Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Update on my personal C-One Board.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:10 pm 

If you read through my other posts you will see that I was having a HECK of a time getting the minimig to work on my C-One.

I was sent other cores (Space Invaders & Colecovision) from "Dirk" to try on my extender board, and they all ran fine.

However these cores were implemented 100% in the FPGA... The minimig core is more complex and makes use of the RAM, etc.

I have never had any problems with any classic core on my C-One board, everything works 100%.

So after all of the frustration I packed everything up and dropped in it the mail to Germany.

I can't wait to get my C-One back in 100% working order. I'm really interested to see what the problem was.

Rich

Post subject: Re: Update on my personal C-One Board.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:23 pm 

Perhaps it was a problem with the extender board. Oh well, at least this way you'll have the experts looking at it. I really hope mine works out of the box. Looking at the core read-me files it looks like I may have to "reflash" something.

Quote:
Before installing the FPGA extender card on the C-One mainboard, the board must be flashed
with "Newboot". The extender is "inserted" into the signal path between the 1k30 FPGA and
the VGA output. If the extender is not configured, you won't get any display on the VGA
monitor (black screen). It is therefore required to set the FPGA extender into a bypass-mode,
which is done by the "bypass core" that you should copy to the root directory of the CF card.
The bypass-core is also called "extender.rbf" and it's current size is 206kb. If you download
the Newboot archive, the bypass core is already in the required place.

Well that's about as clear as mud. Anyone know some step-by-step instructions on what I'm supposed to do?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:49 pm 

Darrin wrote:
Perhaps it was a problem with the extender board. Oh well, at least this way you'll have the experts looking at it. I really hope mine works out of the box. Looking at the core read-me files it looks like I may have to "reflash" something.

Quote:
Before installing the FPGA extender card on the C-One mainboard, the board must be flashed
with "Newboot". The extender is "inserted" into the signal path between the 1k30 FPGA and
the VGA output. If the extender is not configured, you won't get any display on the VGA
monitor (black screen). It is therefore required to set the FPGA extender into a bypass-mode,
which is done by the "bypass core" that you should copy to the root directory of the CF card.
The bypass-core is also called "extender.rbf" and it's current size is 206kb. If you download
the Newboot archive, the bypass core is already in the required place.

Well that's about as clear as mud. Anyone know some step-by-step instructions on what I'm supposed to do?

Basically, you need to flash with "Newboot" in order to use the extender.

When you install the Extender board you will be removing a bunch of jumpers from the C-One, and the extender installs there.

The "Bypass Core" is essentially just a core that makes the extender board "emulate" a bunch of jumpers on the board, just like it had before, so that it can use BBClassic to load the original cores.

If you ordered the board w/ the extender I would think it will be coming pre-installed, and the C-One should already flashed for you w/ Newboot & the board and extender should be fully tested together and working already.

I think you will be fine.

This must be torture for you, just get home already and play with your new toy. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:45 am 

RchGrav wrote:
Basically, you need to flash with "Newboot" in order to use the extender.

When you install the Extender board you will be removing a bunch of jumpers from the C-One, and the extender installs there.

The "Bypass Core" is essentially just a core that makes the extender board "emulate" a bunch of jumpers on the board, just like it had before, so that it can use BBClassic to load the original cores.

If you ordered the board w/ the extender I would think it will be coming pre-installed, and the C-One should already flashed for you w/ Newboot & the board and extender should be fully tested together and working already.

I think you will be fine.

Cheers for that. Hopefully it will be "Minimig Ready". So what do you do to flash with Newboot if it isn't? Does Newboot reside on the flash ROM and can be updated from the CF Card?

Quote:
This must be torture for you, just get home already and play with your new toy. ;)

LOL. I think we're both being tortured at the moment. :-D

1 week and 6 days to go...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:12 pm 

Darrin wrote:
Cheers for that. Hopefully it will be "Minimig Ready". So what do you do to flash with Newboot if it isn't? Does Newboot reside on the flash ROM and can be updated from the CF Card?

Pretty much, yeah, thats the way it works. Newboot resides on the small soldered-on flash daughterboard and gets updated via a menu option on the BBClassic menu. Once you do that it comes up with the Newboot menu. It's pretty straight forward.

You just have to populate the CF card with the proper archive from the C-One website. You should also test Newboot before flashing it just to be sure there isn't any weird problems which would keep the board from working. Worst case scenario the flash chip is socketed and could be replaced.