Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: MINIMIG - MISSING SOUND AND BAD JOYSTICK DETECTION
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:47 am 

Dear All,

Jens managed to identify the problem with my C-One and the Minimig core... it was the bloody CF cards I was using. Jens returned my board with a working CF card and my old cores work fine off it, plus he pre-loaded it with teh latest cores (thanks Jens).

However, all is still not good.

I've got the C-One Minimig booting up the same hard file I use on my real Minimig v1.1.

I've now got 2 pain-in-the-butt issues:

#1: With the new 2.01 core I have bad joystick response. Using 1943 and Alien Breed TA as test software the "left" direction is jerky and the "Left+Down" doesn't work at all. Other directions are less than fluid. If I go back to an earlier (pre-hard file support core) then the games work fine with silky-smooth joystick responses.

#2: I'm missing some sound regardless of what Minimig core I use. For example, in Red Storm Rising I can't hear the sonar "ping" or the "woosh" of escaping air when a torpedo sinks a sub. On Alien Breed TA I can't hear my weapon firing.

Any ideas or is anyone else suffering with these same issues?

Note: My C-One has no SID Chip installed (just in case that might somehow effect the board) and all the jumpers are set as they came from the factory. Testing the audio out ports, the same sound seems to come from both ports.

Post subject: Re: MINIMIG - MISSING SOUND AND BAD JOYSTICK DETECTION
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:24 pm 

Perhaps there is a timing glitch present between TG68k and Amiga chipset. Some title dont like a too fast working cpu and just skip several effect.
But this is only guessing and I cant compare it. Maybe Jens or Tobiflex can provide more inside and solution :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:55 pm 

boing4000 wrote:
Perhaps there is a timing glitch present between TG68k and Amiga chipset. Some title dont like a too fast working cpu and just skip several effect.
But this is only guessing and I cant compare it. Maybe Jens or Tobiflex can provide more inside and solution :)

Cheers for the suggestion. I'm going to have to do some more testing.

I've tried different kickstarts and fiddled with the Chip, Slow and Fast RAM settings, disabled the IDE, toggled the OCS/ECS, increased and decreased the floppy drives emulated.

One interesting thing, the Minimig boot screen (the blue one) states the SPI clock is 7MHz, after booting the menu does not offer the ability to change the CPU speed (unlike the Minimig v1.1 - it remains "normal") and SysInfo reports the CPU speed as 32.30 MHz yet the speed comparisons with an A600 and B2000 are 1.67 and 1.26 respectively.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:36 pm 

Darrin wrote:
One interesting thing, the Minimig boot screen (the blue one) states the SPI clock is 7MHz, after booting the menu does not offer the ability to change the CPU speed (unlike the Minimig v1.1 - it remains "normal") and SysInfo reports the CPU speed as 32.30 MHz yet the speed comparisons with an A600 and B2000 are 1.67 and 1.26 respectively.

Thats exactly the point. I know out of a1k.org forum the TG68k core is fixed to 7.09MHz by now. But due to the IP core of the 68000 it is able to process many cpu commands much faster then the real cpu. Therefor sysinfo report a faster cpu then actually present and also some demo/game title show certain problem.
In fact the IP 68000 need a slow-down to match real cpu command cycle time. Its nice to have a "faster" cpu but its not always best especially for oldschool stuff.

Lets make a test with Red Sector megademo (the most familiar one).
If there also is some sound note skip present in most demo part, we have found the reason even for Alien Breed TA etc.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:58 pm 

boing4000 wrote:
Darrin wrote:

Thats exactly the point. I know out of a1k.org forum the TG68k core is fixed to 7.09MHz by now. But due to the IP core of the 68000 it is able to process many cpu commands much faster then the real cpu. Therefor sysinfo report a faster cpu then actually present and also some demo/game title show certain problem.
In fact the IP 68000 need a slow-down to match real cpu command cycle time. Its nice to have a "faster" cpu but its not always best especially for oldschool stuff.

Lets make a test with Red Sector megademo (the most familiar one).
If there also is some sound note skip present in most demo part, we have found the reason even for Alien Breed TA etc.

The sound problem appears to be across all software. I just gave Lemmings a go and I don't get the "let's go!" as they leap from the balloon and the sound is definately missing a channel. It really sounds like I'm getting one of the stero audio channels routed through both audio outs with the other stereo channel missing.

I tried "Battleships" which works perfectly on the Minimig v1.1 and that refuses to load past the crack intro... which locks up "upside down".

On a plus side, I reformatted one of the Transcend 2GB cards as FAT32 which wouldn't work before and it boots the new core (won't boot the old core which required FAT16).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:17 pm 

Darrin wrote:
I tried "Battleships" which works perfectly on the Minimig v1.1 and that refuses to load past the crack intro... which locks up "upside down".

At least good news for this part: Battleship works fine with latest FPGA test core and ARM firmware.
PS: Cracktro is made "upside down" - looks mirrored even on real machine ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:34 pm 

boing4000 wrote:
Darrin wrote:

At least good news for this part: Battleship works fine with latest FPGA test core and ARM firmware.
PS: Cracktro is made "upside down" - looks mirrored even on real machine ;)

Ah, good news indeed.

I have also just dug up a different audio cable... I'm going to test that and hope that the sound works...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:40 pm 

Darrin wrote:
Ah, good news indeed.

I have also just dug up a different audio cable... I'm going to test that and hope that the sound works...

Damn, not the audio cable. :-(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:22 am 

Bumping this post (too) since I seem to have the same problem as the OP. The left channel sound is missing. Cables are 100% ok. Any ideas since last post?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:33 pm 

Hi,

I had the same problems. (joystick/audio).
The joystick problem it was solved when I deleted the extender.rbf file (from the root folder of the CF) and replace it with the same file that came with the C1minimigV201_build.zip As for the sound I read on the c-1 yahoo group something about needs 4 pins on the ext board. (the audio jumpers?),
Could not check this, as I have a real SID on board and IIRC some pins on the extender board must be changed....

chris