Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: DE-1 Add-on boards arrived (UK)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 am 

I don't know if anyone is going to be interested in one, but Chaos kindly pointed me to the files he had produced and I duly submitted them to a PCB fab in China. Some weeks later, postman knocks with a small box :)

I haven't priced up or sourced the components yet. I will of course make up 1 to test first, make sure the PCB fab has not gone wrong but on visual inspection everything looks how it should. I have 11. There was a minimum order of 10 so that is what I ordered. 11 arrived.

Any interest, let me know. They will be sold populated, pretty much at cost to keep it in the spirit of things. I may add a small amount for taking the time to assemble them but it won't be much, probably just round up to the nearest amount.

2 x Joystick, 1 x PS/2 Mouse, 1 x Micro SD-Card*, 1 x Ethernet header*

*Ethernet and SD-Card may or may not be implemented in the core.

[EDIT] I just noticed the SD Card socket is going to be a nightmare for me to solder on as I don't have any hot air kit. I have soldered plenty of SMT stuff using normal methods before, it just depends what I can find in the way of sockets that give access to the pins from the top. Will have to see what I can do on that but if it's too hard for me then I may have to shift them without the socket on. Will see.

Post subject: Re: DE-1 Add-on boards arrived (UK)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:45 am 

Hi, if it helps you, here is the BOM for the board.

Basically, you need 0805 SMD resistors, but for hand-soldering you might want to use smaller ones - the 0603 sized ones. There are 14 2k7 Ohm resistors and 4 1k Ohm resistors used for mouse, keyboard and joysticks.
The 10k SPI pullups for ethernet and SD card can be omitted, as well as the ethernet header and the SPI card holder - those two are meant for different board.
The pin headers are standard 2.54mm dimension - basically should look the same as the connector of the old parallel-ATA cable. The female headers are mounted from the back, of course. All other elements are mounted on the front. The joystick male DB9 connectors should be pretty standard, I guess. The mouse connector I used is this one.
Capacitors are not strictly necessary, but if you want to use them, use either ceramic SMD types or tantalum, the capacity needn't be exact value (the same goes for resistors, you can use +- 10%).

Cheers!

Code:
C3V3     10u     CPOL-EUCT3216 CT3216       POLARIZED CAPACITOR, European symbol                                         
C5V      10u     CPOL-EUCT3216 CT3216       POLARIZED CAPACITOR, European symbol                                         
DE1_GPIO         PINHD-2X20    2X20         PIN HEADER                                                                   
ETH              PINHD-2X5     2X05         PIN HEADER                                                                   
JOYA             M09-182       182-009-MALE SUB-D                                                    unknown    unknown 
JOYB             M09-182       182-009-MALE SUB-D                                                    unknown    unknown 
JP3V3            JP1E          JP1          JUMPER                                                                       
JP5V             JP1E          JP1          JUMPER                                                                       
MOU              MDSSV-BC06    SSV-BC06     YAMAICHI CONNECTOR                                       unknown    unknown 
RJA1     2k7     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RJA2     2k7     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RJA3     2k7     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RJA4     2k7     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RJA5     2k7     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RJA6     2k7     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RJA9     2k7     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RJB1     2k7     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RJB2     2k7     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RJB3     2k7     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RJB4     2k7     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RJB5     2k7     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RJB6     2k7     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RJB9     2k7     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RM1      1k      R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RM2      1k      R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RM3      1k      R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RM4      1k      R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RS1      10k     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RS2      10k     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
RS3      10k     R-EU_R0805    R0805        RESISTOR, European symbol                                                   
SDCARD   MICROSD MICROSD       MICROSD      Micro-SD / Transflash card holder with SPI pinout                           

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:06 pm 

Thank you - that helps a lot. And thanks again for letting me get some made up. I have no idea if anyone else will be interested but even if they are not the PCBs really didn't cost very much at all so it doesn't matter.

It helps immensely if I don't need to add the SD Card socket :P

I would probably add it to my own one in case I ever wanted it for some other project. I'm like that :)

Out of interest, is it used on some other publicly available project, or just something you have done personally?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:41 pm 

The SD socket is there 'just in case' I might need it on the DE1-SoC board (which has its own SD card socket, but it is connected to the ARM side). BTW, most of the Terasic boards have the same expansion connector. The ethernet might be used someday on the DE1, but currently no project uses it. It is meant to be connected to the standard ENC28J60 breakout board. Both the ethernet and the SD card were added in the last minute, so I'm not even 100% sure they will work ;) (they probably will, though - they are both just a simple SPI bus with some pullups).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:53 pm 

lol! ok, understood. Like you, it makes sense on my own board that I populate those two "just in case". I'll probably never use them but if I don't populate them then I certainly won't.

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:04 am 

Excellent - I'd be interested in a couple of these. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:42 am 

No problem. To start off with I ordered enough components to make up 5 (no ethernet or micro-sd). One of the guys on Amibay wants 2 and I obviously want 1 so that's all of them for now.

I used a new place I spotted for the components that was really cheap but I couldn't be 100% sure if they were really UK based or HK based, hence not wanting to order it all in one go. If they really are UK based and I don't have to wait weeks for the components then I'll make up the others as well :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:26 pm 

I am also interested in one or two bare pcbs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:56 pm 

At the moment I don't know if I'm letting the PCBs go unpopulated as it will depend how many people want them populated and the minimum order quantities for the parts. Trust me though when I say that the prices I've found the components for will be hard to beat. I'm just waiting with baited breath to find out whether they are really in the UK like they say they are or if they are really in China.

All the components I've ordered to date were dispatched today so if they've arrived by Wednesday then I guess they really are in the UK!

Will update when I've built up the ones that I've ordered components for (which are all spoken for).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:07 pm 

MartinW wrote:
Trust me though when I say that the prices I've found the components for will be hard to beat.

I trust you but i have already all the components here @ home. :D