Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: minimig-de1 release 5
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:46 am 

sjamaan wrote:
I don't think AAA was...it was totally different but compatible and much faster than OCS ECS...

As far as I know, the AAA only was (partially) AGA compatible but no longer ECS compatible.
Due to the whole new design, the registers should act almost the same to AGA but for sure was different because its another architecture and, as you already said, faster.

So the compatibility level could not be that high, possibly some games with "standard reg. usage" would still work.

Quote:
I wonder if these are what the NatAmi guys used to make their compatible but superior chipset...?

The Natami was called to be ECS and AGA compatible but also should be able to work much faster (Super Blitter, Copper, Sprites...). How it works? I have no idea.
More info may be found in the Natami forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:25 pm 

sjamaan wrote:
Now deciding whether to buy a DE2-115, FPGA-Arcade, Natami, or a real Amiga 4000...

cheers!

DE2-115 seems to be the most powerful of them. It has all we need. 128MB SDRAM, 2MB SRAM, 8MB Flash. USB, Ethernet, sound chip, video input, 24bit VGA, Cyclone IV with 11500 LEs 3,888 kbits RAM on FPGA, 266 multipliers. This can fly :)

And it has 2-way PS2 input (no more mouse on GPIO)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:51 am 

pik33 wrote:
sjamaan wrote:
Now deciding whether to buy a DE2-115, FPGA-Arcade, Natami, or a real Amiga 4000...

cheers!

DE2-115 seems to be the most powerful of them. It has all we need. 128MB SDRAM, 2MB SRAM, 8MB Flash. USB, Ethernet, sound chip, video input, 24bit VGA, Cyclone IV with 11500 LEs 3,888 kbits RAM on FPGA, 266 multipliers. This can fly :)

And it has 2-way PS2 input (no more mouse on GPIO)

Only thing which lets the DE2-115 down is the crippled 8-bit Flash interface.
Why Terasic would do that to their top Cyclone 4 board is beyond me! :(

DE1, DE2 are both 8-bit interface to the Flash.

DE0, DE2-70 both have a 16-bit interface to the FLASH chip.

---

DE0 doesn't have any SRAM out of the box, but if you're comfortable with soldering TSOP SMD chips,
it's is fairly simple to do a "piggy-back" mod to add 2MB SRAM using a Renasas R1LV1616 chip.
Has an almost identical pin-out to the S29GL032 flash chip.
Just need to run an extra signal to the *CE pin on the SRAM.

Can post details if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Red.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:37 am 

Maybe it makes it a lot easier to port up from the de1 boards when projects get too big...

Also could have been cost effective...remember these are educational boards for
learning on...I still think it is awesome what has been accomplished so far... all the help from
the people on here...Chaos, AMRobinson...I have learned a lot...just for fun...I though about
making a VHDL simulator with the arduino to emulate nand gates through the digital io pins...
just to play with in class for the students...we don't have 50 fpga dev boards but we do have
a huge amount of arduinos....and they are fast enough to hook up a few buttons and simulate
a four bit counter through the digital i/o pins...
my first vhdl code I wrote for the de1 was a XOR hooked up to the buttons and a green
led...

There are some really cool concepts here coming across from even math and linguistic fields
called symbol sense...enough material for a ph.d...and quartus is a cool tool that allows you to
visualize different code with the same meaning...add that to some lab work using transistors on
a bread board...ttl's...you can see five different representations of the concept...

I guess this is kind of off subject...anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:38 pm 

I've just returned to the project after a long break and last night got this release running on the DE2. However although the design boots into the kick start ROM, F12 fails to display the OSD menu. Any ideas why that would be?

EDIT: OK, scrap that. Found rel6 and managed to get it (20150217) running using Mockba's configuration described in the DE2-70 thread!