Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Anyone running Minimig on a DE2-70?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:17 am 

Hello there,

I wonder if anyone has already been able to run Minimig on a DE2-70.
I got myself one in an attempt to run some Z80 CP/M retrocomputers, and then tried to get Minimig to run on it.
So far no success, so I am wondering if anyone else has attempted or succeeded, so we could share ideas.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers,
Marcelo.

Post subject: Re: Anyone running Minimig on a DE2-70?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:10 am 

I tried and failed to get minimig-de1-rel6 working on the base model DE2 board. I'm sure the problem's something simple but I haven't had time to tinker with it since.

I did succeed in building an earlier release for the DE2, but had to add timing constraints for the SDRAM.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:48 pm 

Hi,

maybe this build of release 5 will work for you (I haven't tested it, since I don't have a DE2 board, but it should work):
http://meditation.somuch.guru/minimig/f ... 2-rel5.zip

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:16 am 

Hi there.

Unfortunately code for the DE2 won't run on the DE2-70 without great changes. Not only the pinouts but also the memories are different, which requires some level of translation that I am still learning how to do.
I got the DE2-70 believing it would be a more suitable option, as it is more powerful, but that was a big mistake as there are so many differences.
I wonder if anyone was ever able to make it work. I will keep trying.

Cheers,
Marcelo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:17 am 

In fact I believe a DE1 to DE2-70 conversion has a better chance.
Still researching on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:19 pm 

mockba wrote:
Not only the pinouts but also the memories are different, which requires some level of translation that I am still learning how to do.

Ah I see. The larger SDRAM should be easy enough - provided the width is the same, it should just be a case of tying any extra address lines to '0', but SSRAM vs. SRAM is a bigger challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:27 pm 

That's exactly what I am trying to figure out.
If it would be easier to substitute SRAM by SDRAM somehow, or SSRAM.
The DE2-70 having SSRAM instead of SRAM got me confused. I have tried to adapt other simpler projects to the SSRAM but so far no success. The synchronous part, needing a clock and stuff, makes the translation not straightforward.
So far I have been able to translate only projects which won't need external memory, like Multicomp.
I wonder if there is some kind of "recipe" or "best practice" when doing this (if possible at all) either to SDRAM or SSRAM.

Cheers,
Marcelo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:31 pm 

Hi,

sorry, I didn't notice you were talking about the DE2-70, I forget that there are multiple versions of the DE2 board ;) Of course the 'normal' DE2 build will not work on that board.

There shouldn't be that much differences between the boards, so you can easily start with the existing DE2 port (which, by the way, only has minimal differences to the DE1 port). The last known working version was minimig-de2-rel5 made by MasterOfGizmo I believe. For some reason the latest release (rel6) doesn't work, like MMrobinsonb5 said, it's probably a timing problem on SRAM or SDRAM.

Your best bet to make it work on the DE2-70 is to write a SSRAM controller and replace the existing SRAM controller. I guess that shouldn't be too hard, since SSRAM shouldn't be that different from SRAM, with the difference of the required clock.

Somewhat less desirable approach would be to use the SDRAM as SRAM replacement. The interface logic is already written (here: https://github.com/rkrajnc/minimig-de1/ ... m_bridge.v), you just have to attach it to the free SDRAM controller port, do the necessary address translation (I don't remember where exactly, but there is a part of SDRAM that isn't used by the Amiga side), and connect the bridge to the SRAM port on the qmem_bus module.

When I find some time, I can help you with this if you want. If you will start working on this yourself, feel free to ask if you will have any problems.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:12 pm 

Hi Chaos,

Thanks for the reply.
I will give the SRAM -> SSRAM conversion a try, but if I can't make that fly then I may need help with the SDRAM part.
Maybe I can give remote access to my board over a VM running Quartus? Not sure if that would help.
Anyways, let me try some of the options, as I hate to go asking for help without having tried to make it work myself first.

Cheers,
Marcelo.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:35 am 

Hi Chaos and others,

I believe I have been able to translate the connections and pinouts to the point that it is working.
At least when I flip the SW[0] and the SW[9] I get a black 800x600x54hz screen.
So I guess it is running, but I may be missing a boot rom or something.
I guess I need to load something on the internal flash, but I don't know how to do that exactly.

Maybe someone can offer some step-by-step guidance here?

Thanks a lot,
Marcelo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next