Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A VERY interesting core, easy to port to Altera DE1/2?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:41 pm 

I also posted this one on the Fampiga yahoo group, but I'd like to get some developer interested in seeing this on the DE1/DE2 board. This is a pretty much complete Atari ST core, already running on Altera Cyclone II:

http://experiment-s.de/en/progress

And latest sources downloads here:

http://download.experiment-s.de/Suska-I ... l/vhdl.zip

How easy would it be to port this wonder to our boards?

Post subject: Re: A VERY interesting core, easy to port to Altera DE1/2?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:27 pm 

It certainly looks very interesting - I'm not sure how difficult it would be, because I'm not sure yet what the architecture of the existing boards is like. It's probably not a project I'd be able to take on myself though, since I don't have any experience at all with the ST, and certainly don't know anything about its inner workings.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:47 pm 

gaula92 wrote:
I'd like to get some developer interested in seeing this on the DE1/DE2 board. This is a pretty much complete Atari ST core, already running on Altera Cyclone II:

That core seems to implement all chips pretty exactly. While this is very nice, it also means that the design is pretty huge and won't fit into the majority of the boards typically used for minimig ports. On the other hand some very convenient aspects of the minimig seem to be missing. The suska core e.g. expects the ROM to actually be a ROM and thus doesn't provide a means to upload tos.img like the minimig does with kick.rom

Some other aspects may actually make a atari port a little easier than minimig. For example the default bw resolution is directly VGA compatible, so no scan doubler or 50hz problem here. Also the atari uses a file system pretty close to standard dos, so one should be able to access an sd card directly without too much hassle. And finally the atari hardware seems to be significantly simpler than the amiga. E.g. a blitter is only optional.

The suska code probably is a great start for a minimig like atari project. Actually i plan to take a closer look at it once my minimig runs stable. Currently i have the odd effect that the minimig builds are less likely to result in a running design the more minimig features i disable. At one point e.g. just swapping two joystick signals resulted in a core tht didn't boot. Currently i have implemented the basic usb keyboard stuff, but just can't get a core to even boot kick.rom successfully once my simple interface to the arms usb code replaces the rather complex ps2 code.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:09 pm 

I found just one schematic on the project's page, and according to that, I don't think it would be easy to port this to a board like DE1. Most of the design is portable (FPGA is bigger than on the DE1 - EP2C35, the DE2 board should be big enough), it uses SDRAM, FLASH, PS/2, but it also seem to have a bunch of original connectors, like floppy, SCSI, IDE ... I don't know if all that is necessary, though. Anyway, I couldn't work on it, since I don't know much about Ataris, and I tend to avoid VHDL language :)

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:55 am 

chaos wrote:
Most of the design is portable (FPGA is bigger than on the DE1 - EP2C35, the DE2 board should be big enough), it uses SDRAM, FLASH, PS/2, but it also seem to have a bunch of original connectors, like floppy, SCSI, IDE ...

I've started to do a minimal atari st based on the minimig de1 port. Unlike the suska i do it more in the spirit of the minimig which is "implement it so that the operating system can live with it" instead of "do it 100% perfect".

As a result the current code is pretty small and easier to backport to the minimig than the suska code.

But there's still a lot missing. So far only bw video, keyboard, mouse and interrupts are working. Also there's one major design change over the minimig: In my case the io controller handles mouse and keyboard. The atari has a dedicated keyboard controller, so it may be easier to move that functionality into the pic/arm on the minimig as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnB5dKg07OQ