Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: minimig-mist AGA v1.2 release
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:50 pm 

Personally I don't miss much, I just wish the darn serial port could handle faster speeds, it only works reliably at 57600 baud. And some built in way of making interlaced modes flicker free would be awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:09 pm 

I have already heard about these cases. But I wonder, how to access the SD card and the 3 MiST Buttons when the MiST board is in there.
If new keyboards are underway, that would be great news. I have a PC Keyboard now, it's O.K., but some keys are simply not on the right place, some are dead, and i see Windows keys instead of Amiga ones.

I hope the guy behind a1200.net will do an external version of this keyboard (A2000/3000 style) with USB plugs and F11/F12 keys for the FPGA menu. This would be a perfect solution for MiST and Apollo standalone.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:49 pm 

Sdram controller sdram_ctrl.v used in Mist v1.2 release uses nine bits width memory refresh counter named refreshcnt.
This counter decreases from 511 to zero once in every 16th tact of 114 MHz clock in phase 1 of sdram state machine.

Thus we have one refresh cycle for approx. 72 microseconds, while SDRAM chip need it to be once for 7.8 microsecond.
We have a potential problem here, if I`am got it right.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:52 pm 

@sonycman
Maybe better to put this here:
https://github.com/rkrajnc/minimig-mist/issues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:36 am 

kolla wrote:
@sonycman
Maybe better to put this here:
https://github.com/rkrajnc/minimig-mist/issues

Did a double there also, thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:12 pm 

Would anyone, please, check how the Brion the Lion game running on Minimig AGA core for Mist?
Which version (AGA or non-AGA) is not matters.

I have a graphic artefacts in the game menu, with the blue word "BRIAN".
When this word is rotating it covers up with black bars (lines), which is not normal.
Here is the video: https://youtu.be/6T8i5fBVtN8
Tried various memory\chipset options with no luck.

There is no such artifacts when running on old non-AGA core, like minimig DE1 port.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:02 pm 

Also I have problems with Aladdin (AGA) - the game crashes after loading in 10-20 minutes if just sit in the menu and watch demonstration.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:42 pm 

sonycman wrote:
Would anyone, please, check how the Brion the Lion game running on Minimig AGA core for Mist?
Which version (AGA or non-AGA) is not matters.

I have a graphic artefacts in the game menu, with the blue word "BRIAN".
When this word is rotating it covers up with black bars (lines), which is not normal..

This happens on the Mist AGA core too.

I'm running the Aladdin attract-mode demo as I type but it's been running for 20 minutes or so with no problems so far.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:55 am 

MMrobinsonb5 wrote:
This happens on the Mist AGA core too.

So this is another bug then.

As of Aladdin - did you have any fast memory enabled for it?
It seems that the game runs more stable without fast memory enabled.

Can you check one more game for me?
Name is Mick & Mack as the Global Gladiators.
The same appearance for me - don`t touch any buttons after loading (demo mode), and shortly the game crashes.
Without fast memory enabled game runs fine, crashes are with fast memory enabled only.

I`am running AGA core on DE1-SoC hardware, and it seems it is very unstable at the moment.
Probably problems with the memory.
That is strange, because non-AGA design based on Rok`s DE1 port is running fine without any memory related problems...

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:33 am 

sonycman wrote:
As of Aladdin - did you have any fast memory enabled for it?
It seems that the game runs more stable without fast memory enabled.

I'm using the Prodigy crack (probably a good idea to specify which crack when using ADFs so we can compare like-for-like) - and with Fast RAM enabled it won't boot beyond the cracktro. There's a quirk with the Minimig's Fast RAM in that it disappears immediately after a Guru, and comes back after a subsequent soft-reset - so with Aladdin, the sequence is:
Boot with Fast RAM -> Cracktro -> crash -> Fast RAM disappears -> boot -> Cracktro -> game
Then the game runs OK.

Quote:
Can you check one more game for me?
Name is Mick & Mack as the Global Gladiators.
The same appearance for me - don`t touch any buttons after loading (demo mode), and shortly the game crashes.
Without fast memory enabled game runs fine, crashes are with fast memory enabled only.

Again, the prodigy crack, and yes I can reproduce this. With Fast RAM enabled it boots, goes into attract mode, but seems to crash on returning to the menu.

Quote:
I`am running AGA core on DE1-SoC hardware, and it seems it is very unstable at the moment.
Probably problems with the memory.
That is strange, because non-AGA design based on Rok`s DE1 port is running fine without any memory related problems...

Unfortunately there are aspects of the core's design that only just work, and all the TG68-based variants of the Minimig core suffer from a certain amount of build-to-build stability problems. A tiny change in a completely unrelated part of the core can be the difference between Fast RAM working and not. When I was tinkering with the Chameleon64's Minimig core I used Zeewolf 2 as a test case - if I can play through the first level without it freezing the build's generally a good one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next