Minimig Discussion Forum

Discussing the Open Source FPGA Amiga Project
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: GP2X WIZ
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:18 pm 

Location: A large, overpopulated, underprotected,oversensitive place attached to scotland and wales.
Thought I`d reveal this little marvel to you all :

http://www.gp2x.co.uk/aboutit.html

I ordered one of these and so far, it runs every Amiga game I have at full speed. Haven`t tried any AGA games yet though.

Post subject: Re: GP2X WIZ
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:59 pm 

It seems to use an emulator (uae) for playing Amiga games?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:25 am 

I have had a Open Pandora Handheld on order (paid) for over a year.(Same People) Still haven't gotten one.

They shouldn't collect money before something is ready to ship.

It has been a huge fiasco.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:20 pm 

Location: A large, overpopulated, underprotected,oversensitive place attached to scotland and wales.
oh, That`s not good :( I hear though that they are about to start shipping if that helps. Don`t know if it`s the same company But I know from looking at http://www.gp2x.de that there are hardly any files for it.

@Boing4000

Yes it does use a version of UAE

Edit:

Sorry, that link should be http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi

Last edited by turbonut2000 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:33 pm 

turbonut2000 wrote:
Yes it does use a version of UAE

Too bad, would be nice if this system could run a native Minimig core ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:00 pm 

also interesting is the DINGOO A-320. it has 400 MHz and can be overclocked (by software) to 430 MHz to run some emulators faster. i read in some forums about it, and people who has one are very satisfied with it.

look here:
http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info ... t-station/

or here: http://www.dingoo-digital.com/

it has an unbeatable good price (56,02 EURO) when you look what this handheld can:
for example, it emulates: NES, SUPER-NES, ATARI-ST, ATARI-800XL, C-64, MEGA-DRIVE, MASTER-SYSTEM, ATARI-VCS2600, VCS5200, VCS7800, PC-ENGINE, ARCADE-GAMES, NEO-GEO. NEO-GEO POCKET, GAME BOY, GAME BOY COLOR, GAME BOY ADVANCE.
then some pc-games runs on it, like DOOM, DUKE-NUKEM, QUAKE and so on.

sadly for AMIGA no programm exist until now to run the soft on the dingoo, but iam sure, this will come. if than its an emulator or runs a native Minimig core, i dont care so much, as long the software runs good on it. until now most emulators for it are in an early stage v1.0 or 1.1, but like people wrote who have one, they run good. some with frameskip1 to have fullspeed, but good in the whole. and the c-64 emu is a port of the VICE-emu, thats good to hear.

then also there is a very good mp3-player with top-quality in it, movie-player, pics, txt-files and so on (dingoo can read the txt-files for you and this should work good in englisch and chinese). you can hear radio with it, it has a voice-recorder and many other things. some people hacked the original-software of it and when you flash this handheld with new firmware and a double-boot then it can also run a linux-version, called DINGUX. some of the emulators i wrote above need dingux to run, so thats the reason why some systems, like C-64, atari-st and so on are not mentioned in the official handheld-manual, because they need dingux and its not an official product, its selfmade from some people. then you can run more software and weekly updates and new programs come out for this handheld.

and all these emulators can be updated easily by simply copy newer versions over the old ones. i bought me a MEGA-DRIVE-GOPHER some weeks ago (which is a really good machine) and now i ordered one of these A-320 here :D now i must brake myself from buying new handhelds or retro-things, because i think i have enough now :lol:

when i have it here (probably in about 10 days), i will write how good the emulators are and what i think about this machine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:54 pm 

I chose the Wiz rather than the Dingoo because of lack of an Amiga on Dingoo. Also, The Wiz has a 533Mhz cpu and hardware graphic accel and built-in rechargeable battery lasts 7hrs!!. I`ve heard that some folks have managed to overclock the Wiz to 800Mhz. Personally I only clocked mine to 680Mhz so far cos I don`t wanna risk boiling the poor thing to death ;)
Dingo is next on my list. :D
I would Loooooooove to get a Pandora, Too pricey though :?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:53 pm 

my dingoo is here now and I LIKE IT !!!! :D very fast delivering, just one week and iam lucky it was packaged well!!!

first i must read much in some forums today, how to install DINGUX on it and flash it with a double-booter and all that stuff. not so easy and flashing can be dangerous when a mistake was made, but in the end i managed it. dingux now runs and with it many other new programms and emulators which was not on the normal dingoo.

very cool are the emulators, especially VICE for the c64 emulation. when the dingoo runs with 430 MHz i have fullspeed without frameskipping in c64 games. great. the emulators of the 8bit konsoles all runs fullspeed without frameskip, the 16bit konsoles until now dont run perfect, but the emulators are in an early stage and iam sure this will change with further releases. on the other hand - the game boy advance and the neo-geo emulator runs really good, even with v1.0 releases of their emulators.

the mp3 player really has good quality and i installed the gmu-player in dingux which works with m3u lists and own key-settings and all stuff. great!!!

i have not tested all functions of this handheld since now, because i have it only for one day. but until now this handheld is really great.

i read about the wiz, seems also be a really good handheld but much more expensive than the dingoo until now. i found the DINGOO for 56,-- euro on the internet from CHINAVASION. that was the reason i choose the dingoo and i must say for that price - really good!!!

puuuh overclocking from 530MHz to 800MHz? i think the cpu will not live very long with that. ;) so better like you did it with 680Mhz.

today i played 1 hour the gba-game "wario land 4" and overclocked the dingoo to 430Mhz all the time and it dont get warm in any way. not a little bit. i read it has a natural 400Mhz cpu downclocked to 334Mhz to save akku, so 430MHz should be not a problem for it, i think even 450MHz should not harm it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:13 pm 

The Dingoo sounds really good, especially at that price. I`ll be keeping my eye on it :)
I like what you said about Vice, So far on the Wiz, Vice is very buggy but the guys will soon get it up to speed, I`m sure. GBA on Wiz is full speed even when under-clocked to 400Mhz (Increase battery time?).
Amiga runs SMOOOOTH at full speed for about 90% of software (if Wiz is overclocked to 600Mhz) so I`m happy :D
NES, SMS, GENESIS, MSX, GAMEBOY-COLOUR and SPECCY are all running smooth with underclocking.
Music player on the Wiz sounds ok with earphones but the controls are rubbish.
Touch screen is good, Graphic quality (0LED) is excellent, Probably better than any other hand-held I own, although smaller than my GP2X(f100).
So far, Only a small number of dedicated touch-screen games are available but they work really well.
UAE4ALL can use touch screen for mouse but accuracy is an issue so far (not good).
Overall build quality is comparable to my NDS.

Roger