Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: My humble feature requests
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:17 am 

I don't know how much development of Minimig cores on MIST follows Minimig, but anyways, I do have some wishes :)

* buildt in flicker fixer - a video option that improves the video signal of interlaced PAL/NTCS modes on VGA output, doubling the scan frequency or whatever trickery one can do, pretty please with sugar ontop! :)
* load iso files as disk image - this is already possible, but iso must be named #?.hdf - if a loaded #?.iso could automatically show up as CD0 already from eatly boot, that would be awesome, it would essencially turn MIST into a FPGA CD32.
* hard disk images in folders, currently only hard drive images #?.hdf located on root of SD card. On Minimig I have them in folders.
* kickstart rom images in folder too!

My intention is to experiment with AROS/m68k on MIST, and I expect a lot of kickstart images and hard drive images for this, having associated kickstart and disk images in the same folder would be a major plus (ditto for my other crazy stuff, like uCLinux/m68k).

Post subject: Re: My humble feature requests
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:51 pm 

Hi,

- flixerfixer - probably won't be done, since it would require saving a whole framebuffer in memory and reading it back at the same time, I don't think there is enough SDRAM bandwidth for this, as it would make the CPU very slow.

- iso images can be loaded if they're renamed with .hdf extension, I guess that is not a problem. You can probably automatically mount iso image if you move the CD0 driver from storage to dosdrivers (I think).

- hdfs & kickstarts in folders: that should be easy to fix, as it is a firmware only change - I'll ask Till about it, we already discussed this some time ago

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:41 am 

- flickerfixer - Ah, that's a shame. I will experiment with various video modes and see if I can find something with more square pixel resolution that works better than PAL/NTSC interlaced does currently.

- yes, I can load ISO images if I rename them with .hdf extension and mount them with for example CDFileSystem, but it is not obvious. It would be nice if the menu recogniced .iso extension.

- great, looking forward to it :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:57 pm 

Would it be possible to use a real Amiga floppy drive or cdrom with the MiST? The "ARMIGA" has a builtin real Amiga floppy, but it is only an emulator running on an ARM board.
A combination of FPGA+real floppy/cdrom would be great. While compatibility of the minimig core is already fine, it is not possible to buy software for it. AFAIK you do not need special cdrom hardware for the Amiga. Would it be possible to connect an external cdrom drive via usb?
For example, I would like to buy the AmigaOS 3.9 cdrom and install it on my virtual harddrive on the MiST.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:25 am 

Hi, unfortunately there are no spare IOs to connect the floppy to. The only option would be to use an USB floppy, but that would probably be very hard to implement timing wise. Plus, I don't miss floppies all that much ;)

It is possible to install AOS 3.9 (or 3.5) on minimig, I've done it a couple of times, and I believe kolla did it also. There are some instructions on one of the topics on this forum (you can mount an .iso image as a hard disk on minimig).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:47 pm 

Mounting an iso image requires a seperate PC for extracting the iso image. This is possible, but not cool :-)
If the MiST would have a cdrom attached via USB, it would be a real standalone computer, like a real Amiga!
It would open the door for participating in the retro software market. "Reshoot", for example, is distributed via cd.
Plus, not everyone has a private PC nowadays. I use an Android tablet for feeding my MiST.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:45 am 

I agree it might be interesting to support this, but it's going to be quite a lot of work, and the transfers will be slow. It's not high on my priority list, but I will think about it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:13 am 

It looks like somebody has already build a FPGA Amiga with a real floppy. Looks like a complete new FPGA board (modified minimig ?).
All I have found is this youtube video. Looks very interesting to me:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OAxe3ryDPwQ

I have never heart of this project before. Cool.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:01 pm 

Very cool indeed! I like that it has connector for A500 keyboard, it can easily replace an A500 motherboard, and 4MB of FastRAM too :)