Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:20 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: MiST - New Minimig
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:15 pm 

Will flash it tomorrow anyhow :) Thanks!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:09 am 

Hi Chaos,

Excellent! I'm at work at the moment, but as soon as I get home I'll run it on my box and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks very much for doing that!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:29 am 

Hm, I can't seem to get the core working on my board, when I turn the board on, it freezes at the Minimig boot screen, with the background coloured red rather than the usual blue (sometimes it draws the Minimig logo, sometimes it's just the red screen), though sometimes it does boot, but it freezes on the 2nd grey screen, and then the yellow light on the front of the board starts flashing (using Kickstart 1.3, also the same on 3.1).

Would it have anything to do with the firmware that is currently running on my board? It's on 140206_r209 at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:03 pm 

I'm not sure what could be wrong, it works fine for me. The only thing I changed was the audio logic, other than that the latest sources from the mist repo were used.

I'll check which fw version I have. In the mean time, can you tell me which board version do you have - is it the white one from Lotharek? Can you also try first loading your previous core and then loading the new core from the OSD menu (that is what I did)?

I remember there was some problem with the sdram controller on the mist board, I'll check that also.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:01 pm 

Yes, I've got a Lotharek board, v1.3. I've tried both loading the core directly at boot as well as loading the old core first and then your new core, I get the same result both times. I've tried a few different SD cards as well as a few different kickstart 1.3 roms from different sources, to no avail. When I try the 3.1 roms, it boots straight to the Amiga POST red screen indicating a bad rom, though the same rom works just fine on the old core. It's got me stumped!

I've attached a photo of what I occasionally get at boot, if it'll be of any help!

I appreciate your help! :)

Attachments:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 455.41 KiB | Viewed 1440 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:02 pm 

Hi silentnick, here is another core for you to try. I reverted the code to the old SDRAM controller, hopefully that will help with your problems. I also tried updating my mist board to the newest firmware, but even with that I have no problems running my previous core.

http://www.krajnc.org/files/minimig-de1 ... fix-t2.zip

EDIT:

Gryzor: did you try to use my previous core, did it work for you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:21 am 

Sorry, didn't have the time as I was spending it with my girl, but I just did; both cores (fix and t2) run just fine on my board... Weird!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:15 am 

Hi Chaos,

Yep, that did the trick! Your 2nd core booted just fine, successfully in Kickstart 1.3 and 3.1 and there's no crackle in the audio! Awesome, thanks!

It's definitely a curious one, would it have anything to do with the SD cards that I'm using? I tried 3 different cards with the old fixed core (a 8gb and 32gb SanDisk Class 4 cards, and a Lexar 4gb Class 4 card), and each exhibited the same results, I wonder, what cards are you guys using? As it's rather strange that my board is doing this when others aren't!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:17 am 

A Sandisk Ultra (1) 32GB here...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:30 am 

I was just looking through old emails and it seems both me and MasterOfGizmo had some problems with the SDRAM, specifically the fastRAM on the minimig core. I have currently no idea why that old core works for me all of a sudden (and apparently, for Gryzor also). I *did* resolder the FPGA, the ARM and the SDRAM on my board, as that seemed as a possible source of the problem. BTW, I have a pre-production PCB from MasterOfGizmo, not the white ones from Lotharek, so there are bound to be some differences.

Unfortunately, with the old SDRAM controller you loose the significant speed increase thanks to MMrobinsonb5's new cache and you just get 8MB fastRAM instead of 28MB with the new SDRAM controller.

I'll try to look at this again at a later time and hopefully a working fix will turn up, but it is hard fixing bugs you can't reproduce.

EDIT : I don't think the SD card has anything to do with this bug.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next