Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: My one year minimig-de1 anniversary :)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:08 pm 

@chaos: Wizkid is fixed!!!! Works great! And you're right: the TKK version is broken. Sorry: I didn't test it beyond the flashing green screen. It also fails on real Minimiv V1.1 board and physical Amiga 600 :P

So, resuming:
-TKK ADF version is broken. Let's forget about it :P
-HQC ADF version works great on DE1.
-WHDLOAD version works GREAT on the DE1 now, too! (Zero loading times... yay!)

Chaos, it's getting to a point where it's hard to find failing games: I've tried a lot of them with this latest test core, and everything I throw at it seems to work! I've tried like 50-70 games this morning and no one failed at all, from known to unknown tittles.
The softcore is becoming as compatible as the phisical 68000. Awesome work!!

What games could I test meanwhile?
I can't recognize what games would do something strange or exotic with the CPU bu just looking at them, but maybe you can give me general ideas or testing lines. As I said, failing games seem to be scarce by now: I can't list one after a morning of intensive testing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:30 pm 

Excellent news!

A couple of games that spring to mind are:
Kid Chaos (never worked on any kind of Minimig as far as I know.)
Stardust (I forget which crack now, but the the ADFs I have work fine on the real Minimig, but not on any TG68-based variant I've tried so far. I'll post the exact version later - but give me a nudge if I forget.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:11 pm 

@MMrobinsonb5 & Chaos:

There are three Kid Chaos releases, now tested on the latest Altera DE1 test core:
-FLT release: works perfect.
-PSG release: works perfect.
-WHDLoad HD install: works perfect.

There are three Stardust releases, now tested on the latest Altera DE1 test core:
-FLT release: Doesn't work. Hangs on black screen after asking for disk2 and reading some tracks.
-CLS-ZNT release: Doesn't work. Hangs on black screen after asking for disk2 and disk1 sequentially.
-WHDLoad HD install: works perfect. No problems at all!

ADF versions were tested different memory configurations and KS versions, included "compatible" mode with KS1.3 and 1MB chip and no fast or slow ram.

Both Stardust releases DO work on a real Minimiv V1.1 board, as noted by MMRobinsonb5.

I have included the first 2 disks of both Stardust releases in this post so you can see what's wrong. I'm not including disk 3 to save space, but you can get it from the EAB official file server here:
ftp://ftp.magix.ws/Commodore_Amiga/TOSEC/Games/%5BADF%5D%20(TOSEC-v2012-12-24_CM)/S/
(User: ftp@magix.ws Pass: ftp@magix.ws)

These are the features of the Whdload version, since I suppose some of these modifications is allowing the game to work on the DE1 in Whdload but NOT from ADF, as noted before.
Quote:
Features:
- full load from HD
- copy protection removed
- access faults fixed
- blitter waits inserted
- load/save highscore + password
- skip intro option (set CUSTOM1=1 tooltype)
- nice NI/MWB icons included

Whdload version can be downloaded here:

http://whdownload.com/games/Pack-S-2007-01-30/Stardust_v1.4_2102.zip

Attachments:
Stardust_2rels.zip [2.87 MiB]
Downloaded 98 times

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:53 pm 

Great, thank you gaula92 for all the testing!

I don't have any suggestions on which games to try, I think that doing what you do is just fine: testing known games to see if any are failing, and testing unknown ones to see if there are any new problems. So, just carry on ;)

I think I wrote down a few games that didn't work way back, I'll see if I can find it.

For now, we can focus on Stardust.

MMrobinsonb5: did you by any chance get ActionReplay working on any TG68K - based boards?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:02 pm 

chaos wrote:
MMrobinsonb5: did you by any chance get ActionReplay working on any TG68K - based boards?

I'm afraid not. In actual fact I haven't done a great deal on the Minimig itself in the last few months - I've been pre-occupied with family stuff, and also helping Majsta with his A600 project. I'm hoping to get back into it now, anyway.

It also seems that I was mistaken about Kid Chaos not working on the "real" Minimig - sorry about that, but good to hear that it works on the new core. It certainly fails on the "old" TG68k.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:41 pm 

chaos wrote:

I don't have any suggestions on which games to try, I think that doing what you do is just fine: testing known games to see if any are failing, and testing unknown ones to see if there are any new problems. So, just carry on ;)

I think I wrote down a few games that didn't work way back, I'll see if I can find it.

Hello,

you can try Shadow of the beast : the sprites were not correctly displayed (i.e. the red "IN" arrow above the well in the 1st level).

Regards,

Frederic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:05 pm 

frenchshark wrote:
chaos wrote:

Hello,

you can try Shadow of the beast : the sprites were not correctly displayed (i.e. the red "IN" arrow above the well in the 1st level).

Regards,

Frederic

Yeah, so you can take the resulting fixes by the people here and release another half-arsed piece of crap with closed sources based on other people's work without even crediting them (something I guess will happen after all anyway).
I should simply ignore your words, but I can't stand people like you. Test SOTB yourself if you want to. Bah.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:13 am 

gaula92 wrote:
frenchshark wrote:
chaos wrote:

Hello,

Regards,

Frederic

Yeah, so you can take the resulting fixes by the people here and release another half-arsed piece of crap with closed sources based on other people's work without even crediting them (something I guess will happen after all anyway).
I should simply ignore your words, but I can't stand people like you. Test SOTB yourself if you want to. Bah.

I don't have to since the J68 does not have this bug.

voila.

Frederic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:12 am 

I have a couple of things that I would like mention...I don't think that I have seen them anywhere...
But when using DBLPAL or VGA or other Super_HIRES modes...they don't come out correctly...
I thought that maybe if I used DBLPAL or VGA modes I might be about to switch SW1 to the down position to
display them correctly but it actually does go to 15KHz mode...and HIRES Laced modes do actually show interlaced
in the up position...am I doing something wrong? or has only scan double been implemented? Is the SW1 actually a hardware
switch that wouldn't allow you to hook it up to a multiscan monitor? cause even when I check it with a scope it shows 15khz even in VGA mode...

I am using some opamps to try and build a converter to run through the D-terminal connector on my TV...doesn't have vga...
it is an old hi-vision crt tv (japanese)...I suppose it could all be done inside the DE1 using one of the de1 so that a normal vga to component cable could be used just like with some laptops with chips sets that support it...

Cheers...

Sjamaan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:38 am 

Until now the Minimig-OCS/ECS core do not support variable beam counter.
The horizontal clock is hard-wired to 15KHz (31KHz via AMBER) and can not be set at different clock mode required for DBL-PAL or other ECS screenmode.
Only SHires (35ns pixel clock) für PAL or NTSC works.

AFAIK the variable beam counter support is implemented in the FPGA-Arcade Replay board Minimig-AGA core.
There any ECS and AGA screenmode works as in real ECS/AGA Amiga hardware.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next