Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: NEW - ARM Firmware
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:03 pm 

This firmware is designed for the ARM processor on Minimig 1.1 board. This firmware is pack-ported from the Minimig clone used on the Altera DE1 development board.

Firmware offer following news compared to the original:
sophisticated look of the menus;
the ability to save / load up to 5 configuration files;
possibility of loading different FPGA core file (*.bin);
better menu control via joystick (page wide scroll at Joy left/right).

To update the firmware from the original Yaqube (YQ100818) version, use "firmwareYQ.upg" file.
If for some reason the update failed, you need to upload the .BIN firmware file to the ARM processor using USB connection and the Atmel SAM-BA/SAM-PROG tool. A closer description in how to handle the USB program procedure will follow if required.

Attachment:
ARM_Firmware.zip [362.83 KiB]
Downloaded 331 times

Thank MMrobinsonb5 for experienced advice and boing4000 for his patience during testing.

Post subject: Re: NEW - ARM Firmware
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:37 pm 

Hi, minimig_emu!

I just tried updating the ARM firmware with the Minimig, but I just get: "Invalid update file!" and it refuses to update.
In the firmware version and file info screen I get:

ARM s/w ver. ATH130319
FILE s/w ver. ATH130424

As you can see, the UPG file is dated 04/24/2013. Maybe you included the wrong binaries?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:23 pm 

Now I tried to update the firmware files from the archive and no problem there. Maybe you have one of my the ARM firmware version, which has not been debugged updates. You will need to update your with file .bin / SAM-BA.

gaula92 wrote:
Hi, minimig_emu!

I just tried updating the ARM firmware with the Minimig, but I just get: "Invalid update file!" and it refuses to update.

ARM s/w ver. ATH130319
FILE s/w ver. ATH130424

As you can see, the UPG file is dated 04/24/2013. Maybe you included the wrong binaries?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:08 pm 

minimig_emu, i have a question.

I saw, that you included one of my wishes, which i had for longer time, (joy left/right = fast scrolling) in your firmware. In the whole, i am satisfied with the newest normal firmware (version 130321) and i like the menues how they are there.

Could you integrate this fast scrolling joystick feature (left/right) also in the normal firmware? I think its only a small thing to do, because you know how it works. And when possible, please also take out this "track read error"-message, which comes in some games, like for example "DOOFUS". This message should not appear anymore, because all the games where it comes, works normally.

Only this two things, the rest can be like it was. Would be cool, when you could make this.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:23 pm 

I think the "track read error" message should be removed, too: I really hate it and it comes up with Super GemZ, too. :)

I could update using SAM-BA for GNU/Linux, since I don't have a Windows machine at home. I had to install the ia32-libs package and set the board to at91sam7s256-ek when asked at SAM-BA launch.

So, after looking at the new firmware, great work minimig_emu!
Does it mean we're getting Sega Master System core to load roms from SD with this new firmware? :D

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:17 am 

Hi Minimig_Emu ;)

We'll test your new ARM Firmwre with our new stock of Minimig's board we'll receive in June at Amedia Computer France ;)

For those who interested in getting these boards, we propose a ful complete promotion for our opening.

You can have a look at our message HERE.

Thanks, Laurent aka Faranheit
Amedia Computer France

69, Avenue de la Libération
F-57530 Courcelles-Chaussy
France
Tel : (+33) 7 71 10 72 22
Fax : (+33) 3 87 57 07 21

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:05 pm 

minimig_emu wrote:
This firmware is designed for the ARM processor on Minimig 1.1 board. This firmware is pack-ported from the Minimig clone used on the Altera DE1 development board.

Firmware offer following news compared to the original:
sophisticated look of the menus;
the ability to save / load up to 5 configuration files;
possibility of loading different FPGA core file (*.bin);
better menu control via joystick (page wide scroll at Joy left/right).

To update the firmware from the original Yaqube (YQ100818) version, use "firmwareYQ.upg" file.
If for some reason the update failed, you need to upload the .BIN firmware file to the ARM processor using USB connection and the Atmel SAM-BA/SAM-PROG tool. A closer description in how to handle the USB program procedure will follow if required.

Attachment:
ARM_Firmware.zip

Thank MMrobinsonb5 for experienced advice and boing4000 for his patience during testing.

Great stuff! I will try and find time to flash and test tonight.
Do you have a source repository for this?
-(e)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:08 am 

And..... I am an idiot for not looking at the archive first before asking for the source.
Apologies :oops: :oops: :oops:

Flashing now.
-(e)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:42 am 

gaula92 wrote:
Hi, minimig_emu!

ARM s/w ver. ATH130319
FILE s/w ver. ATH130424

Hi,

I had the same problem. The "firmware.upg" file didn't work. I renamed the "firmwareYQ.upg" file to "firmware.upg" and that worked.

minimig_emu: the raw firmware bin file flashed okay, but the keyboard would not work at all. I had to revert to AYQ100818 (by stripping off the header), flash that with SAM-BA and then reflash using the procedure above.

-(e)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:01 am 

minimig_emu wrote:

Now for the obvious question. Which Minimig firmware should I be using if I update the ARM controller with this new firmware core?

Does it work with FSB130321 viewtopic.php?f=5&t=569 like the existing ARM firmware.