Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: MIST/Minimig and Fast RAM
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:02 pm 

Yeah, it seems any attempt at using ROM update or LoadModule makes FastRAM vanish. As for Resolution, I use NTSC High Res Laced, in 16 colours, and with the old MagicTV hack. It really just boils down to what icons and fonts you are comfortable with.
I am sending you a new fancy kickstart, this time I actually buildt it on the MIST itself :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:34 pm 

Btw - how did you mount the ISO?
I have only tried with CacheCDFS and CDFileSystem, CacheCDFS never seemed to find anything on my scsi.device unit 1, while CDFileSystem finds it, mounts it, but for some reason gives me all file names in UPPER case.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:23 am 

I didn't mount the iso, I think I had some problems with that some time ago, so I didn't go that route. I copied the CD to a hardfile image in WinUAE, and then used that to boot and do the install. I think this is the easiest way, I just updated the S-S, commented some stuff and added an assign for the CD, and the install went without a hitch.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:09 pm 

I experimented a little. CacheCDFS works perfectly fine, just need to turn off "Direct SCSI" option :)

Btw - it seems FastRAM also vanish if I run the good old "reboot" command, version 39.2 from 30-Jul-92, I believe it came with OS3.1.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:41 pm 

Did you try installing from ISO image using CacheCDFS?

Yes, I know about the fastRAM issue, I'm not completely sure what is the reason. I'll have to take a look at the kickstart disassembly, to see how fastRAM is enabled / detected & what we're doing wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:25 pm 

Yes, I installed OS3.9 from ISO image directly without any issues now, only anoyance being that I have to name it .hdf, hehe ;)

I notice that if I use "Slave : Hardfile (filesys)" and pick an ISO, they show up as "DH1: Not a DOS disk", how cool it would be to have it show up as CD0: if the image inserted ended with .iso?

Btw - I set slave to MMC/SD partition 1 and mounted the SD card as DS0: using Fat95, great for transferring ADFs and kickstart images, firmware updates, soft cores, disk images etc directly from within the Amiga!

Btw2 - totally unrelated issue, but I have looked all over the place for a keyboard with actual two windows keys without any luck, they all have a left windows key and only a menu key on the right these days, that menu key just works as F12 and brings me up the MIST menus, and I have no key that does right-amiga, and it drives me nuts. I also have issues with location of Ctrl-key and amiga-keys vs. alt-keys, on Minimig I used to rebuild the core myself to move the keys to have the location they have on real amiga keyboards (alt-amiga-space-amiga-alt, and ctrl on capslock) and I will probably do the same here too. Unless, of course, a menu shows up that lets me decide how do configure all these special keys? :P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:34 pm 

Interesting observation - all 020+ versions of KingCON starting with 1.8 and up to Cosmos 40.4 crash with 8000 0004 (Illegal instruction) - can it be some rarely used 020+ instruction that is not implemented on the MIST 020 core?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:02 am 

Interesting manufactor ID on those boards :)
This is with AmigaOS3.9 CD mounted on scsi.device, unit 1 with CacheCDFS.

Attachments:
mistgrab.png
mistgrab.png [ 54.31 KiB | Viewed 965 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:39 pm 

kolla wrote:
Yes, I installed OS3.9 from ISO image directly without any issues now, only anoyance being that I have to name it .hdf, hehe ;)

I'll look into supporting .iso files as proper ATAPI (CD) devices.

Quote:
Unless, of course, a menu shows up that lets me decide how do configure all these special keys?

See here: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki/DocIni
There's an option to remap keyboard codes (key_remap).

Quote:
Interesting observation - all 020+ versions of KingCON starting with 1.8 and up to Cosmos 40.4 crash with 8000 0004 (Illegal instruction) - can it be some rarely used 020+ instruction that is not implemented on the MIST 020 core?

I have no idea, but I'll test it.

Quote:
Interesting manufactor ID on those boards :)

Hmmm, maybe I could update the ManufacturerID ... I did apply and got my own manufacturer IDs ;), they just wouldn't show up unless the boards.library would be updated ...
The harddrive Vendor & Product data need to be byteswapped, I meant to fix that, but forgot ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:40 pm 

chaos wrote:

I'll look into supporting .iso files as proper ATAPI (CD) devices.

Wow, awesome!

Quote:
See here: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki/DocIni
There's an option to remap keyboard codes (key_remap).

Ah, brilliant!

Though I can make it work with many keys, I struggle with ctrl, alt and GUI keys, or maybe I just got wrong USB keyboard IDs?

I used IDs from here http://www.freebsddiary.org/APC/usb_hid_usages.php and made in MIST.INI the following:

Code:
[mist]
scandoubler_disable=0

key_remap=39,e0 ; Swap CAPS and left CTRL
key_remap=e0,39

key_remap=e6,e7 ; right ALT send right GUI
key_remap=76,e6 ; MENU send right ALT

key_remap=e2,e3 ; Swap left ALT and left GUI
key_remap=e3,e2

But all I get from it is that caps lock is no longer caps lock, and does nothing. Left ctrl is still left ctrl, alt and GUI keys are all still the same.
Am I missing something obvious?

Quote:
Hmmm, maybe I could update the ManufacturerID ... I did apply and got my own manufacturer IDs ;), they just wouldn't show up unless the boards.library would be updated ...
The harddrive Vendor & Product data need to be byteswapped, I meant to fix that, but forgot ;)

I am sure having boards.library updated is not too hard :) But I have no boards.library here, the information about vendor IDs comes from somewhere else, I have no idea where - more detective work.

EDIT: Oh it is just hard coded into the ShowConfig tool :) And boards.library thinks I have two different Buddha Flash IDE Controllers in my MIST, hehe.