Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Minimig core V1.29 makes IDE mod obsolete!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:47 pm 

http://www.c64upgra.de/c-one/

Quote:
february-6-2009: Minimig core V1.29 makes IDE mod obsolete!
The new Minimog core implements soft-IRQs, so the IDE ports can now be used without having to solder on the C-One! It is still recommended to do the first part of the mod (cut off the CSEL pin from the IDE ports for safety reasons), but that can be done without any soldering skills. Find the core on the download page of this website!

Post subject: Re: Minimig core V1.29 makes IDE mod obsolete!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:39 pm 

Done here! My C-One Minimig now has a hard drive! I removed the CS pins only and all seemed to work, except once in the process of installing OS3.1 the floppy drive stopped reading. I hit F12 and eject/insert the disk again and everything went fine from there. I don't know the cause of this. Side effect of not having the other mods? Minimig core glitch? I haven't seen this in minimig before, but who knows. No biggie, just thinking out loud. I will probably do the other mods anyhow, just in case.

Now, what to do with an 68000 Amiga with a hard drive? :-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:09 pm 

redrumloa wrote:
Done here! My C-One Minimig now has a hard drive! I removed the CS pins only and all seemed to work, except once in the process of installing OS3.1 the floppy drive stopped reading. I hit F12 and eject/insert the disk again and everything went fine from there. I don't know the cause of this. Side effect of not having the other mods? Minimig core glitch? I haven't seen this in minimig before, but who knows. No biggie, just thinking out loud. I will probably do the other mods anyhow, just in case.

Now, what to do with an 68000 Amiga with a hard drive? :-)

Damn, I wish I could retest my board at home and see if this finally fixes my Amiga core booting problem!

I think the ADF lockup and having to eject/reinsert is a feature to accurately emulate existing 15 year old floppy drives in real Amigas. Try downloading a "virtual 3.5" floppy cleaning ADF". :-D

My Minimig v1.1 board has a working hard file, but I was pressed for time and couldn't really test it thoroughly. I had OS3.1 installed, but due to the 1.5MB of RAM limitation I couldn't install games like Alien Breed Tower Assault. With the extra RAM available on the C-One this shouldn't be a problem.

How fast is the 68000 running as reported by SysInfo? Mine is 28MHz and according to Jakub he has WHDLoad running on the v1.1. It might be time to download KillaGorilla's WHDLoad pacakges and try installing them.

Also, how about installing Word Perfect, PenPal or Wordworth? Is the printer port active on the C-One Minimig?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:38 am 

Darrin wrote:
How fast is the 68000 running as reported by SysInfo? Mine is 28MHz and according to Jakub he has WHDLoad running on the v1.1. It might be time to download KillaGorilla's WHDLoad pacakges and try installing them.

I asked this question in http://www.a1k.org to Jens and Tobias. Answer: The Amiga 68000 insode the fpga is also runnig at 7.09MHz (PAL) but since this is a softcore the cpu internal microcode is no longer taking that many clock cycle as in the real 68(SEC)000. In fact the softcore is able to execute any 68k command in only one clock cycle. Especially benchmark program are based on "how long does it take to execute xxx commands" and will prompt an irrational result if the cpu does not act as expected. Same effect as on 680x0 with active cpu cache, the cpu can work much faster and will also outrun some programs.

Jens also told me that there will be some kind of slowdown to make old games and demos work properly on c-one's minimig extender. Then also sysinfo should report a 7.xxMHz 68000 cpu :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:37 am 

Thanks for that info. So I might find some software that doesn't want to play nice and fails not because of the Minimig core, but because of the soft 68000 core?

Right now the Minimig v1.1 is running nearly every game I want to play, but the C-One offers so much more expandability plus the easy access to additional cores right from the boot menu.

On another subject, has anyone made a untility to create a "hard file" of a given size for uses as a Minimig hard drive on either a SD Card or CF Card? My Minimig v1.1 has a 20MBish Hard File at the moment, but if I start throwing on lots of WDLoad games then I might need a lot more. It's a 2GB SD Card, so a 1GB Hard File would be nice.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:39 am 

IIRC the soft 68K CPU created by Tobias is almost cycle exact, only multiplication instructions work faster than in its real counterpart.

The hardfile used by the Minimig is compatible with WinUAE. You can use WinUAE to create a hardfile of any size you want (as long as it's smaller than 2GB - FAT16 partition size limit) and preinstall software on it. The hardfile must be a full image of a virtual hard drive (no sparse file).

I have added to the ARM firmware an alphabetical sorting of files (as for now only root directory is supported) and jumping to a file in the file selection window by pressing a key with the first letter of its name.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:08 pm 

yaqube wrote:
IIRC the soft 68K CPU created by Tobias is almost cycle exact, only multiplication instructions work faster than in its real counterpart.

So there shouldn't be too many problems then. I still want to test all the titles I have working on the v1.1 against the C-One using the same exact ADF files.

Quote:
The hardfile used by the Minimig is compatible with WinUAE. You can use WinUAE to create a hardfile of any size you want (as long as it's smaller than 2GB - FAT16 partition size limit) and preinstall software on it. The hardfile must be a full image of a virtual hard drive (no sparse file).

Doh! Why didn't I think of that! I used WinUAE to create my original "blank" ADF disks. Cheers. :-)

Quote:
I have added to the ARM firmware an alphabetical sorting of files (as for now only root directory is supported) and jumping to a file in the file selection window by pressing a key with the first letter of its name.

Excellent! One thing I did notice with the F12 menu was that I needed to use a joystick to "scroll sideways" on certain manu options. This was a real pain and I kept skipping too far. Can you asign a key on the keyboard to do this instead (or perhaps there is one and I just couldn't find it)?

Finally, assuming the RAM upgrade is done, is there any way that OS3.5 or OS3.9 can work with the Minimig v1.1 and the 68000? The minimim specs demand a 68020 and I tried to install OS3.9 on an expanded A2000 with no CPU expansion and it failed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:18 pm 

The OSD menu control keys have changed. Now you can use arrow keys to navigate, ENTER or SPACE to select an option and ESC or F12 to quit a menu.

To install OS 3.5/3.9 at least 020 CPU is necessary. It should be possible on the next generation Minimig equipped with appropriate CPU.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:37 pm 

A little more testing and it seems the extra mods will likely still be needed. If I hit F12 while there is hard drive activity, the menu text gets corrupted. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do the other mods later today and see if it improves.

@Darrin
In my limited experience compatibility is hit or miss on C-One Minimig. I don't know how it is compared to Minimig as I don't have one. I also don;t know if it is just the cracked versions not working. The games that do work, work flawlessly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:23 pm 

yaqube wrote:
The OSD menu control keys have changed. Now you can use arrow keys to navigate, ENTER or SPACE to select an option and ESC or F12 to quit a menu.

To install OS 3.5/3.9 at least 020 CPU is necessary. It should be possible on the next generation Minimig equipped with appropriate CPU.

Great. Thanks for the info.