Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: FPGA64 on Minimig V1.1 board
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:02 pm 

Hmm...! Does it mean the FPGA64 core will run on the Minimig with SD card access at last...?
That would be great and unexpected, I dare to say... :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:21 pm 

This still is impossible. PIC and ARM controller currently only act as floppy drive for Amiga chipset.
To adapt any of this MCU to act as IEC bus device would require massive firmware adaption. Also it has to be switchable or some kind of auto-sensing to detect which core is loaded and set itself to matching device simulation.

Also a whole floppy drive circuitry and rom+ram space has to be add inside the fpga! As you know C64 floppy is an intelligent drive and need own hardware. Since current fpga64 core already take a lot of space inside the Spartan3 fpga, there is no place for additional "close to C64 content" left. If it would be possible to store C64 rom image in s-ram, the space could be sufficient to simulate even real floppy drive inside the fpga.

Right now the core is working with external IEC bus and not 100% accurate internal timing!
Almost every Speed loader fail due to not accurate fpga64 core timing. Single file demo/game is working fine, also normal DOS loader e.g. in Wintergames.

Due to Minimig V1.1 fpga limits the fpga64 core may not be able to work perfectly in this environment.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:03 pm 

I wonder if it would be possible to put the ROM files on the IEC device connected to the spare-io ports so that the core loads them from there before it boots up the fpga64 core. Or is this a case of catch-22 ?

If it would be possible to exclude the ROM files in the fpga64 core --- i aggree, it would be totally awesome to put more cool stuff into the core when the rom files are external.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:13 pm 

espskog wrote:
I wonder if it would be possible to put the ROM files on the IEC device connected to the spare-io ports so that the core loads them from there before it boots up the fpga64 core. Or is this a case of catch-22 ?

This may be possible but certainly not by me.

In theory:
Some kind of raw bootloader as present in Minimig (Amiga) core would be required to bootstrap the IEC bus and access an attached floppy drive with necessary rom image file on disk. Accessing any floppy without system rom may be a bit tricky (as in real Amiga) but could work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:21 pm 

THe more I think about it --- the more I come close to drawing the conclusion that the minimig, as cool as it may be for a500 emulation, is just not good enough a platform for multi-core use. Since the minimig has its limitations, maybe we should settle with the fact that minimig is for amiga, and instead move our focus to another platform which of course should be able to use the minimig core but aswell have the ability to run larger cores. The minimig is quite cheap, and handles what it does very good. But everybody wants a fpga board which can do so much more and have alot more possibilities for IO and space to load larger cores.

So what would be the next logical step. Would it to make a new minimig which is scaled up with a larger fpga and more expansion possibilities to add e.g. daughter cards which holds classic HW (e.g. c64 cartriges). Best is to keep it very standard. I guess that already made developer fpga boards can be best to use, as they are pre-made and already available. Then we can have ppl create add-on cards or daughterboards for them to enable the IO we need (vga,kbd etc etc etc). Would be kewl :)

Espen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:29 pm 

I agree. Minimig V1.1 board has fulfilled its job as an Amiga500 (with additional feature) very well!
Doe to its limits this platform will not provide any more feature or more complex chipset as AGA.

The next hardware env. would be the fpgaarcade board. This board do have a much bigger fpga and should support more different and more complex core. Also it has 24Bit color ability, AGA should be possible.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:39 pm 

For me, the MiniMig is totally awesome. It will cover 95% of the gaming-need for classic games from the a500 days. But, I am a guy who hates to have several boxes. And if I can have the fpgaarcade running the minimig core as good as the minimig does (or better), I will definitely go for this new board as this can provide future features and larger cores. My wish is a fpga board that emulates the A1200 (and of course the A500 OCS/ECS) plus the C64 in such a way that I can be happy with that. Those are the machines I used, and would like to run in fpga. I would of course not hesitate to use arcade cores or other computer cores if they are available :-) hehe..

So the big question is, when is the fpga arcade board ready for sale, and what will it cost. Plus, will the majority of ppl buy it so that it will be heavily developed on ? A fpga board is no better than the usergroup supporting it :-) And in the minimig-case, it is truly fantastic.

I'll check the link you sent on the fpgaarcade. Thanx.

Espen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:15 am 

Maybe you haven't noticed the great implications of this little FPGA movement: we, the people, are at last the rulers of the hardware world. We buy raw boards that could be an A500 or a C64...

Amiga INc is NOT involved, Commodore is NOT involved, Atari is NOT involved: we get all the new hardware we wand/need. MicroSoft is not involved:: no damn windows is fucking under the hood. Nothing.

It's just us, and out new hardware, with the software we know and love. This is going to be the next great thing!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:25 am 

Yeah. As long as M$ is not remotely close to being involved, I am fine :-)

Now I am eagerly waiting for Mr Boing4k to make a test-core of the fpga64 with jiffy kernal and one with turborom2 kernal so i can test it out with my uIEC v2.3 on the spare i/o. If it works, I am a happy camper :-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:11 pm 

My first attempts to recompile the working sources failed. Even with ISE 9.2i and 10.1 it refuses to compile with (to me) stupid error message. I dont have the experience in VHDL to correct this, also I dont know why this error appear at all... this sources was able to compile in at least one of this ISE version.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next