Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 7:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SD Workbench Classic configuration
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:27 am 

I will soon be receiving a MiST so I would very much appreciate it if someone can please upload a guide of how to create and prepare a SD card with Workbench Classic 3.1 using WinUAE.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Post subject: Re: SD Workbench Classic configuration
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:55 am 

Hi,

minimig supports the same harddisk format as WinUAE, so just create a hard disk image of the size you want, and after installing ClassicWB, copy the .hdf file to the root directory of the SD card. While minimig firmware can generate RDB block on the fly, it is best if you select RDB mode for the harddisk image in WinUAE. Also, make sure you attach it in WinUAE as an IDE harddisk, not UAE. Just makes things easier, IMO.

If you want a detailed guide, I can write something in a few days.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:02 am 

chaos wrote:
Hi,

minimig supports the same harddisk format as WinUAE, so just create a hard disk image of the size you want, and after installing ClassicWB, copy the .hdf file to the root directory of the SD card. While minimig firmware can generate RDB block on the fly, it is best if you select RDB mode for the harddisk image in WinUAE. Also, make sure you attach it in WinUAE as an IDE harddisk, not UAE. Just makes things easier, IMO.

If you want a detailed guide, I can write something in a few days.

@chaos - I'm new to the Minimig or MiST now, so if you could write a detailed guide, that'd be of great help. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:31 pm 

I believe you can find a lot more help for this in the general Miming discussion forum on this site, as this topic is not really related to the MIST as such. And UAE forums of course, in particular WinUAE forums, and general Amiga forums such a EAB. What I do myself is just to make a large file "something.hdf" using dd on linux or mac on the SD card, select it from the menu as a hard disk drive, and then boot up using Installer31.adf, use HDToolBox to set it up and install it just like you install any other Amiga. I never used ClassicWB, but I found this:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=59621

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:51 pm 

Now that I have received my MiST I have other related questions:

Before I start making full use of it I'd like to make a master backup of the SD card with the Amiga configuration I bought with my MiST.

Is it possible just to copy the content of the original SD card in a new SD card formatted in FAT32?
Or do I need to partition in WinUAE the Sd card first and do the whole installation with the configuration of choice?
Can I use a bigger capacity SD card, i.e. 32GB with FAT32 format?

Thank you in advance for any help.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:10 pm 

Yes, you can of course make backups simply by making a copy of the content of the SD card, and yes you can use bigger cards, I use a 32GB card currently.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:15 pm 

Hi,

generally speaking, it is enough to just copy all the files on the SD card to a new card, and everything should work OK. But minimig also supports using partitions as Amiga disk drives, so make sure to check if your SD card has more than one partition, and that partition will probably not be recognized in Windows / MacOS. In that (unlikely) case, use some imaging software to make a complete image of your SD card.

Any SD card of SDHC type should work. I think I have one 32GB (maybe it's 16GB?) card and it works completely without problems. Just make sure to format it as FAT32.

A hint: for speed, always copy any .hdf files to the sd card first, so they won't get fragmented.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:40 am 

@chaos

For some strange reason either straight copying or creating an image using Win32DiskImager is not working for me. I have use Windows Dos' diskpart to clean and format the 32 GB card in F32 and SDformatter, but in either case: No luck.

The MiST can't boot from the image SD card.

Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:49 pm 

What is the content of your card, and what are your settings?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:21 am 

kolla wrote:
What is the content of your card, and what are your settings?

Download a pdf from here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B85CjT ... sp=sharing) with a list of files in the SD card.

Any other suggestions?