Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: minimig the cheapest way possible
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:48 am 

Hi all. To revive the old amiga days, I recently bought myself an old amiga 500, only to discover that it was defect.
I have now found out that it is not an old 500 I want after all, but a minimig or equivalent (minimig/mist/fpgaarkade).
I don't think my wife will be happy if I spend too much on it though, especially after the amiga 500 failure.
So how cheap is it possible to get a minimig or equivalent? It doesn't really have to have an arm controller, as my amiga experience is limited to A500/600.
Does anyone have a used minimig that they don't need anymore due to bying of mist/fpgaarkade, and would like to sell their old minimig?
If not, what would be the total cost of a minimig if I assemble one myself?

Post subject: Re: minimig the cheapest way possible
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:24 am 

Unfortunately minimigs are quite more expensive than say a used A500. They do offer a lot more than a plain A500, especially using ADF disk images instead of (mostly non-working nowadays) old floppies is a big plus, at least for me.

If you want to make one yourself, I think you're looking at around 150EUR. At least some experience with soldering SMD components is needed, otherwise the expenses could get higher :)

All of the new minimig boards are over 200EUR, AFAIK. Even used ones on sites like amibay don't sell any cheaper. There is an option of buying an Altera DE1 board, which should be around 140EUR, but it requires an additional board for mouse / joystick connectors, though this board is quite easy and cheap to make (through-hole components).

What is wrong with your A500, maybe you could fix it?

Post subject: Re: minimig the cheapest way possible
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:32 pm 

I did a mouse "interface" to DE1 board from (1) 40-wire HDD tape (2) PS2 female plug (3) 2 resistors. I cut all unused wires, 6 of them (2bits GPIO, 3.3V, 5V, 2x GND) goes to the plug. Resistors are mounted inside the plug.