Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Now there's some HDF trouble for you guys
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:16 pm 

Hi all again,

just finished setting up my shiny new Minimig rev. 1.1 (AYQ090901). It works great, tested a few games, with my 21'' flat CRT -- boy I've never seen native Amiga video this big! What a joy.

Well now I'd like to get serious and use HDF. Ideally to use my real Amiga 600 HD setup later -- but I'm far from that right now. When I put an HDF file on the memcard, the OSD shows that the Minimig detects it. But the Workbench doesn't. I've tried the HDToolBox util from WB's 2.05 and 3.1, but none of them seem to detect the "drive". I've tried to copy a 800MB video on the memcard and rename it "hardfile.hdf". I've also tried with the hardfile provided by boing4000 in this thread, but didn't prevail.

Am I doing something wrong?

Post subject: Re: Now there's some HDF trouble for you guys
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:46 pm 

Check out the following settings:
- "A600 IDE : ON"
- Selected "Master:" drive must be "enabled" > Afer a system reset (ctrl+alt+alt) the assigned hardfile image should be detectable via HDToolbox.
- verify "SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=scsi.device" entry in HDToolbox icon info.

PS: Only Kickstart 2.05 "37.350" is able to work with the ARM/Gayle controller. Kickstart 3.1 out of A500/600/2000 also works fine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:20 pm 

Thanks Boing, the HD is now recognized!

But. Am I so dumb or is Amiga HD partitioning so complicated? I've been trying to partition the HD but HDToolBox acts weird. The only way to have two valid partitions is to use the Default Setup option, which divides the drive in two halves of equal size. Whenever I try to modifiy the size setting, the partitions segments go grey. And HDPrep can't use them.

I've tried Saving Changes and then formatting, Saving Changes and then low-level formatting... I'm bit lost. Could someone give me a step by step descritpion of how to do this? I mean, having a drive partitioned (100MB/700MB) and formatted?

PS: boy, I've already done this before, I don't understand what I'm messing up...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:47 pm 

Hm, actually HDToolbox only act weird if there is some very big HDD in use. Means >4GB in size due to the AmigaOS cant handle this right. If your hardfile is below 4GB it should be no problem to use it, even split to many parts.

Normal way is:
Use HDToolbox to partition the whole HDD (hardfile).
Save settings and reboot the Amiga (ctrl+alt+alt)
Use workbench format program (select new NDOS HDD partition and menu pic "Icon > Format Disk...". A quick format will be sufficient!
Also there is no need for the HDPrep tool (I even dont know what this is ;)).

The other SCSI/IDE function like "Low-level Format Drive" or "Verify Data on Drive" is not fully working on the ARM controller. Therefor special SCSI/IDE command string need to be add into its firmware. Also there is no need due to a flash drive with typically non defective block.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:45 am 

Everything is fine now. Thanks boing4000!

I had already done this several times some years ago on real Amigas, and to my surprise it hasn't gone as smooth today on the Minimig. I guess it's me. But still, I don't understand that when I delete all partitions and then click "New partition" in HDToolBox, it always says "Selected space not empty", or something else meaning that. If a portion of the bar is grey, it means "it's empty", doesn't it?

When you click "Default setup", the partitions created are a different grey (black/white pixel "checker"). I can't understand the difference between this and plain grey.

Can you explain what is wrong with me?

(Damn! I thought I had mastered HDToolBox already... :roll:)

EDIT: PrepHD is just a script with a nice icon on the WB Install disk. I think it simply partitions your hard drive half and half so then you can format it and install WB. Which is actually not what I wanted in the first place...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:28 pm 

At "Default Setup" the black one is the current selected partition.
The checker black/white is some other (in this case the 2nd) unselected partition.

If delete one, the only gray (transparent) area is empty space. Means no partition is present and ready to create a new one.
By click on "New Partition" only this grey (transparent) area can be selected for any new partition until the HDD is filled up.