Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anyone running Minimig on a DE2-70?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:28 pm 

I have shared all the projects I have running so far at http://1drv.ms/1H5ztoX
I will get e better option for sharing files later, but so far this is what I have. All these projects will be featured on a blog later (fpgacores.blogspot.com - still under construction).
I have uploaded there the Minimig for the DE2 and the DE2-70.

Cheers,
Marcelo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:07 pm 

chaos wrote:
minimig - as an opensource project - requires both active developers *AND* active users, and it is missing on both fronts.

As far as possible I will keep on supporting the Minimig chipset.
Sure there are limits in time and ability, but still a few bugs are fixed and a few new function are add.
Next core/source release could be in april... when there is time for it.

Active users are welcome to report any trouble.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:52 pm 

Hi Boing4000,

I am willing to help porting/testing your future (and current) release into the Altera DE2-70 (or the DE2 and DE1 too).
So I would like to request:
1. Have means, maybe by the flick of a switch (or pressing F1 during the boot, like on Robinson's code) to change the video frequency, so my monitor will show some image, otherwise all I get is an "out of sync" or similar message.
2. Some minimal documentation on the steps to get it running. Robinson's code required me to follow a lot of steps which are not clearly documented to my rookie level (as I posted on an earlier message in this thread), so any small step-by-step instruction is most welcome.
3. Where can I find your latest core sources? A Google search shows me you are an active developer, but out of the many ports of the code, where is yours located?

Thanks a lot,
Marcelo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:24 pm 

Hi Marcelo,

I hope my post didn't come across as some sort of a personal accusation. I didn't mean to single you out as a non-cooperating user or something like that, I was just trying to make a point ;) As far as I'm concerned, you're doing a great job, especially with sharing your work for the DE2 & DE2-70 boards.

Can I just suggest to maybe use a code repository, something like Github or Bitbucket for your changes? It certainly makes tracking changes for others much simpler.

Quote:
Have means, maybe by the flick of a switch (or pressing F1 during the boot, like on Robinson's code) to change the video frequency, so my monitor will show some image, otherwise all I get is an "out of sync" or similar message

If you mean a PAL/NTSC switch, you could change the 'NTSC' parameter in Minimig1.v to 1, and also change the default value of the chipset_config[1] to 1 to always enable NTSC on boot.

Boing4000 usually publishes his releases here, in this forum.

By the way, boing4000:
there seems to be a bug in the CIA timer implementation, are you already aware of that? I haven't figured it out yet ...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:57 am 

I know... by now I only can select between 2 bugs in the CIA TOD behaviour.
One will keep Batman The Movie from showing its title screen and the other will crash (Flabios) Flimbo's Quest.

A universal working solution still is missing. Any idea is welcome :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:59 am 

Hi Chaos,

Nice to know there's a way to trigger NTSC by file configuration... this opens me the option to use other code sources with my monitor.
I plan to use github at some point, it will make things easy for me too, to keep track of my code changes (I make it a backup).
I just need to figure out how to use it.

Cheers,
Marcelo.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:45 am 

boing4000 wrote:
One will keep Batman The Movie from showing its title screen and the other will crash Flabios Quest.

I must laugh a lot about your funny blooper "Flabios Quest". I think, Flimbo will be very disappointed, that he is now replaced by Flabio in this game. :D Maybe Flimbo is to famous now and wanted to much salary, so the producers must react? :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:37 am 

Flabio's Quest is some Italian band, right? :)

I guess I finally got Github figured out. I should have a repository up in a few days. Let's see.
I am working on a (yet another) Z80 CP/M computer emulation right now, so it may take me some time to get back to the minimig environment.

Cheers,
Marcelo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:31 am 

boing4000 wrote:
I know... by now I only can select between 2 bugs in the CIA TOD behaviour.
One will keep Batman The Movie from showing its title screen and the other will crash (Flabios) Flimbo's Quest.

A universal working solution still is missing. Any idea is welcome :)

Hi boing4000,

I spent some more time on this bug today, and I think I have a solution. FSB120420 release made most of the proper updates, there are just some changes required:

- timer D output latch control should un-latch (set latch_ena to 1) only if tlo is valid (=1)
- timer D output latch control should latch (set latch_ena to 0) only if thi is valid (=1) AND if alarm is not selected
- TOD counter should stop counting (set count_ena to 0) only if thi is valid (=1).

This enables both Flimbo's Quest and Batman the Movie to work OK.

I'll try to build a core with this updates for the original minimig board in the evening, so this can be tested and made sure no regressions were made.

To be sure this is completely correct, a few simple tests should be done on a real Amiga.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:54 pm 

chaos wrote:
FSB120420 release made most of the proper updates, there are just some changes required:

- timer D output latch control should un-latch (set latch_ena to 1) only if tlo is valid (=1)
- timer D output latch control should latch (set latch_ena to 0) only if thi is valid (=1) AND if alarm is not selected
- TOD counter should stop counting (set count_ena to 0) only if thi is valid (=1).

Hi chaos

Funny thing is that I did the same proposal for an update to TOD output latch control 2 month ago :). Unfortunately I didn't have HW to verify it and it seems it has been forgotten.
http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php ... 4&page=142

Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next