Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: write here about software which makes problems until now
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:03 am 

Im offering help/test/cooperate in implementing the DAC in the MinimigV1.
Currently it seems to be a bit hard (to me) to implement the code in the core structure.
If its done, its ready for testing and adjustments :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:23 pm 

MMrobinsonb5 wrote:
Let me see how difficult it is to use Frenchshark's DAC first, and then see how difficult my modified filter idea turns out to be. (One complication is that each DAC will be converting the sum of two independent channels, so the length of time between level changes won't be constant.)

Now that you are telling that, I remember that was one reason I did not explore that path.
Another reason is that the 6-bit volume change is not synchronous with the 8-bit sample change.
Potentially, you can get quite some 15-bit sample changes over a 256-cycle window.

On the other hand, putting only the new DAC is quite trivial but you will get that metallic sound.
You can try also a simpler 1st order IIR filter. The article from Antti Lankila gives some good hints : http://www.bel.fi/~alankila/modguide/interpolate.txt

Regards,

Frederic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:17 am 

frenchshark wrote:
Now that you are telling that, I remember that was one reason I did not explore that path.
Another reason is that the 6-bit volume change is not synchronous with the 8-bit sample change.
Potentially, you can get quite some 15-bit sample changes over a 256-cycle window.

Ah yes. (Fun fact: the Amiga's volume control was apparently implemented as a PWM gate on the audio path.) I would imagine registering the volume transitions to become synchronous with the sample edges would be possible, though, and wouldn't impair accuracy to any great degree.

Quote:
On the other hand, putting only the new DAC is quite trivial but you will get that metallic sound.

Indeed - I've got the DAC itself working on the cheap EBay CIII board I've been using for experimentation.

The output of the 3rd order filter seems rather attenuated compared with the simple 1st order filter I've been playing with, though. Is this a side-effect of the algorithm, or a deliberate choice to keep the output at line level when driven from 3.3v?

Quote:
You can try also a simpler 1st order IIR filter. The article from Antti Lankila gives some good hints : http://www.bel.fi/~alankila/modguide/interpolate.txt

Ah thanks for that - I've just had a quick peep, and there's some good info there.

Edit: by the way, is there a practical upper limit to the frequency at which a sigma delta DAC can run before imperfect waveforms on the output pins of the FPGA become an issue, or is it OK in practice to run them at near the fmax?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:17 pm 

MMrobinsonb5 wrote:
The output of the 3rd order filter seems rather attenuated compared with the simple 1st order filter I've been playing with, though. Is this a side-effect of the algorithm, or a deliberate choice to keep the output at line level when driven from 3.3v?

I noticed that too, I think it is a side effect of the algorithm. You can play with the quantizer :
assign w_data_qt_p2 = (r_data_fwd_p2[23]) ? 24'hF00000 : 24'h100000;
Be careful of not saturating the computation.

Quote:
Edit: by the way, is there a practical upper limit to the frequency at which a sigma delta DAC can run before imperfect waveforms on the output pins of the FPGA become an issue, or is it OK in practice to run them at near the fmax?

Since it is a passive RC filter, you will always get imperfect waveform, switching at many MHz. ;)
I ran mine at 85.9 MHz without any problem. It might get tough on the I/O drivers.

Regards,

Frederic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:29 pm 

I suggest the DAC discussion would better fit in the Development thread ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:08 pm 

boing4000 wrote:
I suggest the DAC discussion would better fit in the Development thread ;)

Good point - the next step for me is to try and get some FFT plots , so if no-one beats me to it, I'll start one in the Development forum when I'm ready to post them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:19 pm 

I have news here to some of the few games, which can not be loaded until now on the Minimig.

The two games "ARCADE POOL" and "THE DEEP" don`t work at all on the Minimig, when normal Diskversions of them was used.

But especially "ARCADE POOL" is a great game, which i also wanted to play on my Minimig.

So, yesterday i created some "Loader-Disks" for this games and i was successful in making this two games work now.

The game "ARCADE POOL" works perfect now with this Loader-Disk. No problems at all. It just has 2 Disks now, instead of 1.

