Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:20 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Compiling the ARM firmware?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 8:48 pm
Posts: 18
Hi,

I have successfully built minimig_emu's firmware and would like to flash it to the ARM board.
I have SAM-BA (which I have used before) but I can't seem to get the board into bootloader mode!

Could someone explain the procedure in terms of what DIP switches to set and when?
Does the ARM board need to be powered via the minimig etc?

Thanks
-(e)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compiling the ARM firmware?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 341
sweetlilmre wrote:
I have successfully built minimig_emu's firmware and would like to flash it to the ARM board.
I have SAM-BA (which I have used before) but I can't seem to get the board into bootloader mode!


Leave the ARM board connected to the Minimig.
Turn off the Minimig, and disconnect everything including the SD card.
Set the "Test" DIP switch to the "on" position then apply power and turn on the Minimig for 10 seconds or so. (This restores the bootloader code in the ARM.)
Turn the board off again.
Set the "Test" DIP switch to the "off" position,
Turn on the board and it should now be in bootloader mode.

_________________
~ Amiga 4000/030 ~ Amiga 1200 030/50MHz ~ Turbo Chameleon 64 ~ Altera DE1 with Minimig core ~
Details of my projects: http://retroramblings.net


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compiling the ARM firmware?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 8:48 pm
Posts: 18
MMrobinsonb5 wrote:
Leave the ARM board connected to the Minimig.
Turn off the Minimig, and disconnect everything including the SD card.
Set the "Test" DIP switch to the "on" position then apply power and turn on the Minimig for 10 seconds or so. (This restores the bootloader code in the ARM.)
Turn the board off again.
Set the "Test" DIP switch to the "off" position,
Turn on the board and it should now be in bootloader mode.


Fantastic! I will give this a bash tonight (after repairing the ARM board, I broke one of the damn pins off by mistake... I am an idiot :cry: )
-(e)


Last edited by sweetlilmre on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compiling the ARM firmware?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:58 pm
Posts: 1568
Location: .de
MMrobinsonb5 wrote:
(For instance, the version you have now should support mounting both entire SD cards and SD card partitions as Amiga hard drives, and also support WinUAE (RDB-less) hardfiles.)


The whole sd-card or single partition usage is not possible on MinimigV1 board.
Since ARM require a FAT(16/32) formattet partition with the FPGA core file and Kickstart image, the sd-card or 1st partition must stay this way.

I have killed whole data on a test sd-card while beta testing with both of this settings.
To make Amiga access a whole fat sd-card it may work in Workbench using CrossDOS. But in this case I doubt a 32GiB HC card will be accessable.
The "disk image" and "filesystem" function is working great and should only be used.

_________________
_____________________________
JMP $00000BED ; will guru-meditation until next morning


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compiling the ARM firmware?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 341
boing4000 wrote:
The whole sd-card or single partition usage is not possible on MinimigV1 board.
Since ARM require a FAT(16/32) formattet partition with the FPGA core file and Kickstart image, the sd-card or 1st partition must stay this way.


Yes, the first partition (or entire card, if unpartitioned) must remain FAT formatted. That goes for the TG68-based Minimig variants too.

If the card is partitioned, then it should be fine to use any but the first partition.

Quote:
To make Amiga access a whole fat sd-card it may work in Workbench using CrossDOS. But in this case I doubt a 32GiB HC card will be accessable.


Not with CrossDOS, but Fat95 should be able to manage it. There are geometry problems that make using Fat95 hit and miss at the moment - I haven't had time to address them yet - but Fat95 is the intended use case for the whole card mode.

For instance, on my 16GB card, I have a 1 gig FAT partition, then a 4 GB partition containing an image of the hard drive from my old A4000/030. I have "Card Partition 2" as the primary hard drive, and "Entire Card" as the secondary hard drive, so I can mount the FAT partition using Fat95 for easy transfer of files.

In theory it should be possible to use Boot95 to put an RDB with the Fat95 filesystem on an SD card, and boot the Amiga from FAT, but I haven't managed to get that working yet.

_________________
~ Amiga 4000/030 ~ Amiga 1200 030/50MHz ~ Turbo Chameleon 64 ~ Altera DE1 with Minimig core ~
Details of my projects: http://retroramblings.net


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compiling the ARM firmware?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 8:48 pm
Posts: 18
AHA!

ARM board repaired and the new firmware flashed thanks to MMrobinsonb5' helpful directions.
Seems to work quite well. Now to try out the partitioning stuff :D

-(e)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compiling the ARM firmware?
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 8:48 pm
Posts: 18
Hi,

I've built minimig_emu's firmware and it seems to work well.
However when using HDToolBox, the letters in the Manufacturers Name and Drive Name fields in the Define Drive Type dialog have swapped characters, is this just my build?:

Image


-(e)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compiling the ARM firmware?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:44 am
Posts: 12
Hi Folks !

The files posted by Master of Gizmo don't seem to be there anymore. Somebody has a backup ?

I'd like to spend a bit of time porting my old MacPlus core over (rewrite the PIC side for
the ARM which I got in the meantime), so the Makefiles/crt0.S/etc... interest me :-)

Thanks !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Compiling the ARM firmware?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 341
benh wrote:
Hi Folks !

The files posted by Master of Gizmo don't seem to be there anymore. Somebody has a backup ?

I'd like to spend a bit of time porting my old MacPlus core over (rewrite the PIC side for
the ARM which I got in the meantime), so the Makefiles/crt0.S/etc... interest me :-)

Thanks !


Minimig_emu ported the new firmware back to the Minimig+ARM board - you can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=584 - it should give you all the makefiles and startup code.

_________________
~ Amiga 4000/030 ~ Amiga 1200 030/50MHz ~ Turbo Chameleon 64 ~ Altera DE1 with Minimig core ~
Details of my projects: http://retroramblings.net


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr