Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: minimig-mist AGA v1.2 release
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:13 pm 

Hi chaos,

Is there a possibility for doing smaller releases, and releasing more often? There has been no release for about half a year now :-(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:31 pm 

It's a little bit sad, that the minimig is a one man show at the moment :-(
The Apollo Team has announced the "Standalone Vampire2" with1 GB RAM and the Apollo CPU. I see the danger, that this could become a successor to the MiST like the MiST became a successor to the original minimig. I wish there would be something like the "Minimig Team" to drive the minimig forward. Amiga is by far the most important core on the MiST.

Amiga(Ist)MiST

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:47 am 

Any info on that standalone accelerator? Couldn't find anything...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:58 am 

It was announced in this podcast by Gunnar von Boehn, it will be a variant of the a1200 accelerator:

http://www.theretrohour.com/sinclair-sp ... hour-ep34/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:24 pm 

AmigaMiST wrote:
It's a little bit sad, that the minimig is a one man show at the moment :-(

Sources are there, feel free to hack around.

Quote:
The Apollo Team has announced the "Standalone Vampire2" with1 GB RAM and the Apollo CPU. I see the danger, that this could become a successor to the MiST like the MiST became a successor to the original minimig.

Danger? Why on Earth is that a danger?! If they manage to pull it off, great!

Quote:
I wish there would be something like the "Minimig Team" to drive the minimig forward. Amiga is by far the most important core on the MiST.

For YOU maybe, for others it is not, and the current Amiga AGA core is plenty usable, you cannot really expect it to become much better, just a few fixes and perhaps networking and (low res) RTG.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:53 pm 

I didn't want anything to say against the Minimg core. I love it, I use it! I had a Amiga 500 back then, I have a sort of accelerated Amiga 1200 now.
The MiST is great also, a nice little machine, runs with USB power from my smartphone charger, affordable price, nice design, can be placed in the living room.
And if the Apollo Team brings out the standalone Vampire, I will certainly have a look at it!
1 GB of RAM sounds a little bit insane for me, but maybe this is the opportunity to bring modern software from other platforms to 68k Amiga.
I am really interested in all FPGA Amiga related stuff, since I bought the MiST a few months ago.

I am not a HW developer, I cannot estimate the hours of work that is necessary to do the rest. If we have a perfect Amiga core in the next time, forget my comment.

All I wanted to say is: in the software world, there are projects like Linux, Libreoffice, etc.
But there is no "Minimig project". Chaos and the FPGA Arcade for example did TWO separate implementations of AGA (chaos mentioned it in a comment somewhere). This wouldn't happen, if there would be ONE central minimig project.

And the Apollo team is already organized as a TEAM, not like minimig. So minimig could fall behind, because of the lack of an organisational structure. It would be great, if chaos, FPGAArcade and Apollo would do _one_ central implementation of an AGA core, make it perfect, and use it everywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:47 am 

You cannot use the same core everywhere, since the FPGAs used in the different projects are not the same - this is not software :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:58 am 

Once the FPGA Arcade core sources are released (as Mike has said he will do), one can look at it and see if there is anything done there that one can also benefit from on the MIST. I'm sure there will be many FPGA projects coming in the future, adding more RAM and higher speeds to our reimplemented Amiga systems, some will opt for AC 68080 and SAGA as their core, some will prefer open source cores.

Last edited by kolla on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:58 am 

Yes, it's fascinating, how much is going on in the moment. I reentered Amiga a few months ago, after more than 2 decades of absence. I couldn't believe that somebody has build a 68080 CPU in 2016 for the Amiga.
What's somehow missing now are Amiga cases for FPGAs, real Amiga keyboards and floppy drives.
I really would like to copy a floppy with White Lighning again :-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:47 pm 

Cases are on their way, didn't you know? :)

https://www.a1200.net/

The guy behind this kickstarter also hopes to have a production of new keyboards for those cases, with some luck, those may also have USB option built in. Floppy drives are kinda "out" these days, people use Gotek drives, HxC and various other options that lets you mount disk images from memory cards. Or simply just use WHDLoad, a truly awesome piece of software that is now for free.

On my MIST I use WHDLoad also for those occasions where I just quickly want to test something in a clean Workbench 3.1, 2.1 or 1,3 environment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next