Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Config settings and disk swap from workbench
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:21 pm 

Guys, I have an idea for a new feature for Minimig... bear with me :)

Would it be possible for the Amiga to somehow communicate with the ARM/PIC to do disk changes and alter the settings etc?

I'm thinking of a tool, somewhat like WHDLoad, except this tool would just tell the ARM/PIC which disks to load inside of DF0:/DF1: etc and then perform a reset... upon next reset it would remove the disks and then the machine could boot to WB as normal... Im sure that there are other possibilities that could be opened up, but this is the core of the idea...

So what do you think? Is this possible somehow? Is there a way to squeeze some comms between the two without causing incompatability?

Maybe it would need to be a two way thing as the Amiga would need to know the filenames on the SD card... But, there must be a way, surely? This would lead to a really nice frontend for booting adf games, without any of the problems inherent with WHDLoad and memory etc...

Anyhoo, I just thought I would put this forward... discuss :)

Post subject: Re: Config settings and disk swap from workbench
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:25 pm 

Hmm, i am not sure, if i completely understand this right (english is not my native language). But when i understand right, then i see a problem, because do you think, that this fronted then would be more comfortable to use, than the Minimig-Menue, for changing disk-files? I have my doubts.

Maybe it would look better, but for example - i have here about 28000 diskfiles (Amiga Gamebase) on my SD-Card and with the fast-scrolling method ("picture up/down" key) it`s possible to go to any diskfile very fast. I don`t know, if this would work in the same way over a frontend, which is an Amiga-program itself?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:55 pm 

Well, really I'm just thinking out loud.

This would only be useful for launching a set of disks pre-setup with the right kickstart and ram config...

Although, I've been playing around with TinyLauncher and that seems to do a really good job on a 4mb minimig.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:43 pm 

Theoretically, you could use some registers for ARM/Amiga communication - the ARM CPU could be used as a sort of accelerator for the Amiga (maybe for decoding MP3s?). Making this in a non-standard way is pretty easy, but no Amiga software would be compatible with it. Making it compatible with existing hardware is a lot harder (I believe there is some hardware for Amiga that lets you decode MP3s?)

Enjoy!