Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: MiST - New Minimig
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:52 pm 

Today the MiST board (for Mini-ST as this is supposed to run a Atari ST core as well) booted into workbench for the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIWXjs1BBmU

The board is slightly less powerful than the fpga arcade, but significantly more powerful than the original minimig. It's also cheaper than the fpga arcade (all parts except the pcb are ~100 Euro when bought in single-device quantities).

The board is a simple two layer pcb and all parts can be soldered manually. I've finished three devices and it takes about an evening to assemble one, only tiny qfp, but no bga packages involved.

The board does not have any ps2 ports. Instead it has a usb host and a built-in 4 port hub. USB is mostly working and the major part missing is the communication link from USB into the minimig core. This is some work, but no major problem. Initially only hubs, mice and keyboards will be supported, later USB joysticks and gamepads. But there are no limits, mass storage is also possible as well as all other kinds of USB devices.

The Minimig core running there is a port of chaos' Minimig DE1 rev5. No major changes were required, the entire Minimig core is untouched and also major parts of the controller firmware run unmodified back on the arm.

Last edited by Master of Gizmo on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: A new kid in town ...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:08 pm 

Very exciting developments there! Not just a new Minimig-alike but a very capable general purpose FPGA dev board!

Post subject: Re: New Minimig
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:35 am 

Oh, no!! Not another awesome FPGA retro-computer to buy! I can't resist these things, I'll be broken if you guys don't stop releasing new projects!
Atari ST, you say? How much and when? :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:03 pm 

gaula92 wrote:
Oh, no!! Not another awesome FPGA retro-computer to buy! I can't resist these things,

i would never have started this if the original minimig or the fpga arcade would have been available. My goal was not to build another device but to finally get access to one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:58 pm 

Hey, don't take me serious, I was using irony. I'd really want to get an FPGA Atari ST computer :)
Are you selling boards? (with a complete ST core if possible)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:51 pm 

gaula92 wrote:
Hey, don't take me serious, I was using irony. I'd really want to get an FPGA Atari ST computer :)
Are you selling boards? (with a complete ST core if possible)

I am not planning to sell these. I plan to give a few manually assembled ones to developers, but not more. Instead once the minimig core is working acceptable (currently i still face some stability problems) i'll just release all the schematics and the source code so anyone can build such a thing. Just like the original minimig did.

Post subject: Happy new year!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:12 pm 

Happy new year!

The MiST board with Minimig core is now in a
pretty usable state:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CzSRLxPbJU

The video might suggest different, but the video and audio quality are pretty good. The hrdware supports 18 bit video and should be capable of AGA.

I'll now fix some minor issues with the pcb and cleanup the source code a little bit and then i'll release everything in the next week or two.

The guys behind the FPGA arcade have expressed their interest in the USB code used for keyboard and mouse. I am wondering if i should ask them for their AGA code in return ...

Post subject: Re: Happy new year!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:33 pm 

Master of Gizmo wrote:
Happy new year!

And to you!

Quote:
The MiST board with Minimig core is now in a
pretty usable state:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CzSRLxPbJU

Excellent - it's great to see it up and running :)

Quote:
The guys behind the FPGA arcade have expressed their interest in the USB code used for keyboard and mouse. I am wondering if i should ask them for their AGA code in return ...

Definitely! (I suspect they won't want to give up their first-mover advantage just yet - but it can't hurt to ask!)

Post subject: Re: MiST - New Minimig
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:01 pm 

I've started the release. The latest schematics and pcb layouts can be found at

http://www.harbaum.org/till/mist

Source code will follow ...

Post subject: Re: MiST - New Minimig
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:03 pm 

Great job !

just few remarks :
- Why do you need 3 oscillators ? With a 5 Mhz one, the Cyclone III can generate both PAL and NTSC video frequencies.
- Your 3 x 6-bit video DAC might not be very linear. It would be better to use 3 x R2R DACs with transistors as voltage follower (please look at the A1000 schematics page 3 to get an example). Also, reserve some FPGA banks only for the VGA out and add extra filtering on the VCCIO.
- The Maxim USB chip is really expensive :shock: there are plenty of ARM controller with integrated USB 1.1 host. Even the FTDI Vinculum-II is at ~$5 with 2 USB host ports.

Regards,

Frederic

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next