this would work for the DE2 too, so I am interested in one.

Thanks,
Marcelo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:28 am 

Hey, Martin....I am interested in two of those...too....if you got any left...I have been busy at work and not keeping up with checking all the threads...
I got one of the expansion boards for the C3 board from MRobinson a looong time ago and I was thinking I could just plug it in or connect it with the
DE1 to use that but it doesn't have the 9-pin ports and the vga is kind of redundant...so I thought it would be cool to get one of these instead...
But actually, might it be interesting to make a new board with an 8-bit R2R DAC if the AGA core could fit in the DE-1, DE-2, DE-0 or Nano or what ever...
It might be nice if here in the community, we agree on some standard format that can be used across all the boards...since most of the altera boards
have two 40-pin GPIO's ....