Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: BLOODWYCH CLASSICWB HARD FILES
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:43 pm 

Wizard66 wrote:
OKey this is looking interesting.
It looks like you have more luck then me with 3.9.
have you tryed the other version i send ?

Hi, yes, I tried your and got nowhere so I decided to go back to basics again and created a OS3.9 with BB1 & BB2 installed, and used that to create the ClassicWB3.x.

I've just spent the last few hours cursing this ****ing thing. There is something that causes a guru and then trashes the HDF file causing me to go back and use the original file and make all the changes again. Bloody thing is driving me nuts.

I'm not giving up!!! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:35 am 

Darrin wrote:
Wizard66 wrote:

Hi, yes, I tried your and got nowhere so I decided to go back to basics again and created a OS3.9 with BB1 & BB2 installed, and used that to create the ClassicWB3.x.

I've just spent the last few hours cursing this ****ing thing. There is something that causes a guru and then trashes the HDF file causing me to go back and use the original file and make all the changes again. Bloody thing is driving me nuts.

Just do it in small steps and backup your .hdf to a hdd on your pc between big changes.
that saves you a lot of reentering all the changes (a bakup of the files take 1 or 2 min ?)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:15 pm 

Wizard66 wrote:
Darrin wrote:
Wizard66 wrote:

Just do it in small steps and backup your .hdf to a hdd on your pc between big changes.
that saves you a lot of reentering all the changes (a bakup of the files take 1 or 2 min ?)

Yep, doing that every so often now. A backup of a 3GB file from the card takes about 5 mins. Seems longer when you just want to get back to experimenting again.

Anyway, as I PMed you, everything works in stunning 256 colours with NewIcons... except none of the Preference screens open (although I can see the memory being deducted for opening them). Bloody thing! Same file works OK on WinUAE and the windows open OK.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:00 pm 

OK,

Wizard66 and I have been battling for a while to get OS3.9 running on the FPGA Arcade. Until recently, the best result I got was to get Bloodwych's ClassicWB Lite running which was OS3.1 based.

Finally, we've managed to get the ClassicWB OS3x running to a limited level. Here's what it "should" look like:
http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/os3x.htm
Unfortunately to get it to run we had to tinker with it...

IPrefs and MAKEDIR files replaced from WB3.1 disks to prevent gurus.
FBlit disabled in startup-sequence to prevent guru.
CyberBugFix disabled in startup-sequence to prevent guru.
Copper and Freewheel disabled in WBStartup to prevent errors.
Amidock disabled in WBStartup because it demands workbench.library v45.
AsysncWB disabled in WBStartup because I dicovered it was preventing the Execute Command window opening in Workbench (wasn't an issue with IPrefs disabled).
Screen mode set to Hi-Res PAL using WinUAE, but Hi-Res Laced works fine if you can live with the flicker.
No prefs working on FPGA Arcade, but will run on WinUAE, but non PAL/NTSC modes don't display when tested.
I later set the colours to "16" before uploading the file to make it available to Chameleon64 users. 256 colours will work fine if you use WinUAE to change the prefs and save them.

As I said, trying to open any prefs results in the memory decreasing, but no window opening. Some programs will not open, such as DOPUS, while others like DPAINT4 and FINAL WRITER will.

On the really positive side, I tried a couple of WHDLoad programs and they launched (Xeneon2 for example) and played OK.

Unfortunately while it also runs on the Chameleon64 in 16 colour mode with ECS chipset and the alpha 68020, there are additional errors that don't occur on the FPGA Aracde:

Opening the same HDF file on the Chameleon64 using ECS and the Alpha 68020 CPU produces the additional problems:
Magic Menu fails and needs to be SUSPENDed. This could be removed from the WBStartup.
VisualPrefs fails and needs to be SUSPENDed. This could be remarked out in the Startup-Sequence.
Attempting to open any Prefs fails to open a window, but unlike the FPGA Arcade, I get the error message "requires resource.library v44"... hmmm.

Also, on both the FPGA Aracde and Chameleon64 I started getting a yellow guru stating a program had failed (no idea which one) and the system had recovered and press left mouse button to continue. You have to do this twice. It never used to pop up so something new has triggered it.

Here's a link to the 3GB HDF file for anyone who would liek to experiment with it:
https://rapidshare.com/files/3214981178/CWB3916C.rar

I've ripped enough of my hair out over this, so I'm hoping someone here might managed to work out what else needs to be fixed. As I've mentioned, WinUAE doesn't suffer from many of the problems (I could use the OS3.9 MAKEDIR and IPREFS, I could use FBLIT, the COPPER worked along with everything else in WBStartup and of course you can change system preferences and save them).

If you fiddle with it then don't use the original download file - make a COPY. The OS3.9 IPREFS had a nasty habbit of somehow trashing the HDF file when it was executed that prevented it running again.

Possibly there's nothing more that can be done software wise and the errors may be due to bugs lingering in the Minimig and 68020 cores. In that case, I hope this might help to track them down.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:14 pm 

I dont know if this makes a difference was you using amiga os3.9 revision 1 (red one with some bugs) or 2nd edition (pink one with some bug fixes)?

and do any of the boing bags work on fpga arcade ie official 1 and 2 and unofficial 3 and 4.

PS have you tried os 3.5 maybe is lighter to work on fpga arcade?

Last edited by digiflip on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm 

I speculate on some unimplemented 020 cpu command is used in OS3.9 software.

Chipset (Copper etc.) itself should not be the problem, else many game and demo would show error. Running Workbench really is an easy job for Copper and Blitter.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:16 pm 

Cheers for the suggestions guys. A bug in the 68020 softcore seems to be the favourite option.

I haven't tried OS3.5 myself, however someone on the Chameleon64 group said he tried it and it failed. Perhaps I'll give that a go.

The OS3.9 I used to create the HDF file was updated with Boing Bags 1 & 2 (You have to do that as per Bloodwych's instructions).

Wizard had been fighting to get a plain OS3.9 install running and was hitting the same problems I was.

I guess I could dig up BB3 and BB4 and install them and see what happens. I'll let you all know how many new errors they give me. :lol:

Meanwhile, we can still use ClassicWB Lite, but I prefer the look of this one.

The good news is, OS3.9 will work on the "real" 68060 acording to Jakub so it really does point the finger at the soft CPU. Hopefully we'll see some updates to that at some point in the future.

Meanwhile, if somebody does manage to get the preferences working then please let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:39 pm 

ok guess will have to wait for yaqubes gorgeous duaghterboard, or another revision of 68020 core or better

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:07 am 

It's indeed a bit frustrating hitting these incompatibilities..

Has anyone been working on the minimig core after the initial Replay firmware?
Is tobiflex involved with the 68020 version at all, or is that only Yaqube's project?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:18 pm 

Yaqube made the Minimig-AGA port for the Replay board and still is working on it AFAIK.
TobiFlex made the TG68k and TG68k.C core. Also the Minimig port to the Chameleon hardware.

I think both developer will continue thair work including bugfixing :)