Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: minimig-de1-rel6 betas
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:55 pm 

Hi everybody,

it is time for an another release for the DE1 board and later hopefully for the others. I think it's best to test some things out first, so I'll post a few beta releases for anyone interested to try.

Here are the current changes for this release:
- the TG68K.c core memory accesses are slowed down a bit to hopefully allow bigger caches to work, I'll see if I can use MMrobinsonb5's cache implementation later on
- included updates to the TG68K.c core by Tobiflex, some games (like Lost Vikings) now work OK
- updated handling of joystick & mouse buttons to allow Asterix game to work
- the 'Amiga-side' serial port is now added on the DE1 board, I rewrote the serial core written by madeho to Verilog (allows 9bit serial mode)
- a fix for fastRAM handling when there is 0 fastRAM configured - fixes games like Wizkid & Stardust
- fixed floppy write error
- extended the OSD SPI protocol so it can handle more config data
- the OSD SPI protocol is now also used to upload the kickstart image
- added mouse movement emulation on keypad
- removed (non-working) ActionReplay, to be replaced with HRTmon later on
- + anything I forgot ;)

There will be more changes before the proper rel6 release.

So if anyone is interested in testing this, I'd be grateful. A few things to consider though: because of the removal of 68k boot code, there is currently no boot screen until I come up with something to replace it. Don't be alarmed if all you see at boot is a black screen :) I'd like the loading of different kickstart images to be tested, both by manually selecting the kickstart image, or by loading a config with a different kickstart than the current.

Oh, as always, keyboard mouse & joystick emulation is enabled with the NumLock key, the KP_SLASH & KP_STAR keys are mouse buttons, the numeric keypad is for mouse movement, the cursor keys are for joystick movement and the LCTRL and LALT keys are for joystick fire.

Please report if the kickstart has trouble loading, or any other problems you might encounter. Thanks!

http://www.krajnc.org/files/minimig-de1 ... el6-b1.zip

Last edited by chaos on Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: minimig-de1-rel6
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:25 pm 

Hi Chaos!

I've been trying to test this version, but all I get is no video signal an F 88 on the 7segment display. Nothing seems to load from SD.

I recall there was a testing release you made that had the same symptoms in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:17 pm 

Hi Gaula!

Thanks for testing this. Firstly, make sure you also update the de1_boot.bin file on the SD card. Also put all switches on the DE1 board in the up position. Can you attach a serial cable to the board? That would allow you to see the debug output from the ctrl CPU. Otherwise, please describe what red LEDs are turned on / blinking.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:18 pm 

you don't have to thank me for testing! I should be thanking you for this incredible core port maintenance and bugfixing, wich makes the DE1 worth every penny :D

I got it to work (switches UP was the key, and now I remember you already told me that with last version, sorry!).
I've been playing some Lost Vikings, GODS, Wizzkid, Stardust, Dimo's Quest and Archon with no problems whatsoever!
What could I test next? I'm going to play more and more games as days pass (there are literally hundreds of whdload and non-whdload installs on my HDFs), but it's getting very hard to find problematic software (wich is a GOOD thing!).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:47 pm 

gaula92 wrote:
you don't have to thank me for testing! I should be thanking you for this incredible core port maintenance and bugfixing, wich makes the DE1 worth every penny :D

OK, than I will say that you testing it is greatly appreciated! :) Seriously, it's great someone else tries it, as the boards do have some variations, (mainly the SDRAM chip!) and I want to be sure it will work on all DE1 boards.

Quote:
I got it to work (switches UP was the key, and now I remember you already told me that with last version, sorry!).

Great! :) And I will remove the annoying switch mappings, they are there just for testing anyway.

Quote:
I've been playing some Lost Vikings, GODS, Wizzkid, Stardust, Dimo's Quest and Archon with no problems whatsoever!
What could I test next? I'm going to play more and more games as days pass (there are literally hundreds of whdload and non-whdload installs on my HDFs), but it's getting very hard to find problematic software (wich is a GOOD thing!).

For now I just wanted to be sure that the new kickstart loading code works OK. The core will need much more testing once I start to poke the SDRAM cache again, which will be soon. You can also keep an eye on mouse buttons if they work OK.

Oh, and is there any feature you would like me to port to the original minimig board? I was thinking at least the keyboard mouse emulation, that is very little code and comes in handy if you, like me, can't find the PS/2 mouse often ;) The new SPI protocol will be of course ported too, once I clean it up some more. I forgot to mention I'm also trying out code for real Amiga mouse connected to joystick ports (will be in beta2), I could add that to the original minimig, too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:06 pm 

Hi Chaos,
i tried the new core and it works really very well.
In the beginning i had a problem with the ar3.rom on the sd-card because the firmware load it and stopped. After renaming the file it works without problems.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:19 pm 

Dirk wrote:
Hi Chaos,
i tried the new core and it works really very well.
In the beginning i had a problem with the ar3.rom on the sd-card because the firmware load it and stopped. After renaming the file it works without problems.

Great, thanks! I'll remove the code for loading AR3.ROM in the next beta.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:22 pm 

On the original Minimig board, I would LOVE to see:

-Fast RAM instead of SLOW RAM. I think in the original board RAM access is multiplexed for CPU and chipset so it isn't really possible, but maybe some cache magic would make for FAST-like RAM so games like Loom Monkey Island or Waxworks would be faster on 7MHz CPU speed, as it happens on the DE1 port already. Having higher CPU speeds on the Minimig V1.1 causes these games to skip notes in music, so the only way to have them running at a perfect speed (as they run on the DE1) is FAST RAM and 7 or 14MHz cpu.
The Minimig V1.1 is only 7MHz or ...too fast ~50MHz! :D

-A 14MHz CPU speed option, for the same reason pointer above, even if FAST-like RAM isn't possible.

-Joystick emulation mapped the same as on the DE1 port: I mean, Arrows + Left CTRL + Left ALT. Num keypad for joystick is just horrible for my hands :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:19 am 

Just spent a happy hour playing with the new DE1 core :) Not encountered any new problems - everything's working nicely.

One problem - which I've mentioned before - but I'll reiterate now: joystick emulation doesn't intercept and block the cursor key and control keypresses - so a game which monitors both keyboard and joystick will see both kinds of events. This makes it impossible to play Zeewolf 2 with joystick emulation, since every press of the ctrl key toggles between mouse and joystick. It also makes it impossible to navigate the menus in XJ200 without temporarily turning off the joystick emulation.

As a "wishlist" feature - support for real Amiga mice! (The Chameleon port has it ;) )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:04 am 

MMrobinsonb5 wrote:
Just spent a happy hour playing with the new DE1 core :) Not encountered any new problems - everything's working nicely.

Great!

Quote:
One problem - which I've mentioned before - but I'll reiterate now: joystick emulation doesn't intercept and block the cursor key and control keypresses - so a game which monitors both keyboard and joystick will see both kinds of events. This makes it impossible to play Zeewolf 2 with joystick emulation, since every press of the ctrl key toggles between mouse and joystick. It also makes it impossible to navigate the menus in XJ200 without temporarily turning off the joystick emulation.

Ah, yes, I forgot about that. I'll see what can be done. I guess disabling the keyboard completely when joystick/mouse emulation isn't such a great way to handle this ... ;)

Quote:
As a "wishlist" feature - support for real Amiga mice! (The Chameleon port has it ;) )

Nice, less work for me ;)