Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Real Amiga keyboard
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:56 pm 

I have a real Amiga keyboard with mini DIN connector, compatible with the PS2 connector of the Minimig. Is it safe to connect it? Will it work out of the box? If not, is it a matter of hardware or software changes?

Post subject: Re: Real Amiga keyboard
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:24 pm 

Ok, I couldn't keep myself from it, so I tried. And... It works! Interesting. :)

However, a couple of issues. The Amiga keys aren't mapped as such. Rebooting is done by both Alt plus left Amiga. However, no keys are mapped as Amiga keys. Even worse is that the keyboard hangs after a while. Or probably after pressing some key combos. It is resolved by reconnecting the keyboard.

The mapping I suppose is doable in the firmware. Maybe adding an option for it in the menu? Also, it would be great to have an option to open the menu by pressing F9+F10, as the Amiga keyboard has no F12.

Regarding the hanging issue, I would be happy to assist a developer to track it down.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:53 pm 

johey wrote:
Ok, I couldn't keep myself from it, so I tried. And... It works! Interesting. :)

Astonishing! The Amiga keyboard has a completely different protoco, so the core must have inbuilt support for Amiga keyboards! You learn something every day!

Quote:
The mapping I suppose is doable in the firmware. Maybe adding an option for it in the menu? Also, it would be great to have an option to open the menu by pressing F9+F10, as the Amiga keyboard has no F12.

They both sound like good ideas. I can't swear to it, but I think the mapping itself is done in the core rather than the firmware, though. (It certainly is in the TG68-based Minimig variants.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:57 am 

Old post here, but I feel I need to give an update. The keyboard I used actually did speak PS/2. I don't know where I got this keyboard really, but it looks like a custom built case (like 3d printed) with a real Amiga keyboard inside, speaking PS/2. So, no. I haven't tried a real Amiga keyboard with the Minimig.

(Funny thing is that I realized this when building myself an Amiga keyboard to PS/2 adapter for using an A4k keyboard with the Minimig and the Replay.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:58 pm 

I think the A1200 infinity tower was shipped with an Amiga looking keyboard but with PS2 protocol inside.
I had or still may have such a keyboard somewhere. For A1200 usage an additional little bcp with flat-band cable was necessary.

This kind of kbd will work on Minimig but there is no F12 key to trigger the menu.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:34 pm 

Did anyone ever make a mod so real Amiga keyboard can be used? With an appropriate keycombo to bring up menu of course (amiga-amiga-help?)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:02 pm 

It works in combination of the IComp Dockingstation, an Amiga500 keyboard and the FPGA core made my NewAmigaUser of a1k.org.
Here is the thread and its direct links to...
Binary: http://www.a1k.org/forum/attachment.php ... 1328609173
Source: http://www.a1k.org/forum/attachment.php ... 1328609173

This core/source do not contain latest expansion or bugfixes.
By now I could not find any spare time to combine both sources into a single new release.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:59 am 

Ok, was thinking in the lines of connecting an A4000 keyboard, it would have been great if it was possible.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:58 pm 

Would work too, but without any switch function only the Amiga keyboard will be useable with this adapted core.
Amiga keyboard is missing some key like F12 for the menu. This need to be "emulated" somewhere else... at the mentioned Dockingstation core the menu trigger is at hitting 2x HELP key.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:17 am 

Yes, sounds good. Just curious, is there no way to auto-detect what kind of keyboard is plugged in? :)