Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:37 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Minimig Mods
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:34 pm 

boing4000 wrote:
RTC support (the address decoding) is implemented in current core. To make it useable a real battery buffered RTC chip must be connected from external to the fpga. I think this will be some feature for next generation Minimig. Also this is a feature for workstation to have correct date/time from boot-up.
IMHO for Minimig V1 this feature is needless and also hard to add.

I dont think it's needless, but if it's hard to add, then OK...

Quote:
The default time seems to be a result of the creation date of your inserted floppy disk image.
Without a reading the RTC kickstart will base upon inserted floppy disk format date.
Workbench 3.1 has default date as you pointed out (06-jul-94 12:41:3x).
Booting Minimig kickstart 3.1 with workbench 1.3 image the date says: 13-nov-91 10:14:2x (I think I made this disk image on that day).

I just set the Amiga system clock to current time+date and quick format an adf image. After copy the "date" command on it and boot from this floppy image: "date" says last written date+time on each boot-up = creation date :)

Aha - I guess I can do some trick with a timestamp file that is periodically touched on my not so important tmp: partition, and read date from that on bootup, got get a somewhat correct time - hm, maybe read time off serial line somehow..... hm... :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:31 pm 

Speaking of serial... :)
How about hooking on one of these babies and get a wireless nullmodem link over bluetooth with a PC, to run slip, ppp or just terminal emulator.
I'm already visioning mine with an antenna sticking out on the side :mrgreen:

I feel like reliving the early '90ies with the MiniMig, only this time there are all kinds of clever solutions available that makes it so much more fun :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:31 pm 

Yes this could work. But a bit too tricky to handle a RS232 protocol via BT on Minimig.
There also is USB>RS232 cable available, this will make a simple serial communication between both system possible.

Generally there is another point: How to read out a time string via SER: in AmigaOS. There has to be a tool for automatic time update at startup. Also the time host system (PC) has to be running and also support some kind of tool to provide the systems clock via COMx port.

Is the current system time really that important... ?
Still if somebody wants to build such a software couple, it can be done :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:07 pm 

RTC would be really nice. Maybe it would be possible to add small pcb with battery, rtc and quarc like for eg. this one:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ucts_id=99
?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:51 pm 

Most big problem is:
Where to connect this board? There is only 1 spare-i/o pin left. Even without the memory expansion is 3 i/o pin available.
Also this RTC chip has to be AmigaOS compatible! Else a special software to read/write the chip is required.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:25 pm 

boing4000 wrote:
Yes this could work. But a bit too tricky to handle a RS232 protocol via BT on Minimig.

If I understand things right... you hook this thing serial port (or directly to UART... I dont know how that is on MiniMig), fire up terminal program, configure serial port, send a special magical sequence to enter a configure mode, configure the bluetooth connection against f.eks. a USB bluetooth thingy on a linux PC (ofcourse it needs configuring as well), then exit configure mode, and voila - serial link established. Ofcourse you can also script this, so that every time minimig is booted, the magic sequence to configure things is sent over. It's not that different from what we used to do with modems earlier aith AT commands :)

Quote:
There also is USB>RS232 cable available, this will make a simple serial communication between both system possible.

Yes, I can already do that, but wireless is a lot more... convenient :)

Quote:
Generally there is another point: How to read out a time string via SER: in AmigaOS. There has to be a tool for automatic time update at startup. Also the time host system (PC) has to be running and also support some kind of tool to provide the systems clock via COMx port.

Correct - or one could establish tcp connection over ppp and use ntpdate.

Quote:
Still if somebody wants to build such a software couple, it can be done :)

I guess it isnt _that_ important, but I have missed it a few times, and it is fun just trying :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:17 pm 

Why not interface the RTC onto the SPI bus used by the MCU? All that will be needed is 1 extra IO pin on the MCU for device selection along with changes to the MCU firmware and FPGA core. Emulate the Amiga RTC in the FPGA and on bootup have the MCU query the RTC for the current time and then send that over to the FPGA just before the kickstart starts.

Heck, with the SPI bus being fairly common I bet a few other gizmos could be interfaced in the same way, all without competing for that last FPGA IO pin.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:31 am 

Location: A large, overpopulated, underprotected,oversensitive place attached to scotland and wales.
boing4000 wrote:

I agree. Did the average Amiga user really use the clock that much? :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:21 am 

turbonut2000 wrote:
boing4000 wrote:

I agree. Did the average Amiga user really use the clock that much? :)

Are we average Amiga users? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:37 am 

Location: A large, overpopulated, underprotected,oversensitive place attached to scotland and wales.
You got a point there :) You only have to look in my mini-museum to see I`m completely nuts :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next