Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 10:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Blitter line mode fix
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:21 pm 

Hi,

a bug in the minimig blitter implementation has been discovered. This bug is apparent when blitter is used to draw a line, and then using blitter fill, seen as horizontal lines going to the left part of the screen edge. The bug is apparent in demos "SushiBoyz" and "Sunglasses at Night" by Ghostown, "Vectorize" by RSi, and some others.

I implemented a fix for this and built a new minimig core for you to try out. Download it here:

http://meditation.somuch.guru/minimig/f ... x-test.zip

Please try it out and report any problems, especially if you see any apparent blitter problems that weren't present before.

Post subject: Re: Blitter line mode fix
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:05 pm 

This also fixes the four-lines problem in the first effect of Vertigo Demo. Good work.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:58 am 

Hi,

another fix for the special 7-bitplane mode. This bug can be seen in SushiBoyz by Ghostown, and Sliced&Diced by Dekadence.

When 7 bitplanes are selected in BPLCON0, Denise sees this as a 6-bitplane mode, Agnus on the other hand thinks this is a 4-bitplane mode (only 4 bitplanes are fetched, but Denise will display 6 bitplanes).

Download the updated minimig core here:

http://meditation.somuch.guru/minimig/f ... pl-fix.zip

Please try it out and report any problems, especially if you see any problems that weren't present before.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:09 pm 

Thanks, good work.

I hope that also other Minimig users will try this out and test their favorite-software with this core here.

These two fixes "repairs" the most of the remaining bugs which were listed here in the penultimate entry:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=111&start=350

- Sliced & Diced Demo works perfect now
- Vectorize Demo works perfect now
- Sunglasses at Night Demo works perfect now
- Vertige Demo works perfect now
- Sushi Boyz Demo works perfect on the effect-side, only very small difference that i saw, when i compared this demo to my Amiga500 by running the demo on Minimig and A500 at the same time, was, that on the very end of the demo, when there is written "Ghostown - we are ninjas you not" the demo ends correct on the A500, but on the Minimig it ends and then the music starts again for about 2 seconds and only then the demo ends completely. But this is only a very small thing and has to do with something else, but not with the blitter. Rest of the demo runs perfect now.

People should test this core and report bugs. When many people test things, it`s much easier to find new incompatibilities, if there was some.

Until now it looks good, i tested about 30 games and demos until now and found no bugs caused by this fixes. When no new problems were found by testers, this could be made the next official Minimig core FSB160214.

Therefore it would be good, when other Minimig-users also test software with this new core and give a report when they found an incompatibility that was not present before.

One "bug" that is still visible, is in the "Abandon Megademo 1". It still has a grafic-error in part3 of the demo. The big scrolling text on the upper screen shows some mistakes in grafics. Must be another kind of incompatibility.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:03 pm 

Requires any special PIC / ARM version ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:01 pm 

No, the same as the previous releases.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:34 pm 

@Chaos: Thanks for including these fixes!! I will try to test more games and demos on the following days, but so far it looks good to me, no new bugs found so far.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:51 pm 

One note to the Asterix-Fix, which is also included in this core here, besides the "blitter-fix" and the "7-bitplane-fix".

Back in time, some people here reported two games, which makes problems in steering, when the Asterix-fix is included. The first one that was mentioned was "Super Street Fighter 2" and the second "Rally Championships".

I tried both of them now with this core. "SSF2" works normally, i could not found any incompatibility here. All fighters can be steered normally.

Then i tried "Rally Championships" and here the gears can not be inserted and so the car dont move. But this IS NOT an incompatibility of the core, it is the same on a real A500 when Kick1.3 is used. The reason is, that the game itself has a problem under Kick1.3 and only works perfect under higher kicks.

Look here in the "Hall of Light" and scroll down the screen to Notes, there the problem under Kick1.3 is described: http://hol.abime.net/1193

But the game works normally with this core here, when a higher kickstart is used. Same on real Amigas. For example on my A600 with Kick2.05, i can steer normally in the game.

With the normal FSB150520 core (on which this new core here is based on) "Rally Championships" can also be steered with Kick1.3. This is why some users first thought, that this is a problem caused by the Asterix-fix, but it`s not. That the game works on Kick1.3 differs to the behaviour on a real Amiga500 with Kick1.3.

So until now, there was no incompatibility found that was caused by the Asterix-fix. Also i have not found a new problem until now, that was caused by the "blitter-fix" or the "7-bitplane-fix". Let`s hope, that it will go on like this, but i have a good feeling.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:35 pm 

Did this result in a new "official" release?

It is a little unclear for me at this point what are the current firmware release and the current minimig release :)
From the menus it is quite easy to see which firmware is used, but it is less easy to know which minimig core is loaded.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:40 am 

Hi,

it's not an 'official' release, but it is a release ;)

It is a little customized though, like moved keyboard joystick emulation keys etc (read about it here: http://somuch.guru/minimig/original-minimig/), which is more to my liking (and gaula92's ;))

Just use any release that suits you, all current FPGA releases work with the last ARM firmware. BTW, you can see the FPGA version on the boot screen.