Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Inevitable newbie questions and... a bug?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:12 pm 

Hi,
I'm new in the Minimig community, and I have some inevitable "newbie questions" for which I could not find answers on the net... maybe can you help me? :)
BTW my Minimig is a Rev.1.1 4Mb PIC, with FSB120420 FPGA core and PIC 100818 firmware. Thanks!

1. I've noticed a kind of "bug" (also with older FPGA firmware) in ADF listing of OSD menu: if I save a lot of ADF images (circa 101) on my SD card formatted in FAT32, scrolling the ADF list inside OSD menu proceeds normally until a certain (random) ADF, then all the list take the same ADF name (for instance: 20 or 30 "GLOOM1.ADF" names), and the scrolling became "unstable" presenting the ADF in random order. Is this a "bug"? Or there are some limits about the quantity of ADF images on SD card (2GB) formatted in FAT32?
I've tried to reformat the card, but the "bug" is always here (each time with different repeated name), when a lot of ADF images are on.
If I format the SD in FAT16, the card is not recognized at all.

2. Speed disk set at 2X reduces compatibility?

3. When I try to execute some ADF (i.e. Magic Pockets from Bitmap Brothers) after title and some loading screens the Minimig "freeze" and the power led (the RED one) start blinking. It is a case of "normal" incompatibility or should I worry about the integrity of Minimig board? Hard reset (via power supply or PGM Reset button) will damage the board?

4. It's only me or the game RUBICON does not scroll normally? When at the beginning of the first level I reach the right side of the screen, the stage does not scroll and so the character remain stuck.

Thanks again! ;)

Post subject: Re: Inevitable newbie questions and... a bug?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:26 pm 

Another user mentioned something similarly.
I think the PIC is overloaded at some point or amount of files in a folder.
This MCU only has very limited internal speed and RAM and can not handle as much as the ARM chip can.
In this case a cascade subfolder structure would help a lot :)

FAT16 should be supported but possibly the used block size (selected by Windows?) is different.
Maybe the Fat16 partition table ID must be changed too, else a different filesystem is detected against the present partition ID.

In some case, depending on the selected ADF title, the 2x speed setting may be incompatible (Spaceballs - State Of The Art Demo). In most case the 2x setting shows a better compatibility at PIC chip. The 1x setting turned out as a bit too slow compared to real Amiga floppy data transfer speed.
If the 1x or 2x setting show trouble, try the same title with the other speed setting. One should work at least.

A blinking Power-LED indicate a faulty code part of the 68000 CPU.
This can have several reason: Disk image is damaged, selected Memory or Kickstart is incompatible, Turbo mode is active, already mentioned 1x/2x floppy speed setting.
Try all kind of OSD settings and memory configuration. Currently this game show no trouble in general but I will take a look at it again.
A hardreset via unplugging the Minimig board is not dangerous. Mostly its not required since the 3-key reset (CTRL+ALT+ALT) or at least the PGM reset button will work the same.
Sometimes the Amiga system seems stalled or cought in a reset-loop. In this case a total power-down/up cycle may be the only help.

Actually its very hard to damage the MinimigV1 board or one of its IC. PIC can not be "bricked" and the FPGA will be programed each time at power-up or PGM reset button press (when the Drive LED flicker). So nothing to worry about.

I will take a look at the RUBICON game title.
Until now I never played this one, so possibly there is a bug in the Minimig chipset core.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:38 pm 

antiriad wrote:
4. It's only me or the game RUBICON does not scroll normally? When at the beginning of the first level I reach the right side of the screen, the stage does not scroll and so the character remain stuck.

Hm, even in the Linux e-uae the game do not scroll when character is at the right border.
The char. can still be moved left/right, jump and shoot but display don't scroll. Maybe its normal? I do not know this game.
Tests on Minimig and real A500 will follow.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:10 pm 

boing4000 wrote:
Another user mentioned something similarly.
I think the PIC is overloaded at some point or amount of files in a folder.
This MCU only has very limited internal speed and RAM and can not handle as much as the ARM chip can.
In this case a cascade subfolder structure would help a lot :)

I've created a subfolder on FAT32 but Minimig can't see it (PIC). I am wrong?

boing4000 wrote:
FAT16 should be supported but possibly the used block size (selected by Windows?) is different.
Maybe the Fat16 partition table ID must be changed too, else a different filesystem is detected against the present partition ID.

But at this point I think this will not solve the "bug". BTW I've read somewhere that FAT16 has slightly faster loading times, it is true?

boing4000 wrote:
In some case, depending on the selected ADF title, the 2x speed setting may be incompatible (Spaceballs - State Of The Art Demo). In most case the 2x setting shows a better compatibility at PIC chip. The 1x setting turned out as a bit too slow compared to real Amiga floppy data transfer speed.
If the 1x or 2x setting show trouble, try the same title with the other speed setting. One should work at least.

