Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: 50Hz Monitors for MiniMig
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:04 pm 

Thanks guys for your time.

Yeah AW72, I know that CRT is the best. Before I moved last year I had a bigger flat and I could afford the luxury of using a flat, very high-end 21" CRT from a Sun Microstation (a real landmark, this one). That was just a dream setup! Unfortunately I'll now have to find something much MUCH smaller, as room lacks and the wifey won't accept a 75 pounds piece of hardware lying around in the flat...

I'll have a go at the Syncmaster, then. Always heard they were good anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:19 pm 

RoC wrote:
espskog wrote:
What I often see, is that even if I find a LCD monitor that can show the 50Hz signal, the OSD is not accessible as it is not a "true" resolution which I feed it.

I post my experience in case it helps. I found out that one of my LCD monitor works with Minimig 50/31 hz and even with the real Amiga low-res (15 hz through a RGB/VGA adapter).

When displaying Minimig image, the OSD is fully available to customize the output. It is a DELL ST2410 full-hd LCD screen, with VGA, HDMI and DVI inputs.

Nevertheless the image is a bit too big for my taste, despite it takes all the screen and can be scaled to 4:3 , so I keep using a 17" LCD 4:3 and a Sony CRT 17" monitors. Both perfom well with the Minimig.

the ST2320 also works with my 1200 without scandoubler.

Wish I'd have known the 2410 would too, I'd have gotten that one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:32 pm 

I'd like to add two monitors to the 'working' list:

- Samsung Syncmaster 755DFX - a 17' CRT, works like a charm
- Samsung Syncmaster 931BF - a 19' LCD, works, some banding is visible, but not too annoying

Tested with the DE1 port of minimig. I don't have a scandoubler for my real Amiga, so I can't test it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:54 pm 

chaos wrote:

- Samsung Syncmaster 931BF - a 19' LCD, works, some banding is visible, but not too annoying

Tested with the DE1 port of minimig. I don't have a scandoubler for my real Amiga, so I can't test it.

ViewSonics are also generally good.. I use one (NX1940-W). It does 50Hz just fine but alas I cannot turn off auto scaling for VGA input... which honestly makes the screen suck as I have then those vertical stripes every now and then.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:32 pm 
boing4000 wrote:
My Samsung SyncMaster 940BF allow the 910 clocks per line and scrolling appear without pixel crushing.
Still scrolling is not as clean as on a CRT screen.

Hi ! I'm still struggling in my attempts to find an LCD monitor that would display the Minimig/MiST/FPGAArcade picture properly. Even my BENQ videoprojector works OK but scrollings are not perfectly smooth. On my other monitors it varies from no picture, to distorted images, doubled pixels, "moiré" background, choppy scrollings.... :'(

I can find some 940BF Syncmaster monitors. But even with this, scrollings are not expected to be smooth ?

Are there some up to date data regarding monitors ? (very very few of them seem to display animations perfectly ?)

thanks a lot & best regards,
Mahen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:58 pm 

The scrolling on LCD screen always appears non-smooth compared to an CRT screen.
This depent on the display technique itself. LCD pixel appear and disappear more direct than a pixel on CRT.
CRT has a physical delay between the new pixel will show and a longer delay after the pixel is disabled (phosphore light dim-out).
LCD panel work differently and there is no such dimming. Some older LCD panel will "ghost" pixel out and the typical shadowing will appear by moving any graphic, but this is a totally different effect.

Until now I did not met any LCD panel with the same 100% smooth scrolling as any (old or new) CRT screen. I doubt the LCD tech. will ever be able to do this.
Even the SyncMaster 940BF do have no smooth scrolling. The only advantage is the manual pixel clock management to set the pixel clock to have no picture distortion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:15 pm 

mr.spiv wrote:
chaos wrote:

ViewSonics are also generally good.. I use one (NX1940-W). It does 50Hz just fine but alas I cannot turn off auto scaling for VGA input... which honestly makes the screen suck as I have then those vertical stripes every now and then.

Tested recently with a couple LCDs against Minimig and V6Z80P. Both need 50Hz vertical sync with VGA:
- ViewSonic VA2447-LED (5ms) - 24" LED, works perfectly, also allows selection of 4:3 ratio
- Fujitsu L22T-5 21.5" FullHD LED (5ms) - 22" LED, works ok but only 16:9 ratio
- IBM ThinkVision L170 (25ms) - 17" LCD, works ok but the response time is sucky
- LP-10R02 (~9/19ms) - 10.4" LCD, 800x600 and 4:3 ratio, works ok but the response time could be better.
- HP Compaq LA2306x (5ms) - 23" LED, works great and allows setting 4:3 ratio as well
- Dell 2405FPW (12ms) - 24" LCD, works great and allows 4:3 ratio, many analog inputs, PIP, response time could be better

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:48 pm 

Thanks for all the testing and the impressions :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6