The game "THE DEEP" has massive problems with the loading-process on the Minimig and until now, also freezing the game, just resulted in a blackscreen. But now with this Loader-Disk here, i succeeded in making a workable ingame-freeze and it´s normal playable now. Sadly, when you lost all lifes, the game don`t go back to the game-menue, but rather hangs in a blackscreen then. So the Minimig must be resetted to play again. Not perfect, but better than nothing, because the game itself works perfect, just when you finish a game it hangs.

So here are the Minimig Loader-Disks for this two games. Just rename from pdf to adf and use the Minimig-settings, which was written as instructions in the Amiga-DOS in the files itself.

Attachments:
Arcade Pool - 1.pdf [880 KiB]
Downloaded 252 times
Arcade Pool - 2.pdf [880 KiB]
Downloaded 228 times
The Deep.pdf [880 KiB]
Downloaded 244 times

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:34 pm 

Long time ago that something was written in this thread. Reason is clear, almost all of the incompatibilities which were written here over the years, are fixed in the meanwhile. Especially for Minimigs which are equipped with an ARM controller.

So for better overview, let`s write together the last incompatibilites of the ARM-Minimig, that are known in the moment:

- Demo "Abandon Megademo 1" has grafik-errors in part3 of the demo. scrolling text on the upper screen shows some errors in grafik
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=30445
(in the menu steer up/down with the mouse to see the different parts of the demo written in the little painted monitor in the middle of the screen. Then click left mousebutton to load the demopart you want to see)

- in the Game "ASTERIX - OPERATION HINKELSTEIN (OPERATION GETAFIX)" the right Mousebutton dont work correct (player needs this button is some parts of the game)
>> THIS IS FIXED IN THE MEANWHILE IN CORE FROM 10. FEB 2016 WHICH HAD A "BLITTER FIX", "7-BITPLANE FIX" AND "ASTERIX (POTGO) FIX" INCLUDED (Info on March 2016)

- Game "THE DEEP" dont work (because of DSKBYTR registers using in loader) - but above you can find a freeze of this game which can be played until all lives are gone. then the game resets because of the loader-problems. but better than nothing, so it can be played at least one time before reseting. :)

- new released Demo "VERTIGO" (http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=62973) has a grafik-error in first effect (four lines are shown which should not be there)
>> THIS IS FIXED IN THE MEANWHILE IN CORE FROM 10. FEB 2016 WHICH HAD A "BLITTER FIX", "7-BITPLANE FIX" AND "ASTERIX (POTGO) FIX" INCLUDED (Info on March 2016)

- there is no "extended-adf support" until now. so some savedisks still don`t work (the "Cannon Fodder" savedisk for example)

More comes not to my mind at the moment, that`s it. The other bugs are fixed. So, better always use newest firmware. :)

If somebody knows and find another "bug", please write it here. But i can tell you, it`s hard yet finding an incompatibility of the Minimig Primal-Board (i always speak here about a Minimig with ARM).

Addendum on 03.11.2014:

Found two programs more, which makes problems on the Minimig with newest firmware and ARM. I don`t wanted that this is forgotten in some weeks, so i add this here now. Then the "found-incompatibility-list" is complete again.

- the new demo "Sliced & Diced" has massive color-problems and some pixels where no pixels should be.
Here a link: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=63864
Pouet.net just has the file-version as download, so the demo must be copied on an adf first or started from harddrive

- the new demo "Sunglasses at Night" shows some blitter-bugs in 3D-objects (strange lines which go to the left screenborder) and also in the 3D-tiles there are lines which should not be there.
Here a link: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=64106
This is also a file-version so it also must be copied on an adf first or started from harddrive

Addendum on 08.04.2015:

Some incompatibilities more are emerged. I wanted to have them all in one entry for better overview. Therefore i add them here in this entry, where the other things was written.