A blinkinh Power-LED indicate a faulty code part of the 68000 CPU.
This can have several reason: Disk image is damaged, selected Memory or Kickstart is incompatible, Turbo mode is active, already mentioned 1x/2x floppy speed setting.
Try all kind of OSD settings and memory configuration. Currently this game show no trouble in general but I will take a look at it again.
A hardreset via unplugging the Minimig board is not dangerous. Mostly its not required since the 3-key reset (CTRL+ALT+ALT) or at least the PGM reset button will work the same.
Sometimes the Amiga system seems stalled or cought in a reset-loop. In this case a totel power-down/up may be the only help.

Ok thanks! ;)
Actually "Magic Pockets" (loading of the first level) and "Deep Core" (idem) freeze with blinking red power led, while "Risky Woods" and "Super Cauldron" freeze with corrupted graphics (also during loading of the first levels). But I can do more test: maybe I should deactivate slow ram?

boing4000 wrote:
Actually its very hard to damage the MinimigV1 board or one of its IC. PIC can not be "bricked" and the FPGA will be programed each time at power-up or PGM reset button press (when the Drive LED flicker). So nothing to worry about.

I will take a look at the RUBICON game title.
Until now I never played this one, so possibly there is a bug in the Minimig chipset core.

GREAT news! Thanks and thanks again! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:14 pm 

boing4000 wrote:
antiriad wrote:

Hm, even in the Linux e-uae the game do not scroll when character is at the right border.
The char. can still be moved left/right, jump and shoot but display don't scroll. Maybe its normal? I do not know this game.
Tests on Minimig and real A500 will follow.

I thought the same.
But looking at this longplay on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abEy7cTh ... age#t=301s

It seems that on the Minimig there's something wrong with scrolling.
I will check the game manual, maybe there is some option.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:22 pm 

PIC with latest firmware release PGL100818 can handle Fat32 and subfolder but only for ADF file selection menu.
Until now there never was any problem. But remember, PIC do not pre-sort the file list and a new created folder will be located at the end of the file list OR at the next free pointer when a file was deleted before.
Best would be to create a "games" folder in sd-card root and then create subfolder like "games\a" etc. and store the ADF images in there.
An ordering can be done using some file commander tool like TotalCommander. Move all files into a temp folder on sd-card and MOVE them back into the actually folder. Then the list will be stored as visible and PIC also reads all files in ordered list without knowing about ;)

Fat16 may be a bit faster becase its a bit less complex.
PIC could act better on Fat16 and it is supported. I use a 2GB sd-card in a PIC based Minimig board.
Sometimes a reformat may be necessary to remove some FAT error that PIC can't handle.

Some game/demo title do not like anything else than Chipmem.
In this case all Slowmem must be deactivated. Some other title require at least 0.5MB Slowmem... there is no rule, it all depends on the coding of this title.
Just try all kind of combination, also Kickstart version! Many title can not work at anything than V1.3 or V1.2. Kick 2.0 and higher is known as incompatible to older title, even in real Amiga.

Thanks for the youtube link. Seems to be some kind of problem in Minimig and e-uae!
I have to take a closer look at it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:37 pm 

boing4000 wrote:
PIC with latest firmware release PGL100818 can handle Fat32 and subfolder but only for ADF file selection menu.
Until now there never was any problem. But remember, PIC do not pre-sort the file list and a new created folder will be located at the end of the file list OR at the next free pointer when a file was deleted before.
Best would be to create a "games" folder in sd-card root and then create subfolder like "games\a" etc. and store the ADF images in there.
An ordering can be done using some file commander tool like TotalCommander. Move all files into a temp folder on sd-card and MOVE them back into the actually folder. Then the list will be stored as visible and PIC also reads all files in ordered list without knowing about ;)

Wow I'll check that. I'm actually on Mac, I will try with MuCommander. Thanks! :o

boing4000 wrote:
Some game/demo title do no like anything else than Chipmem.
In this case all Slowmem must be deactivated. Some other title require at least 0.5MB Slowmem... there is no rule, it all depends on the coding of this title.
Just try all kind of combination, also Kickstart version! Many title can not work at anything than V1.3 or V1.2. Kick 2.0 and higher is known as incompatible to older title, even in real Amiga.

Hmmm I suspected that! :)
A database of optimal configs for games/apps would be great, maybe we can forward the suggestion to Kim Lemon! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the youtube link. Seems to be some kind of problem in Minimig and e-uae!
I have to take a closer look at it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:18 pm 

antiriad wrote:

Can it be, that you have not often played this game before? :D You just need to kill some of the flying demons and some of the heads in the first screen and then the scrolling begins (when you walk right). This is normal, so this game works like it should, on Minimig and Win-UAE.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:47 am 

AW72 wrote:
Can it be, that you have not often played this game before? :D You just need to kill some of the flying demons and some of the heads in the first screen and then the scrolling begins (when you walk right). This is normal, so this game works like it should, on Minimig and Win-UAE.

Thanks for the report! :)
I really was confused about this non-scrolling bug and could not explain the cause.
The game gfx looks good, maybe I will play it for a while ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:19 pm 

AW72 wrote:
antiriad wrote:

Whoa, you are right!
On the Minimig I've killed the flying demons and the scrolling begins correctly, thanks! :o

Boing4000 sorry! :)