Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: My one year minimig-de1 anniversary :)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:47 pm 

Looking at the git logs, I noticed that exactly one year ago was the first time I was able to successfully build minimig for the DE1 board. I started working on it a month earlier, in December 2011.

It sure was a fun ride, but after going over the code & the build logs I came to the conclusion that there isn't much that can be done with the DE1 board anymore, since I can't trim the design any further, and the FPGA is more or less full. So with the exception of any bug fixes or maybe an enhanced memory controller, I won't update the minimig for the DE1 board anymore.

There will probably be a new firmware release though, mostly just bug-fixes.

There is still much I'd like to do with the minimig design, like AGA, RTG, USB, ethernet, clock-port addons, ... In the future I'll start working on another board with a bigger FPGA, like for example the new MiST board from Master of Gizmo. And I'm also thinking of building a C64 for the DE1 with FPGA64, NetSID and UltimateII code.

Of course, in half a year time, I might change my mind about the minimig-de1. I'll see what the future brings:)

Enjoy everybody!

Post subject: Re: My one year minimig-de1 anniversary :)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:13 pm 

Great work, chaos! I use your core sometimes on my DE1 board. What I'll really like to see in these TG68 ports is a better compatibility with games like The Lost Vikings.

On the other hand, could you please lend a hand to MMrobinsonb5 here with the sigma-delta issues? You released a VERY PROMISSING filter he plumbered in the original Minimig 1.1 but he got strange noise problems:
http://minimig.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=516&start=100

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:37 pm 

I really like Lost Vikings :)

I'll take a look at the TG68 core for a possible fix, I'll see what can be done. Do you by any chance remember on which version of Tobias' minimig release the game was still working?

Regarding the sigma-delta, I believe I have gained some new insight into possible fixes for my version while working on anther project, will test it out.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:11 pm 

I believe The Lost Vikings never worked in DE1 port, or at least I don't remember it working. I believe it's due to TG68 since it works on the original Minimig 1.1 board without any problems. Looking forward to see the new sigma-delta! Both fronts are very exciting! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:30 pm 

gaula92 wrote:
I believe The Lost Vikings never worked in DE1 port, or at least I don't remember it working. I believe it's due to TG68 since it works on the original Minimig 1.1 board without any problems. Looking forward to see the new sigma-delta! Both fronts are very exciting! :D

I was reading this post, and was under the impression that at some point, Lost Vikings did work on the DE1. Too bad, that would probably make it a much easier fix ;)

EDIT somehow the link to the post was lost, there you mentioned that Lost Vikings used to work, here it is: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=296 /EDIT

I can't get the game to even start, the floppy versions I have just silently stop in DOS window after loader/crackthrough, and the Whdload version reports some access violation error before finishing loading.

Last edited by chaos on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:00 pm 

chaos wrote:
I can't get the game to even start, the floppy versions I have just silently stop

And you tested all diskversions from the gamebase or the tosec-archiv?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:03 pm 

AW72: I tested two versions from the TOSEC archive, I don't know where to find any other.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:40 pm 

In my TOSEC here, i have a standard-version, alternative diskversions [a] and [a2], FLT-crack, FLT-crack with [t+1 2KAD] trainer and a french version of the game. Maybe you should try them all. But i don`t think, any diskversion will fix this problem. Can not test it, i have only a 1.1 Minimig-board and here the game works without a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 am 

@chaos: sorry, I didn't remember that! :(
It seems it used to work on the very fisrt version of the DE1 port, wich now I remember, was very unstable due to sdram timming differences between DE1 boards... Maybe it was working on pure luck! My DE1 has these ZENTEL ram chips.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:47 pm 

The Lost Vikings also don't work on the MCC216.
But many title fail on it, sadly the development seems frozen since a long time and I do not expect any big changes OR the sources to come out...