Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Minimig YQ090911 firmware
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:26 pm 

Blitter.v is not the only thing that was changed. To adapt current blitter source to latest PIC compatible core could be done and perhaps fix some little glitches. More of interest is also the improved CIA, CPU, DMA timing structure in current ARM/FPGA core. To adapt all this backward to latest PIC release would take a huge amount of time and effort.
Therefor it would be more easy to adapt/change the current ARM compatible release "backward" to PIC environment. In this case GAYLE and HDD support would be an unuseable feature without interfere the normale function.

ECS/OCS is still important to many old game/demo, also in the future it may be possible to use more ECS feature (for Worlbench env.) then currently available. In this case this switching really IS important :)

The bootloader (blue screen showing info, loading kickstart...) definitely need adaption to handle PIC command string in order to know what to do. It may just be taken out of the latest PIC release and should work in current ARM version.

The DE1/DE2 port is not of usage for real Minimig pcb. Basically the core source is the same but DE boards uses an IP 68000 core and a simmulated Z80 MCU to handle bootstrap and OSD. Therefor it contain too much of changes, so we just need the last ARM compatible core files to build an up-to-date PIC compatible core.

Right now Im unable to stay a longer time at the desk (PC) to do that. Perhaps in time it can be done, also by someone else :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:37 pm 

Sergio wrote:
I've tried quite a few times to upgrade my ARM firmware but it freezes at the "upgrading, please wait" stage and does not reboot. I have the 090707 ARM + core version, trying to upgrade to 090911.
Can you give me a clue?

Oops sorry, it almost escapes me ;)
Did you try another sd-card containing the "FIRMWARE.UPG" file?

If an upgrade via sd-card is not working for you, an upgrade via USB is required.
Therefor you will need the ARM_FIRMWARE_BIN_AYQ090911.zip firmware file and the ATMEL SAM-BA program tool (Windows based).

The ARM chip need to be earased first to be program via USB. FIRST make sure the SAM-BA tool is working well on your PC system!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:35 pm 

boing4000 wrote:
To adapt current blitter source to latest PIC compatible core could be done and perhaps fix some little glitches. More of interest is also the improved CIA, CPU, DMA timing structure in current ARM/FPGA core.

Is the CIA/CPU/DMA not separate from ARM/PIC specific code?

boing4000 wrote:
Therefor it would be more easy to adapt/change the current ARM compatible release "backward" to PIC environment.

I am unaware as to how many or which files have changed. I will attempt to do a DIFF on the source tomorrow and see if there is no obvious upgrade route. However you are much more familiar with this than I am, if you say it is difficult I truly believe you.

boing4000 wrote:
ECS/OCE is still important to many old game/demo, also in the future it may be possible to use more ECS feature (for Worlbench env.) then currently available. In this case this switching really IS important :)

Demo maybe, game no.

boing4000 wrote:
The bootloader (blue screen showing info, loading kickstart...) definitely need adaption to handle PIC command string in order to know what to do. It may just be taken out of the latest PIC release and should work in current ARM version.

Ah, my mistake. What I thought as the bootloader and what you thought as the bootloader was two different things. It just shows I do not know the code really at all. Perhaps that can change....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:52 pm 

alexh wrote:
Is the CIA/CPU/DMA not separate from ARM/PIC specific code?

Yes it is but still the whole thing is inside the FPGA source and even signal name did change.
In general only the amount of available SPI command function did expand with the ARM controller. Therefor the fpga source need adaption to handle PIC controller right. This adaption is a lot simpler then add all the new feature and timing structure into current PIC comp. source code.

alexh wrote:
I am unaware as to how many or which files have changed. I will attempt to do a DIFF on the source tomorrow and see if there is no obvious upgrade route. However you are much more familiar with this than I am, if you say it is difficult I truly believe you.

It will require some work but its not impossible to do :)

alexh wrote:
Demo maybe, game no.

Games too, title like "Crack" and "Insanity Flight" is unplayable at ECS machine. There is more but I dont remember those names.
In general all program with problem on real Amiga 500+ will show trouble on Minimig too if ECS is active. Therefor this ECSENA bit is of importance.

alexh wrote:
Ah, my mistake. What I thought as the bootloader and what you thought as the bootloader was two different things. It just shows I do not know the code really at all. Perhaps that can change....

Never mind.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:29 pm 

boing4000 wrote:
Sergio wrote:
I've tried quite a few times to upgrade my ARM firmware but it freezes at the "upgrading, please wait" stage and does not reboot. I have the 090707 ARM + core version, trying to upgrade to 090911.
Can you give me a clue?

Did you try another sd-card containing the "FIRMWARE.UPG" file?
If an upgrade via sd-card is not working for you, an upgrade via USB is required.

I finally got around installing SAM-BA (second SD card, different brand, no luck).
Now SAM-BA is asking me for a com port and a board model. What should I do?
I reaaally hope that the next FW update will be possible through SD-card

Sergio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:20 am 

Please use also installed "SAM-PROG v2.4" tool to flash the ARM chip via USB.

Erasing ARM chip first before USB flash:
- unplug Minimig power
- set DIP switch "TEST" to "on" position
- power up Minimig board for at least 10 sec.! Nothing will happen, thats OK.
- power off Minimig again
- set DIP switch "TEST" back to "off" position

Writing new firmware into ARM flash memory:
- plug USB cable into ARM board
- power up Minimig again
- Windows now should auto defect the ARM chip as "Atmel Corp. at91sam SAMBA bootloader"
- start mentioned tool
- browse for current *.bin file
- hit "Write Flash"
- after some little animation "Success" status should point out a "1" (perhaps only for an eyeblink time)

After that the ARM chip contain flashed firmware and is ready to work after another power-off/on your Minimig board :)

Until now there was no problem in upgrading ARM firmware via sd-card. I have tested several card type (size and brand).
But I also require the USB way sometimes ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:26 pm 

Well, thanks for this very detailed step-by-step procedure. :)

[EDIT]

Erase part done, next problem is that Windows (XP) does not detect anything. Any idea?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:46 pm 

To be able to reprogram the ARM micro-controller you have to switch TEST dip-switch and not ERASE. Besides this the above description is very accurate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:37 pm 

yaqube wrote:
To be able to reprogram the ARM micro-controller you have to switch TEST dip-switch and not ERASE. Besides this the above description is very accurate.

Oh sorry, I just swapped this two words! Now corrected above.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:01 pm 

Ok, now with TEST the ARM board is detected by Windows but when I run SAM-BA, it just can't read the board type and says "No Board".
SAM-PROG just silently dies when I run it.
Next step?

[EXIT STUPID MODE]

It's written on the chip...

It worked, thank you guys!

Last edited by Sergio on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next