Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Replay Board Casing --- anyone?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:36 pm 

So, the replay board also need a casing. Even thought it is a MiniITX form factor, it looks to me that the board has connectors on both sides. This (correct me if I am wrong here) will prove tricky when putting inside a standard MiniITX box when not all connectors as reachable from the rear.

Do we need to take out our Dremel and superglue and construct new casings (or modify existing ones) or will someone be kind to custom make some for a nice price ?

Or -- just loop the connectors to the back and attach with screws to the cabinet in use.

Discussion is hereby started :)

MikeJ might add some nice info here aswell on how this is best solved when implementing the Replay board in a MiniITX casing.

Regs, and pre-happy xmas-greetings,

Espen
SilverHawk BBS: silverhawk.ath.cx

Post subject: Re: Replay Board Casing --- anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:04 pm 

Dremel on standby here. :lol:

I'll probably try and do something similar to my Minimig v1.1 and install the FPGA Arcade into a PC PS2 Keyboard. The height of the board may be an issue so some sort of "legs" to raise the keyboard off the desk may be in order.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:15 am 

It's Dremel Party all over when it comes to retro-fitting :) I am not sure yet how I will do it myself. I am not sure I will put it inside a keyboard casing, because as you point out, the height is an issue. Unless you order the Replay board without connectors, and simply wire the connectors yourself from the PCB to external ones. That might be your best shot if you want to secure a board that has minimim height. But Mike won't be able to test the board fully before shipping it then, and that might aswell be a drawback. Personally, I dislike desoldering DSUB connectors as they tend to need a lot of heat to come off (not the pins, but the mounting bracket thingie on the sides). Ah well, maybe with proper hear it's easy. I just have a "normal" iron with no suction. :)

Still, I am a little insecure how we can find cabinets for the Replay board as not all connectors are on the backside for ITX cabinet mounting. Does anyone have an opinion/solution/hint/tip/option on this ?

//Espen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:53 am 

I guess the easiest solution will be to copy The Daddy's "cube" style case where the ports are accessed from all sides.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:40 am 

I'm hoping CUSA can get their case out. That would be a great case for a RetroReplay. It looks like the ports on the back are:

1) Power - This is a good thing, as it uses a standard molex connector.
2) Serial Port - I don't know if this is even accessible for anything other than programming the board. If it is accessible, an extension cable would be trivial.
3) A switch - I have no idea what it is for, but it shouldn't be to hard to route to another location.

I don't think casing will be a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:39 am 

As the FPGA Arcade will not be exclusively dedicated to the Amiga for me, i will try to find or realise something like a mini arcade cabinet...

About that, if somebody own an Adventure Vision console, i'm looking for the dimension, and detailed pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:10 pm 

I guess casing will be easy as the PCB is Mini ITX, so one just have to route the front-ports to the back if they are needed. Still, I am looking forward to getting the board.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:13 pm 

There really are no ports to route. I believe it is only the power button and programming serial port that only have internal connectors. Few people will use the programming serial port, and if it is in a Mini-itx case, the power button on the case will make the one on the board redundant. This means that the only reason you would need to open the case is if you were doing some kind of FPGA development.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:44 pm 

Pending the Replay Board...

I received a mini-Itx case that can be use with the board...
It's in plastic ... Back in the days ! Plastic rulez ;)

Nothing extravagant.. 20x20x6 cm. It use a standard Itx back panel. There is a lighting ON button on the front (should work with the RB).
The board must be fixed "head down" and a 2"5 / 3"5 can be screwed to the bottom...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:06 pm 

Since several months, I 'm thinking of using mini arcade case for a future Replay Board.
I searched for the Adventure Vision dimensions without success at this time.
(if someone have one, please let me know)

When I saw that iCADE.

It could be cool to have a such cabinet for the replay board. No ?