Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Minimig YQ090911 firmware
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:55 pm 

yaqube wrote:
majikeyric wrote:
And is it normal that I can't disable the action replay 3 ? Even when choosing : ar3 disabled it is still enabled and operationnal ... And yes I have saved the configuration :mrgreen:
You need to reload the FPGA core (switch the power off and on or reset the PIC/ARM chip).

:? oups yes sorry, I should have thought about reloading the FPGA core, it works fine now, thanks again yaqube and boing :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:41 pm 

boing4000 wrote:
yaqube wrote:
I have got it working in a very similar way. I used a binary image of a CD, selected it as a slave drive and mounted it using CD file system. It worked. But you have to use a binary image not ISO.

Strange, over here its only working with native .iso image. Means raw image taken out of some cd-rom (e.g. LemmingsCDTV.iso)
Any .bin (bound with .cue) file will not be detected as CD0:

I just used dd Linux to create an image of the AmigaOS3.5 CD (which is iso btw) and just named it AmigaOS35.hdf and selected it as second drive, set up CD0 to use scsi.device unit 1, and presto... it mounted :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:11 pm 

This has now become my main transfer method for getting software on the minimig... put files into a dir, use mkisofs to create iso, copy to minimig SD as cdrom.hdf, moe SD back to minimig and boot it. It's a heck lot better than using ADFs since it doesnt depend on UAE (mounting ADFs rw in linux doesnt work well), and since an ISO can be so much bigger, ofcourse.

But it would be really nice if one could set up the second drive as a CD-drive, to pick up *.iso files, and _not_ require full reset when changing iso image. Doable? :)

Oh (I almost forgot), can the USB port on the ARM controller be used for anything at all?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:03 am 

Is there a build of the latest CORE fixes included in YQ090911 for MiniMig's without an ARM controller?

Official or otherwise?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:31 pm 

Not until now. There is much adaption required (as far as I think) to make current core work with latest PIC release.
Still there will be no HDD, FAT32 or long filename support with PIC, only the new core timing and bugfixing would be of advantage.
I made a new core with ECS/OCS switch function via Spare-I/O jumper (last available). If you like to test/use this core, here it is to find.

@kolla
The USB port on ARM controller currently just provide chip firmware update. It is required to program the chip in the first place and after an chip-erase. Maybe in the future the USB port could provide something else.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:54 pm 

If the structure of MiniMig remains the same as it was originally the interface between the SD and the PIC/ARM is isolated from the rest of the core. It should be very easy to start from the YQ090421 source and pick up the updates from YQ090911 for BLITTER, CIA's etc. and leave the PIC interface alone? But I do understand that there are now features which are enabled by the GUI and so have physical connections into the cores.

The new core timing and bugfixing is the WHOLE POINT of the update as far as I am concerned. The niceties of the GUI & HDD access are irrelevant to me.

Thank you for the link.

Does this new core you have built contain the timing & bugfixes from YQ090911?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:27 am 

HI,

I've tried quite a few times to upgrade my ARM firmware but it freezes at the "upgrading, please wait" stage and does not reboot. I have the 090707 ARM + core version, trying to upgrade to 090911.
Can you give me a clue?
Cheers,

Sergio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:58 am 

kolla wrote:
Oh (I almost forgot), can the USB port on the ARM controller be used for anything at all?

With current firmware it can be used only for updating ARM ;) But who knows how Jakub evolves it...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:06 pm 

alexh wrote:
The new core timing and bugfixing is the WHOLE POINT of the update as far as I am concerned. The niceties of the GUI & HDD access are irrelevant to me.

Thats true, the most important thing is of timing adaption and fixing bugs at the core.
To adapt this into the present PIC compatible source would take more time/effort as to adapt the current ARM core source back to PIC.
The most important thing would be to adapt bootloader routine to accept PIC as MCU and act to its limits. Also the way of read/wirte stored config has to be alter to fit into the new core. In OSD the "cpu: 7.09/28.36MHz" setting could take over both the cpu and blitter speed. Setting "Blitter: normal/fast" could be used for ECS/OCS switching.

alexh wrote:
Does this new core you have built contain the timing & bugfixes from YQ090911?

No, it just contain the ECS/OCS switching methode. Due to a huge change in the current core timing, it is not easy to me (if even possible) to adapt the latert PIC core to current ARM core behaviour. Therefor the mentioned procedure above could be the best way to let PIC owner enjoy ARM core compatibility.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:50 pm 

Quote:
To adapt this into the present PIC compatible source would take more time/effort as to adapt the current ARM core source back to PIC.

Please be patient with me, I'm not quite upto speed. Why would we need to back port the ARM core source back to the PIC if we are not interested in newer features such as HD, turbo, ECS/OCS switch? Why not just keep the old PIC and the old interface within FPGA and just update blitter.v etc. etc.

Quote:
The most important thing would be to adapt bootloader routine to accept PIC as MCU and act to its limits.

Can we not keep the old bootloader?

Quote:
Also the way of read/wirte stored config has to be alter to fit into the new core. In OSD the "cpu: 7.09/28.36MHz" setting could take over both the cpu and blitter speed. Setting "Blitter: normal/fast" could be used for ECS/OCS switching.

While these are nice things to have, I am sure that a fixed value of 7.09MHz and OCS would be more than acceptable to non ARM owning MiniMig users who really just want improved compatibility rather than new features. I am sure we could keep the old PIC and old bootloader to begin with and just take the improvements in the chipset?

Quote:
Due to a huge change in the current core timing, it is not easy to me (if even possible) to adapt the latest PIC [compatible] core to current ARM [compatible] core

This huge change in timing affects the interface between the FPGA and the PIC or ARM? I thought this was just bootloader + the floppy disk / gayle IDE interface? I would have thought any changes to the individual cores such as blitter, CIAs etc. would be isolated to just their files, perhaps with some additional sideband signals passing between cores?

Is there anything that can be taken from the DE1/DE2 port of the YQ090911 release? Surely that doesn't have an ARM (or a PIC) and so some of the work must have already taken place?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next