Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Filesys HDF files?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:29 am 

Has anyone ever managed to get one of these working with a minimig:
http://www.planetemu.net/roms/commodore ... dfiles-hdf

It seems they are "pure partitions" which i think should be used inside minimig using the "hardfile (filesys)" setting. But that doesn't work. I'll have a closer look at that, but maybe one of you guys already knows the problem.

The whole setup seems a little more complex since a quick look at the controller source code tells me that in this case the minimigs arm controller is supposed to fake the rdb itself.

Post subject: Re: Filesys HDF files?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:11 pm 

So far i found out that the "hardfile (filesys)" setting has some serious endianess problem on the mist and thus probably also on the zpu based setups like the de1 in the creation of the fake sectors.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:32 pm 

Adjusting the byte order allowed me to run "Indiana Jones" from one of those harddisk images. But only if i boot from a workbench floppy disk. Booting directly from the hdf ends in some "AmigaDOS" window.

Can someone who knows the Amiga better explain to me how such files are supposed to be used? Is the Amiga supposed to be able to boot from this?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:33 am 

I've uploaded the fixed hdd.c to the mist SVN. Maybe the other ports also have a use for this.

One thing that still doesn't work is to select a bootable hardfile(disk img) as IDE master and the game hardfile(filesys) as IDE slave. Then the Amiga doesn't even try to access the IDE slave. Changing both or using hardfile(filesys) on master and slave makes them both visible.

I am not sure if i am facing a problem with the amiga itself here as my amiga related knowledge is pretty limited.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:30 am 

Master of Gizmo wrote:
I've uploaded the fixed hdd.c to the mist SVN. Maybe the other ports also have a use for this.

One thing that still doesn't work is to select a bootable hardfile(disk img) as IDE master and the game hardfile(filesys) as IDE slave. Then the Amiga doesn't even try to access the IDE slave. Changing both or using hardfile(filesys) on master and slave makes them both visible.

I am not sure if i am facing a problem with the amiga itself here as my amiga related knowledge is pretty limited.

If memory serves the RigidDiskBlock itself contains a flag which tells the Amiga whether or not to spend time looking for further hard drives, or whether the current one is the last in the chain. Again, if memory serves, this flag is set using HDToolBox.

As for endianness issues in the RDB-faking code, that's entirely possible - when I wrote that code I was targetting the Chameleon64's Minimig core which has a second TG68 as the control CPU. The DE1 port also used a TG68 until Chaos started working on it - his variant uses an OR1200 instead.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:09 pm 

MMrobinsonb5 wrote:
If memory serves the RigidDiskBlock itself contains a flag which tells the Amiga whether or not to spend time looking for further hard drives, or whether the current one is the last in the chain. Again, if memory serves, this flag is set using HDToolBox.

Yes, that is right, see here (offset 20, flags):
http://lclevy.free.fr/adflib/adf_info.html#p6

I'm not entirely sure - it's been a while since I tested this on the DE1, but I don't think this was ever a problem there, since the OR1200 is a big-endian architecture, like the TG68.

Anyway, nice catch Till! I guess the original minimig will need this fix.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:23 pm 

chaos wrote:
MMrobinsonb5 wrote:
If memory serves the RigidDiskBlock itself contains a flag which tells the Amiga whether or not to spend time looking for further hard drives

Yes, that is right, see here (offset 20, flags):
http://lclevy.free.fr/adflib/adf_info.html#p6

Interesting. So it may be useful to modify the rdb returned for the master image if there's a slave image present. Sounds like a nice small task for this evening ...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:09 pm 

Ah ... i've added a patch to force the flags from 0x17 to 0x12 and now the slave ide is visible.

And again: It's in the repository and may be useful for other ports as well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:49 am 

Master of Gizmo wrote:
Adjusting the byte order allowed me to run "Indiana Jones" from one of those harddisk images. But only if i boot from a workbench floppy disk. Booting directly from the hdf ends in some "AmigaDOS" window.

Can someone who knows the Amiga better explain to me how such files are supposed to be used? Is the Amiga supposed to be able to boot from this?

This window is the "initial CLI" and appear when there is no "s:startup-sequence" file. Also the OS will need some standard command files to boot into Workbench or do some setup for a few games.
"Indiana Jones" may work without additional C: command files, just try to build a startup-sequence with the main executeable program of this game in its 1st line.

If it will not start, just copy all Workbench disk files to the HDF pratitin and it should boot into the GUI. Then the game can be start via icon.