Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Bug in TG68K
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:22 am 

gaula92 wrote:
Master of Gizmo: Any chance of an Atari ST port to the DE1? :D

Why not? But sure not by me, i don't even have a DE1. But someone could grab my code. Should even be possible to run it on the original minimig.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:00 am 

TOS 2.06 boots fine with the 68020 parts enabled and the sysinfo tool reports an 68020 cpu. However, booting with the 68010 results in TOS "throwing 4 bombs" which means it ran into an illegal instruction trap.

The same TOS versions runs fine on emulators with 68010 enabled. I'll check which exact instruction is triggering this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:29 am 

gaula92:

Here's a testing version, but it might have some stability issues, as I'm still testing some things. I'll do a proper release over the weekend.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/524989/minimig_de1.pof
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/524989/minimig_de1.sof

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:50 pm 

Master of Gizmo wrote:
However, booting with the 68010 results in TOS "throwing 4 bombs" which means it ran into an illegal instruction trap.

I can't reproduce that now. The effect i now have is that the cpu is always detected as 68020 regardless if i configure the tg68k for 68010 or 68020

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:40 am 

@chaos: thanks! Testing today. What should I test to help you?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:46 pm 

OK, I've been testing a TON of games. I didn't found any non-working one on the DE1 port. It's coming a LONG way!! GODS Whdload works also! :D

In the other hand, what's with mouse? I have two options and none of them works:

-A PS/2 mouse I use on the Minimig V1.1 board, connected on the PS/2 port (wich I fixed to support mouse & keyboard using an Y cable, by soldering a resistor under the board as you may remember).
The mouse is recognized by it moves wrong on the X axis, as if it was broken. But this mouse works perfect on the Minimig V1.1 board.

-An actual Amiga mouse on the joystick port of the joystick board Mmrobinsonb5 made for me last year: it doesn't move but I can enter early boot by pressing both buttons (port1) or it detects axis movements as joystick button presses.

Anyhow, I couldn't find how to use a mouse with it. I'd bet I used one of those in the past...
I'm also having problems with the latest Chameleon release: only Amiga mouse on Docking Station port1 works. PS/2 mouse has movement problems.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:09 pm 

gaula92 wrote:
-An actual Amiga mouse on the joystick port of the joystick board Mmrobinsonb5 made for me last year: it doesn't move but I can enter early boot by pressing both buttons (port1) or it detects axis movements as joystick button presses.

Tobiflex added support for actual Amiga mice to the Chameleon core back when the Docking Station first came out. I daresay it'd be possible to backport to the DE1 codebase. Do real Amiga mice work on the "real" Minimig, by the way?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:10 pm 

gaula92:

Thanks for your info & testing. It's good to hear so many games working, thanks to boing4000 & Tobiflex!

I don't know why the PS/2 mouse doesn't work for you, it works fine here. What do you mean by 'it moves wrong on the X axis'? Does it move erratically, moves in the wrong direction, ...? I have to say I never tried a real mouse on the DE1, but I do remember having some problems with one of the joysticks, it is possible I messed something up when I juggled some pin mappings around.

I don't remember seeing any code in the minimig source that would allow a real Amiga mouse to work on the DE1, as MMrobinsonb5 mentioned that part probably still needs to be added. I'll look into that.

If you want, you can test a new build for the DE1 - I added read caching of the kickstart memory area and expanded the CPU instruction cache. I'm still having some problems with the CPU data cache, so that is not enabled. The caches should minimize any impact on compatibility, as the kickstart cache only helps to speed up fastRAM accesses, and the CPU cache is only for the fastRAM, also, so all games should work flawlessly. For now, SysInfo reports a very small increase in speed, but SysSpeed reports around a 50% increase on average.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/524989/minimig_de1.pof
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/524989/minimig_de1.sof

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:05 am 

@chaos: thanks for the new version to experiment with!
However, something strange happened to my DE1 after flashing these versions. I don't know what I did, but it won't boot the Minimig core anymore. All I get is a blue screen and F__00 on the digit display. I reformated several SD cards and copied de1_boot.bin to these cards, with no luck.
I suspect I somehow damaged the board. The 1ChipMSX core seems to boot anyway.
Sorry I can't keep testing :(

@MMrobinsonb5: I just tried a real Amiga mouse on the Minimiv V1.1 board and it doesn't work at all... Wow, I thought it would work for sure! I took it for granted, but it's not the case.

EDIT: The 1ChipMSX core is able to access the SD card without problems. I guess the board is not damaged but these Minimig builds worked on pure luck first time. Stability issues? Are there more DE1 owners to test?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:21 pm 

Same problems here. None of the last testcores are working anymore.
I get a blue screen. Sometimes a few lines of the logo apear. No messages on the serial port.
Only Testcore Rel5 still boot up.