Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Problems with new DE-1
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:15 pm 

Thank you so much for spending some more time on this! Early tests are good. The OSD doesn't crash the system any more and in Alien Breed I don't get odd graphics issues any more but I'll give it a good test drive this evening when I have a bit more time :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:32 pm 

OK, a better update now. I spent some time on it this afternoon.

I have one oddity, and one very minor glitch, otherwise I think it's fine. And those things may be normal for a Minimig implementation on DE1 for all I know?

So I spent the afternoon trying the things that I had to hand. As already previously noted things are immediately hugely better, the OSD doesn't crash the system and things generally work. I was able to boot and play ProjectX SE, Xenon 2 and WB3.1 from disk. I was able to create a couple of hard files and install first WB3.1, then BetterWB, again, all fine.

So, the oddities...

Alien Breed - I've previously played this fine on the Minimig. I don't recall which version but it was certainly one of the versions where it would take me a lot of resetting to get it to work. When I say I've played before, I mean using Joystick emulation. Now however, the joystick emulation works enough to get me into the game and to start a game, but once in the game itself the emulated joystick fire button no longer works. That's certainly odd!!

The other thing that I noticed which could indicate still having something very marginal timing wise is that when I was at the desktop installing "BetterWB" to the hard file, over the course of unzipping all four of the disks 3 random pixels appeared on the desktop and stayed there. No other adverse effects, but I thought I'd mention it.

So generally, I'd say that's a result and it's now about time I thought about building the mouse / joystick adapter.

Is there a list of games / disks that have been tested against the DE1 build, or is it just a case of reading through the forum archives?

Thanks,
Martin.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:22 am 

I tried this on two different DE1 boards and it works!
One board has PSC -G7 SDRAM and ISSI -10TL SRAM
One board has Zentel -G6 SDRAM and ISSI 10TL SRAM

I am just assuming 7ns and 100ns
and 6ns and 100ns

I will test the other rel6 b1, b2 as well...

-Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:35 am 

rel6 b2 (72MHz- 4014 Dhry) works but is slower than rel6 b2(testing 3)
rel6 b2(testing 3) 79MHz- 4573 Dhry)!!! Almost on par with A3000!!!
Also all switches are up...
I noticed that if I use SDHCmicro cards with adapters...they just don't work correctly...
but most if not all SDHC and regular SD cards work always
I thought it was my memory as well...but after switching to full size SD cards instead of the SDHCmicro class 10 32GB cards in the adapter that they come with...it works!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:23 pm 

I just noticed an interesting post on AtariAge: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/213827 ... try2914683

So that's, what, an on-chip termination setting?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:39 pm 

Thats not an overly descriptive post over there though :) Doesn't say what problem it's referring to, or provide any details of the setting! I assumed it was a hardware mod to the board until further down someone asks just that and is told that it's a software setting!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:02 am 

They probably meant FPGA's pin current strength setting, but best to ask foft what they told him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:49 am 

chaos wrote:
They probably meant FPGA's pin current strength setting

Well yes, that's what I thought at first (and in fact on the Xilinx board I've been playing with recently I couldn't get the SDRAM to work reliably until I dropped the drive strength) - but drive strength is generally specified in terms of mA rather than Ohms, yes? I've just had a quick poke around in Quartus, and there's a "Termination" option that can be applied to pins in the Assignment Editor, and for the DE1 can be set to "off", "25 Ohms" or "50 Ohms".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:16 pm 

MMrobinsonb5 wrote:
Well yes, that's what I thought at first (and in fact on the Xilinx board I've been playing with recently I couldn't get the SDRAM to work reliably until I dropped the drive strength) - but drive strength is generally specified in terms of mA rather than Ohms, yes?

More or less same thing, different perspective ;)

Quote:
I've just had a quick poke around in Quartus, and there's a "Termination" option that can be applied to pins in the Assignment Editor, and for the DE1 can be set to "off", "25 Ohms" or "50 Ohms".

Interesting, I didn't think that would work at all for non - differential signaling, let alone for 3V TTL/CMOS levels. Live and learn, I guess :)
So the setting to try is 25Ohms? I'll try to build a core with that setting enabled. Just to be sure, I'll try one with lowered Drive strentgh also.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:25 pm 

Hello, the above referenced post from AA forum is a discussion about my DE1. I sent my DE1 back to DigiKey per their request so they could test the board. They then sent the board to Terasic for their engineers to try and figure out what was going on. I have a couple of emails from Terasic's engineers with suggestions.

Email excerpts:

We have received the DE1 boards you sent back to us. There is some suggestion from our engineers on speeding up the SRAM module by adding the 25 ohm serial terminal resistors onto the board.
-----------------------------------------

Dear Mark,

We have modified your project by setting an 25 ohm serial terminal resistor with the 3.3V I/O standard.

I am not sure if there is any other DE1 board you have on hand, could you help to run it for a test? And let us know if it can statisdy your requirement. Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------

A few weeks back I was given a refund from DigiKey so I don't know if I will get anymore updates.

Hopes this helps.

Thanks,
Mark

Edit: Another update Terasic support.

We have made some modification onto the source codes by adding some constrains as:

set_input_delay -max -clock CLOCK_50 -1.5 [get_ports SRAM_DQ*]
set_input_delay -min -clock CLOCK_50 -1.5 [get_ports SRAM_DQ*]

And we got the test result as the video showing online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIVKv8lU ... hfLrTOjEhA .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next