Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Minimig core V1.29 makes IDE mod obsolete!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:29 pm 

redrumloa wrote:
In my limited experience compatibility is hit or miss on C-One Minimig. I don't know how it is compared to Minimig as I don't have one. I also don;t know if it is just the cracked versions not working. The games that do work, work flawlessly.

I don't know if you looked at the Minimig software campatability list, but nearly everything I tested worked. When it came to ADF games I almost always used downloaded "cracked" software as I couldn't be arsed to convert my originals, plus after installing WHDload I quickly discover just how many of my original disks have read errors.

One problem will be the Kickstart. Most of what I tested before the ARM board was with Kickstart 1.3. When I installed the ARM I started using Kickstart 3.1 in order to use the hard drive and what few games I did try still worked, but a couple had corrupted "crack screens".

Of course, the beauty of the C-One is that you can set up 2 cores to chose from in the Menu: 1 that is floppy only with KS1.3 and another with hard drive support and KS3.1.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:46 pm 

today i did it! :
I copied my original workbench disks to ADF's and moved them on my CF card...
I had an old harddisc lying around, a bit oversized, but ok anyway.
I) booted the installer Disk and my Harddisk was recognized immediately. so i installed the disks which was done in ~10 min.
well, all i have to do now is test if this thing will handle my CD drive as well to install more software :D

YAY! C-one team ... thanks a lot. its so much fun :*
what a wonderful toY

masterhit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:54 pm 

masterhit wrote:
today i did it! :
I copied my original workbench disks to ADF's and moved them on my CF card...
I had an old harddisc lying around, a bit oversized, but ok anyway.
I) booted the installer Disk and my Harddisk was recognized immediately. so i installed the disks which was done in ~10 min.
well, all i have to do now is test if this thing will handle my CD drive as well to install more software :D

YAY! C-one team ... thanks a lot. its so much fun :*
what a wonderful toY

Great! :-)

They say that IDE Fix should work to allow 2 devices off the IDE port, but if all else files try a Hard File off the CF card and the CD ROM connected to the IDE port.

If you get a chance, is there an old parallel port printer you can connect to the C-One to see if it will print?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:44 am 
The Minimig has an RS232 connector on it. Right? I remember using my old Hayes 2400BPS modem on the old RS232 port which means that it has input and output.

There are various connectors on the web to convert RS232 (RS232C ?) signals to USB and other types of connectors.

I think that if you are creative, you can write a driver to communicate to other devices. The question is whether you might need to connect it to a port on an IBM to work as a server or whether another device can step down to the speed of the RS232 port. They've already used programmable FPGA's to create the Minimig so I'm wondering if this is just another embedded project because if you can find an RS232 connector to ATA serial drive then if the drive can step down to the communication speed then you can essentially have a hard drive but I think it is possible to write software to use the RS232 port as a link to an IBM as a kind of server.

I'm giving away my idea to an Amiga community as a free public license and I don't have the money or time to develop it but I would like to see the Minimig become more developed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:15 am 

ChuckT wrote:
The Minimig has an RS232 connector on it. Right? I remember using my old Hayes 2400BPS modem on the old RS232 port which means that it has input and output.

There are various connectors on the web to convert RS232 (RS232C ?) signals to USB and other types of connectors.

I think that if you are creative, you can write a driver to communicate to other devices. The question is whether you might need to connect it to a port on an IBM to work as a server or whether another device can step down to the speed of the RS232 port. They've already used programmable FPGA's to create the Minimig so I'm wondering if this is just another embedded project because if you can find an RS232 connector to ATA serial drive then if the drive can step down to the communication speed then you can essentially have a hard drive but I think it is possible to write software to use the RS232 port as a link to an IBM as a kind of server.

I'm giving away my idea to an Amiga community as a free public license and I don't have the money or time to develop it but I would like to see the Minimig become more developed.

I have some software at home to connect an Amiga to a PC via the serial port for printer/CD ROM/RTG/Clipboard/HD access. When I get home I'll test it. My only worry is memory as I'm not sure the 1.5MB will be enough.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:32 pm 
Darrin wrote:
I have some software at home to connect an Amiga to a PC via the serial port for printer/CD ROM/RTG/Clipboard/HD access. When I get home I'll test it. My only worry is memory as I'm not sure the 1.5MB will be enough.

I stripped unnecessary files from Workbench and I had Ncomm running off of one or two drives because I never owned a hard drive on my first Amiga 500.

My Commodore 64 had the following protocols: X-Modem, X-Modem CRC and Punter. I know my Commodore 128 had the Y-modem protocol in the terminal program and they didn't have a lot of memory so it is a shame that you need more memory to do the same thing.

I bought my first thumbdrive from Lexar. It was a 128MB thumbdrive and I had to download a 5 megabyte driver. Drivers since then aren't that large and I know they are more complicated machines now but if you can't use existing Rom calls or Kernal calls in your Amiga then you will have a large program but a program has to be simple with just what you need and no more features.

I think that even a dumb terminal program with a null modem cable can make your Minimig function with file transfers using the IBM PC.

The Minimig board needs to be expanded in my opinion. Even if you make one that isn't fully compatible with the old stuff, you will have some of the same characteristics but possibly more powerful in a new machine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:31 pm 

ChuckT wrote:
Darrin wrote:

I stripped unnecessary files from Workbench and I had Ncomm running off of one or two drives because I never owned a hard drive on my first Amiga 500.

My Commodore 64 had the following protocols: X-Modem, X-Modem CRC and Punter. I know my Commodore 128 had the Y-modem protocol in the terminal program and they didn't have a lot of memory so it is a shame that you need more memory to do the same thing.

I bought my first thumbdrive from Lexar. It was a 128MB thumbdrive and I had to download a 5 megabyte driver. Drivers since then aren't that large and I know they are more complicated machines now but if you can't use existing Rom calls or Kernal calls in your Amiga then you will have a large program but a program has to be simple with just what you need and no more features.

I think that even a dumb terminal program with a null modem cable can make your Minimig function with file transfers using the IBM PC.

The Minimig board needs to be expanded in my opinion. Even if you make one that isn't fully compatible with the old stuff, you will have some of the same characteristics but possibly more powerful in a new machine.

It's the RTG function that I'm worried about memory-wise. When I used it on my A1200 and A3000 to retarget a 800x600 or 1024x768 8bit or 16bit workbench then they both had over 6MB of RAM available.

I need to track down those RAM chips to add the extra 2MB to the Minimig v1.1.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:56 pm 

OK, I've made it home, downloaded the v1.29 core, copied the files to my CF card and... the ****ing thing still hangs after reporting the Agnus (I do see the text showing that it is using the v1.29 extender).

I've done no hardware mods, the C64/VIC20 cores work, but I can't get this ****ing Minimig core to do anything. :(

I emailed Jens a couple of days ago for some ideas and I'm still waiting for a reply. Has anyone got any thoughts on this? Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:21 pm 

@Darrin,
You are using a 512K kickstart rom? Maybe try another kickstart rom even if it is 512K?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:33 pm 

redrumloa wrote:
@Darrin,
You are using a 512K kickstart rom? Maybe try another kickstart rom even if it is 512K?

Hi JIm,

Yes, I've used the same 512K Minimig v1.1 ROMs I always use.

Jens has contacted me and he's supposed to email me a program to test the memory on my extender card to see if that might be the problem. I'll let you all know how that works out.