Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: BLOODWYCH CLASSICWB HARD FILES
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:07 pm 

I've been a big fan of the Bloodwych ClassicWB pre-configured hard drive environments and I used the OS3.x one compiled from the OS3.9 CD on my A4000. Also, I use the 68000 version on my Minimig v1.1.

I've been fighting for a while to get these to work on the FPGA Arcade. The only one that seemed to work was the 68000 version and all the others designed for the A1200 and above hung on a black screen (or in the case of the 3.x one, a guro or a reset loop after patching the Kickstart).

Well, today I made some progress. I have the LITE version running on the FPGA Aracde. The culprit was the FBLIT untility called during the startup sequence. I noticed that the thing would boot as long as the system was configured with CHIP RAM only and would hand if any sort of Slow or Fast RAM was added. I then went about disabling various parts of the startup-sequence and the Workbench Startup which allowed me to boot with Fast RAM and then I re-nabled the various parts one-by-one to see which evil little bastard was to blame.

That's the good news. The bad news is that on the FULL and ADVSP packs there is something else causing it to hang. I haven't even looked at the 3.x version yet.

Anyway, I'm going to do some testing of the various games in WHDLoad on the FPGA Arcade, Chameleon64 and Minimig v1.1 (obviously I'll use the FPGA Aracde to test the AGA versions when available).

I'll post a link where you can download the LITE version of my Hard File for those who would like to play with it or test the games. Remember folks that this is a OS3.1 based install so if you don't own a legal copy of OS3.1 (and the OS3.1 floppies in AmigaForever work fine when compiling) then don't download it and you really should delete any games you don't own. I trust you all to make the correct moral decision. ;)

Post subject: Re: BLOODWYCH CLASSICWB HARD FILES
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:01 am 

Hang on for a bit to get a download link. I had to upgrade my Rapidshare account in order to post a 3GB file and now they say it can take up to several days to verify my PayPal payment. Bloody worked in seconds last time I did it! :x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:06 pm 

i'm waiting for your link Darrin ;-)
I tryed also to install Bloodwych ClassicWB Lite and have the same result reboots ect.
I tryed a clean install of OS3.9 but this also is giving install problems (you can install the os but after a reboot it hangs..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:23 pm 

Wizard66 wrote:
i'm waiting for your link Darrin ;-)
I tryed also to install Bloodwych ClassicWB Lite and have the same result reboots ect.
I tryed a clean install of OS3.9 but this also is giving install problems (you can install the os but after a reboot it hangs..

While I wait to be able to post the file, try this with your LITE install HDF:

Configure your FPGA with a 68020, AGA and only 2MB Chip RAM (no other memory)... and it should boot into Workbench.
Edit your startup-sequence and find the lines where it checks a condition and then executes FBLIT and remark them out using a ; (I think there are 4 lines IIRC).
Save your startup sequence.
Reconfigure your FPGA Arcade with 8MB of Fast RAM and reset.
It should now boot into Workbench with 8MB of Fast RAM and if so then save the menu configuration.

I should be able to post mine soon for download... fingers crossed. Meanwhile I'm busy testing WHDload games run from it. I was pleasantly surprised to see Alien Breed 3D AGA actually worked!

Last edited by Darrin on Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:54 am 

So far so good,
I have the ClassicWB .HDF working like you pointed out.
I'm happy to have this working so far (have to check if all is working, keep u updated about that)
I want to run OS3.9 but it seems to have some similar problem maybe you can check this out.
Well let’s see how it's all going PM send.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:07 pm 

Wizard66 wrote:
So far so good,
I have the ClassicWB .HDF working like you pointed out.
I'm happy to have this working so far (have to check if all is working, keep u updated about that)
I want to run OS3.9 but it seems to have some similar problem maybe you can check this out.
Well let’s see how it's all going PM send.

Will do and thanks. I'll take a look at it tonight or tomorrow. The wife is going to drag me out the door shortly. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:09 pm 

OK, uploading my 3GB hard file (1.5GB compressed). 10 hours remaining! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:27 pm 

OK, here's a link for a 3GB ClassicWB Lite installation (PAL/256 colours/FBlit disabled). Have fun...

https://rapidshare.com/files/152561645/AK3GLITE.rar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:13 pm 

I managed to get Bloodwych's ClassicWB3.9 running on my FPGA Aracde and you can change the various preferences!

OK, now the bad news, I had to disable just about everything and I'm in the process of reactivating the various components to see what is causing it to fail.

So far, the MAKEDIR commands to set up ENV:, T:, etc in RAM cause it to immediately Guru so those have been remarked out. The COPPER untility in the Workbench Startup folder is another "no-no", plus one other untility also causes it to freeze and reset.

I'm getting there...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:48 pm 

OKey this is looking interesting.
It looks like you have more luck then me with 3.9.
have you tryed the other version i send ?