- the game "Flimbos Quest" don`t work anymore. A user in a1k-forum noticed this. boing4000 said, that this is connected with the "CIA TOD Fix" for "Batman the movie" game. Which means, either works "Batman" correct, or "Flimbos Quest" until the bug is found and removed >> THIS IS FIXED IN THE MEANWHILE, BOTH GAMES RUN NOW (Info on Januar 2016)

- then i found problems in the new Amiga-demo "Sushiboyz":
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=65405
Seems like this is exactly the same kind of error, like in the "Sunglasses at Night" demo, which i wrote above. Also here in "Sushiboyz", nearly all 3D-Objects have strange lines on the Minimig, where no lines should be. They go from the object to the outside of the screen. And in "Sushiboyz" there is also a color-problem in the effect, where this head is zoomed and spotlighted. Here are strange colors on the Minimig, while on my real A500, the colors stay the same like they are in the unzoomed head. This head at the beginning is small and then zoomed and spotlighted. But the colors of the head should stay the same, when he is zoomed. This is not shown correct on Minimig, here are wrong colors then.

Addendum on 26.01.2016:

- found another demo which makes some problems on the Minimig:
"Vectorize" Demo by "Red Sector"
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=66795
Problems here looks very similar to the problems in the demos "Sushiboyz" and "Sunglasses at Night", which i mentioned earlier in this entry (strange lines in the 3D-objects - most likely a blitter incompatibility)

Addendum on 15.02.2016:

- in the game "Speedball 2" is a very small sound-incompatibility
Always when the ball is shot out in the playfield by the machine (for example after a goal when the game starts again, or at the beginning of a match) there is an error in the soundeffect. On the Minimig this soundsample when the ball is shot out, can not be heard completely, half of it is missing. Only a small "bug" that don`t influence the gameplay at all, but a person who play this game often, will maybe recognize it

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:07 pm 

AW72 wrote:
- in the Game "ASTERIX - OPERATION HINKELSTEIN (OPERATION GETAFIX)" the right Mousebutton dont work correct (player needs this button is some parts of the game)

This is unfixable at the MinimigV1 board hardware.
There is no free FPGA pin left to hard-hack something.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:14 am 

Some more of the few incompatibilities was fixed (look above). So it`s time, to write together the last remaining incompatibilities that are still present.

(1) Demo "Abandon Megademo 1" (needs OCS chipset) has a grafik-error in the part3 of the demo. The scrolling text on the upper screen shows some mistakes in grafik. On a real OCS-A500, these mistakes don`t exist.
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=30445

(2) Game "The Deep" can not be loaded because Minimig misses DSKBYTR registers. The game "Arcade Pool" had the same problem in the normal adf-versions, but it`s a onefiler and a full working freeze-version exists for it.

(3) In the game "Speedball 2" is a very small sound-incompatibility. Always when the ball is shot out in the playfield by the machine (for example after a goal when the game starts again, or at the beginning of a match) there is an error in the soundeffect. On the Minimig this soundsample when the ball is shot out, can not be heard completely, half of it is missing. Only a small "bug" that don`t influence the gameplay at all, but persons who play this game often, will recognize it.

(4) On the very end of the demo "Sushyboyz", when there is written "Ghostown - we are ninjas you not", is a little sound-issue. The demo ends correct on a normal A500, but on the Minimig it ends and then the music starts again for about 2 seconds and only then the demo ends completely. Tried all settings on Minimig, but this little bug is always present. Also when normal floppyspeed is used, because first i thought it could have something to do with this, but this was not the case.

(5) Some savedisks of certain games, for example the "Cannon Fodder" savedisk, don`t work on Minimig, because such savedisks are sometimes in a special format. The diskimage then is in extended-adf format and support for ext-adf is missing on Minimig until now. So saving in certain games dont work in the normal way. Some of them can be freezed with AR2 or AR3 and then the user can go on playing. Freezing on Minimig in Turbo-Mode don`t need so long, but it`s only a compromise here, best would be extended-adf support.

(6) ipf-support (original disk-images with included copy-protections) like the HxC-Floppy has it, would also be great. Maybe this could be integrated in the future?

That`s it so far, the other things was fixed. Points (3) and (4) are only very small issues, which have only very few influence on the software, but they are mentioned too, because the behaviour on a real A500 is different in this things compared to the Minimig.

It`s really great, how the firmware and core was improved and improved over the years. Compatibility of the Minimig V1-board, especially when an ARM-controller was used, is really superb in the meantime. From own experience, i would say it`s above 99%.

If anybody finds a new bug or incompatibility, write it here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next